“Wonderful relaxing break”

Merkins' Farm Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bradford-on-Avon
Merkins' Farm Cottages
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Puddings Barn last week and had a wondeful, relaxing break. The cottage is cosy, comfortable and well appointed, with great views over the fields. We loved being able to get a delicious cooked breakfast delivered to our door from the farm cafe!

We really enjoyed discovering the area and had great days out in Bath, Longleat and several beautiful National Trust places nearby. Overall, a fantastic place to spend our wedding anniversary and have a last holiday or "babymoon" before our little one joins us. Thank you to Hayley and the team; I'm sure we'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We are a local family who use the cafe now and then and grandparents use the campsite when visiting us several times a year. We are big fans of Merkins, John and Hayley do a lovely job of keeping the site looking beautiful and well kept and seem to be constantly making improvements to the site and cafe. Hayley has done a wonderful job of making a beautiful cafe with lots of interesting bits and bobs and the log burner has been a welcome site on a chilly day.
We camped here two nights ago with two other families with children and had a fab time!! we were not lucky enough to have an electric hook up for our trailer tent or friends caravan but had a fabulous time, really fantastic, regardless of lack of a heater!
We thought we needed 'some thing for the kids to do' but kids being kids found their own fun,with kite flying, assault courses, face painting, bug hunting, running, books, skipping ropes, football, etc etc....

There are two things I would mention:
1) there is no hot water for washing up or hand washing. I would hope this is coming soon, as I do think people expect it for the price.
2) the site can feel a little exposed to the wind, we are locals and had no wind at home, yet up at Merkins it was blowing a hoolie!! (great for kite flying though!)

That said what a great weekend we all had and we will be back again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I recently stayed at this small campsite and although the cafe on site is indeed very good I was extremely dissapointed that there was no hot water for either washing dishes or hands etc. The shower charge is 50p for 8 minutes which is the only way to get hot water unless you heat your own water. I would expect hot water at least for dishes.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Frequenteatout
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Anyone living within 20 miles of Bradford on Avon must come here for breakfast or lunch! I recently stayed in a 5 star hotel in London and commented to my wife that the English breakfast served at Merkins was far superior. I had lunch for the first time last week and it was equally good. The owners and staff are all so friendly and the restaurant is located aside an open field with sheep roaming around. The owners have a love of collecting items from the 50's and 60's and there is a real trip down memory lane looking at the various items in the restaurant. In the winter there is a lovely log burner giving out heat and the atmosphere is unbeatable with families or cyclists on tour stopping for a well earned break. I have not used the camp site, caravan site or cottages but if the standard is echoed from the restaurant, I am sure they are top quality. Do not think twice about visiting this fine gem of a restaurant!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We regularly bring the kids here for lunch or a cooked breakfast. Although the prices have gone up a little, the food remains very good with excellent service (always with a smile!). Our kids were particularly excited to find a little kids trivia quiz on the table at our last visit.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We spent three nights in Puddings Barn, a cosy barn conversion for two. It was warm and comfortable in this bitter spring ; beautifully clean and well appointed, the odd quirky features in the decor add to the experience. When I looked at the guest book I was surprised to see it had been in use since 2007 as everything seemed much newer. Lots of nice touches like Fox's chocolate biscuits as well as tea, coffee and milk ; games, puzzle books, etc. Everything worked as it should.

You can have breakfast delivered from the excellent cafe but we opted to go to the cafe when we were ready. The cafe was bustling and the food superb even though there were only two caravans on the campsite. It is off the main road so can't get passing trade, so locals must make a point of coming here.

The cottages have a separate entrance and parking area from the campsite. Free WiFi, digital TV, a quiet setting and good views. A highly professional family operation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at Merkins last year and had a wonderful time, such a great campsite and the cafe is just perfect so clean and cakes so delicious and there is always a friendly face. I havent stayed again since our last stay but I did look to book for this year and noticed the awful review they have had from a previous review. The camp site is just perfect and the outlook from the cafe couldnt be better please ignore this review and just go to Merkins as you wont get any better campsite and the food is delicious. We will be back again in the summer

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple