“How can Indian food be this bad”

Toran Indian Cuisine
Ranked #7 of 78 Restaurants in Warminster
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Toran has started a new era in Indian Cuisine by providing Healthy Indian Foods. All foods are freshly prepared with no artificial coloring, additive or preservative. It doesn't use butter or ghee for cooking instead it uses vegetable oil, mustard oil. It has wide range of menu which cover the whole Indian sub-continent.It caters for 100 people and welcomes large parties.It is family friendly and has access for disabledIt has large private car park for 40 cars.Local attractions near Toran are - Longleat Safari Park, Center Parc, Bath Spa, Salisbury Cathedral, and Stonehenge
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We arrived at 9pm for a takeaway and ordered a drink while we waited, and waited and waited. The food took over an hour to arrive. We ordered a lamb curry, a tandoori chicken and a special rice. On opening the containers on arriving home (a 10 minute journey) the food was cold, the lamb curry was inedible as it was very tough and you could not cut through it, it tasted awful as well. The tandoori chicken was also tough and the salad that came with it was poor. The rice was overcooked and was grey colour. Needles to say it was a complete waste of money, totally inedible so we opened a can of beans! We will never ever waste our money or our time at the Touran again.

1  Thank 109viv

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I am very wary about Indian cuisine, much of it too hot for my liking, so when my family tried the Toran I was concerned about the after effects you sometimes get from trying new things - but no problem here. All the food is cooked to order, you want your Bhuna mild then just ask, you want more chillies in your Garlic Chicken then just ask. The staff are always courteous and smile a lot. With great timing not waiting too long between courses this is now a firm family favourite.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Based on the rave review three of us paid a visit to the Toran - which is miles from anywhere and based on this visit not worth the effort in my opinion.

I sampled most of the dishes ordered by our party and was not impressed. Top quality Asian cooking such as that from the Aagrah and Mumtaz demonstrates a balance and understanding of spices, textures and flavour that this restaurant simply doesn't., so sorry.

Ordering some of the house specials I found:

Nowabi Chicken - hideously sweet - far too much added sugar which entirely masked the flavours of pistachio, ghee and cashew promised by the description

Makai gosht - promised tender pieces of lamb cooked with herbs and spices with sweetcorn.
Sadly the lamb was incredibly bouncy and rubbery whilst the sauce was very greasy - I enjoyed the corn though

Bhopali fish - ostensibly cod marinated with green spices and cooked in a special fried batter and served as a starter in small pieces - this was essentially beer battered cod and pretty bland - I had a real problem detecting any spice or flavour although the fish and batter were pleasant enough

Portion size was an issue - the main courses were big enough for two people, the rice portions weren't. Service was ok but not particularly empathetic or timely.

Wine and drinks choice was was unimaginative as were vegetarian options and choices for those who don't like Indian food.

On the plus side the Madras sauce was the real thing, the onion bhajis crispy and light and the coconut rice delicate and light.

All in all - I can't see what all the fuss is about - pretty average.

Toran_Indian, Manager at Toran Indian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor team,
With giving the full respect to the customer's opinion given by Mr Keith B dated on 31/03/13; I would like to say that customer has the right to give their opinion on tripadvisor but as a management we have to protect our business from false claim. In his Opinion Mr Keith B mentioned that he had sampled four different things from our menu. Two were very basic items which you will find any Indian Restaurant ,these are Onion Bhaji and Madras Sauce. He gave positive feedback. the other two were our house special dish which are unique dishes to our restaurant and you wont find anywhere. So anyone cannot compare these two things just can put their opinion whether they liked it or not. And unfortunately Mr Kieth mentioned that our Nowabi Chicken was too sweet and plenty of ghee, whereas we don't use any clarified butter (Ghee), and he also mentioned that our Makai Gost the lamb was rubbery. Which I can not agree as we buy the best quality lamb from the market. He also mentioned that Makai gost was greasy which is against our policy as we tell our customers' ''Toran ia healthier choice of Indian cuisine'' and use vegetable oil to cook our foods as low as possible. So how can he say that the food was greasy. you can see the other opinions made by different people about us that we provide non greasy food compare to other indian restaurant.
I do respect mr Kieth's opinion that he didn't like our food; as every person is different. But the comments he made about our food I can not agree.
you may noticed that, after joining to tripadvisor within three months we are the no 1 restaurant in the local area.May be our competitor using false name and want to spread bad reputation in the market.
I hope you understand our situation and remove this comment made by Mr Keith B.
I welcome, if you send someone as a mysterious customer and judge us.
Noman Ruhid
Owner/Manager

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We regularly get takeaways from here and have dined in the restaurant also. Has always been very good and the food isn't swimming in oil, yet is full of flavour. People are polite and courteous.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Have been here a number of times and can not believe the standard of food in this place.
I've eaten in top/best rated Indian restaurants in London but have never experienced the fresh, original flavours and textures at Toran.
An old converted Little Chef, with a large elephant and children’s play area in the front it may not exude the essence of a restaurant presenting you with such a sophisticated dining experience…but this is one of those times not to judge a book by its cover.
Try some of the more unsual dishes, in particular the fish dishes and you won't be dissapointed!