“small, sociable hotel, near Longleat & stonehenge”
Review of Bishopstrow House

Bishopstrow House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Warminster
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days in early July 13.
It totally hit the spot between being special enough that we, as adults, felt like we'd had a treat but not so smart that we spent the whole weekend saying "get your hands off off that" to the kids.
We were lucky that the weather was great. All the kids staying in the hotel met in the small but adequate open air swimming pool & all the parents got chatting. Then, at breakfast and dinner - which were outside on a lovely terrace overlooking fields - all the kids met up again & played together on the lawn next to us. The full Wiltshire breakfast was fantastic !
We had a room next to the spa block which had an upstairs and downstairs so the children's cots were not in the same room as us, so we felt like we had some space to ourselves. I'm not sure how many rooms they had like this.
Longleat, which was just down the road, was a great day out. One very hot day we went to a lake called Shearwater & just hung out in the shade. Stonehenge and Bath are also quite close by.

Room Tip: If you have kids, try to get one of the rooms with an upstairs and downstairs to give adults some sp...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us and that all the family enjoyed their time here.

The team and I very much hope to welcome you back soon - maybe even for a magical Christmas break!

Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My sister booked a spa break weekend package for both of us as a treat. We visited from 5th July to 7th July. Having read the recent mixed reviews on Bishopstrow I went expecting the worse but to my surprise it couldn't have been any better. Yes if I was to be picky there were a few niggles such as drink prices, lack of signposting from spa to changing rooms and pool, dinner service on the Saturday evening, no fan in room etc. but not one of these ruined our stay.

First and foremost I would like to say what exceptional service we had from start to finish. On arrival the reception staff were friendly and helpful. We were taken to our room which actually turned out to be a suite - this was a real surprise and we felt privileged to be upgraded. Because we didn't pay for a suite we obviously thought it was great. However had I paid for it then I would have been slightly disappointed by the pulled threads on the carpet downstairs. The beds were very comfortable but we could have done with a fan in the bedroom as it was upstairs. Downstairs was much cooler! The bathroom was luxurious. A short walk across the courtyard takes you to the spa. Again friendly and accommodating. We had 2 treatments each which were very relaxing. The gym looked well equipped but we didn't use it. I used both the indoor and outdoor pool, spa, sauna and steam room. Understandably being a hot and sunny weekend the outside pool was busy with leisure club members and their children. Granted, there were not enough loungers to go round but the staff did drag all the loungers from around the inside pool outside. There should be some rules that during busy periods children should not be able to use the loungers. I have 2 children myself so am not anti them but I did spot children lying on them. As a parent i wouldn't have allowed this when there were elderly people and pregnant women guests lying on the lawn!

Service in the restaurant on Friday evening and both mornings of our stay was perfect. Nothing was too much trouble. They even made me up my own bowl of fruit salad as I am allergic to kiwi fruit - this was delicious. The food was extremely tasty and very well presented. I can be critical when eating out and paying good money but I can honestly not find one single fault. Saturday night seemed to be a little haphazard. Bearing in mind the heat, the staff were trying to seat people in the conservatory - this really wasn't an option. We had booked a table in the restaurant and Expected to be sat there. I believe there were a few other disgruntled customers too. However after a little debate they did organise a table inside and once again this followed with good service. I did notice a number of customers waiting some time for service though. It may have been the fact that we were in a suite that put us up the pecking order but we can't complain!

So to sum up Bishopstrow House - exceptional service, fantastic food and above all a very relaxing and comfortable place to stay - thank you!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank golfegghead

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that you and your sister both had a wonderful weekend away, and that we were able to complimentary upgrade you to a suite.

Thank you for all of your feedback, which I have passed on to the relevent departments.

I very much hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and set in its own extensive grounds. Our room was large and airy with a very comfortable bed, separate seating area, plenty of storage, private terrace with table and chairs, and an amazingly large bathroom with double shower, double basins and a free standing bath. The only thing which would have improved the room would have been air-conditioning but a fan was provided. We had use of the hotel's spa and both indoor and outdoor swimming pools, two lounges, the terrace where staff were on hand at all times to get you anything you needed. There were two options for dining, the restaurant and the conservatory each with their own menu. The food we had both for dinner and for breakfast was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful and did every to ensure we enjoyed our stay. Amazing for £160 a night including breakfast. Also recommended is the £285 per night Longleat package which included the room, day passes to Longleat and a 3 course dinner in the hotel's restaurant. We have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: The Salisbury room is recommended
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thecottageGuernsey

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at The Bishopstrow Hotel & Spa.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and I have passed your kind comments on to the team.

We all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We used a Time Out voucher to celebrate our wedding anniversary this weekend and sadly left with mixed feelings. The hotel exterior and grounds are lovely, but there was NO attention to detail inside the hotel. We had a dinner, bed and breakfast package, but they had not asked what time we would like dinner when we booked, so on arrival we were given the option of 7pm or 7.15pm (it was already 6.55pm!).
Our room was very big and recently decorated, but there were lots of blown bulbs and very patchy paint on the door (inside and out). Also we were told the dinner menu was there for us to see, but it was actually the wrong menu- which confused things as we came to order.
On arrival at the restaurant we were seated in the conservatory, but soon moved to the terrace as it was too hot inside. We took our menus, and placemats were put down with a jug of tap water- no glasses. It took at least 15 mins to get anyone's attention to get glasses, ask for a wine list and to order food. It was just as bad trying to order wine. Our starters had been served before our wine order was taken. The food looked great, but was very bland and had no flavour and had to be seasoned, once we were able to get the waiter's attention to ask for salt and pepper. They were clearly understaffed and totally disorganised. All of the other diners seemed to be having the same frustrations. We took our left over wine into the Georgian room after dinner and were again disappointed by the lack of service in there (and the number of blown lightbulbs).
The bed was very comfortable and we slept well, but were again let down by breakfast. I placed an idiot-proof order of one poached egg on brown toast and was served 2 poached eggs on white toast! Such a simple thing to get right, which makes it so much more frustrating when it is wrong! The breakfast buffet was fine, but pretty uninspiring.
After breakfast we decided to use the outdoor pool, to find it full of local spa/ gym members which meant that we had to lie on the grass outside the pool (not very comfortable at 8 months pregnant). There were approximately 6 sun loungers and at least 40 people around the pool, which didn't make it very relaxing. Also the access to the spa is down a pack passage past the kitchens and wash up areas (whose doors were propped open) which isn't a great way to get you in the mood!
All in all the hotel could be very nice with a touch of paint here and there, some new lightbulbs, additional staff, attention to detail and some training. I have noticed the service problem is a common theme to the reviews. If the service and food were better, you wouldn't even noticed the maintenance problems.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Julia O
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on your stay at The Bishopstrow Hotel and Spa.

I would like to apologise for the dissappointing aspects of service that you experienced during your stay with us. We pride ourselves in offering high levels of customer service and attention to detail so to read that we have let ourselves down in these core areas is very dissappointing.

Thank you for bring these points to my attention, please be assured we are already working on rectifying these issues as we take all of our guests feedback seriously.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to experience the improvements we are continuously making.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

we had our wedding reception and ceremony at this hotel in May ,despite several pre wedding meetings ,a meeting the day before with a 3 page list of where we would like everything to go we were disappointed! the wedding room for the buffet had been laid up in the wrong room and two guests had not been laid up for (their favors had been shoved under the wedding cake table) we had to have the door to this room open throughout the buffet as it was a tight fit,The ceremony room had not been laid out as we requested ,in fact it was not ready with the cars ,so guests and ushers had to help.The presents for the bridesmaids etc and the cupcakes were lost and had to be found and as the wrong room was laid up ,we had to walk across the hallway to the buffet ,we had not be laid out ,just put on the table. The food however was very good ,but not amazing or surprising and certainly not as good as other hotels we have stayed.Several other areas of service were lacking and there appeared to be no communication between staff and no apology offered when I stated the wrong room had been laid up,The final bill was incorrect. Only after writing to them we were offered a free night and a meal for two ,or a free meal for four ,as we were not impressed with the room(not even bottled water in the room and the cheapest coffee sachets). We went for the meal for four last Saturday.As you go in the entrance of this hotel it is lovely ,guests were having a drink on the patio ,I thought this will be lovely ,but again we found the service very poor ,no attention to detail ,waiters asking the same thing over again ,ie ,ask for the wine menu it does not appear, if we had been paying ,this meal was not value for money we stay at hotels for the same price, that offer amazing food faultless service and drinks and excellent wines and a much better price .We are local people and would like to have added this hotel as one of our local places to eat out with friends but it does not come up to the standard of other local places.

Room Tip: room three has a view of the garden
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank sallydrake
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We booked an overnight break at this hotel in June. The hotel is attractively set in lush grounds. The hotel itself is tastefully, if deliberately, decorated. I ordered afternoon tea, which I found disappointing. The serving was poorly balanced, with only one sandwich served (choose one filling only) and lots and lots of cakes. I think that a more balanced serving between sweet and savoury would have made a better tea experience. No choices of tea were offered. The three slivers of sandwich were insufficient so I ordered an additional round at extra cost, but the server did not explain the additional cost or in fact flag it in anyway, just presenting a bill, which I felt was poor.

The dinner menu was great. I ordered beef, which was pretty good, though it came with very few accompaniments. My lemon dessert was tiny! I don’t think that I've ever seen such a small dessert.

The wine I was served contained sediment (third of glass was left), which again was disappointing. When I flagged this to the waitress she immediately whisked it away, the head waiter then arrived and quizzed me on the wine – all fine, until he asked me if I had crumbled bread into it! I have never been so insulted! Anyway all in all an okay experience, just not as good as I had hoped for.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bargainsgalorecat

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am dissappointed to read that there were aspects of your experience that did not meet your expectations. I am sorry that the mix of savoury and sweet in the Afternoon Tea was not to your preference and have passed this on to Chef as we take all of our guests comments on board.

Equally I am dissappointed to read that there were elements of the dinner service that did not live up to the high level we pride ourselves on offering. I can only apologise for there being sediment in the wine and I have spoken to the Team Member involved who assures me whilst apologising they were only trying to make a light-hearted joke with you.

Please be assured we have a very thorough training plan in process which we are currently revising and revisiting to be able to constantly improve our services.

Aside from these issues, I am pleased to read that you had an otherwise pleasant stay and I do hope you will visit again.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the start of June. The hotel itself is fabulous - we had booked a superior room and were given number 1 in the main house. The room itself was huge, with a lovely spacious bathroom as well. High ceilings, large windows, and tasteful decor ensured the room looked great.

The restaurant was very nice and the food tasty. The service was attentive but not fussy which was good. The breakfast was also plentiful and delicious. Our rate included dinner on both nights, and on checkout I was surprised when I had been charged for dinner. The receptionist was quick to correct this error, however I was informed that the dinner allowance was £35 a head. This was the first I'd heard of this allowance so had to pay extra for our meal. I understand them charging for drinks but the allowance should be made clear upfront.

The spa facilities were nice but slightly confusing at first - the changing rooms are not well signed from the hotel, and it feels a bit like a maze of narrow corridors. You need a pound coin for a locker, and remember to go to the spa reception for a towel first. The changing rooms are tiny - barely enough room if three people are in there at once! The indoor pool was nice and a comfortable temperature. The outdoor pool we didn't try as it was busy with kids when we were there (it was half term). We did have a massage in the spa and it was very relaxing.

The location is great - you can walk around the grounds, along the river bank. The hotel is also close to Warminster, Longleat, and Bath.

In summary it's a lovely hotel, let down by a few small points.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house for period features and high ceilings
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on your overnight stay.

I am delighted to read that you had such a great stay with us - Room 1 is certainly a beautiful room with plenty of character.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the service and food - I have passed these onto the team here.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Bishopstrow Hotel in the future.

Jason Thorley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warminster
Beechfield House
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Woolley Grange
Woolley Grange
#2 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to Bishopstrow House? Share your experiences!