“Relaxation in Tranquil Surroundings”
Review of Bishopstrow House

Bishopstrow House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Warminster
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I visited this hotel from 17th to 19th June on a half-board package booked through Secret Escapes.

We were greeted by a friendly receptionist and shown to our room in The Courtyard.
The room was superb. Large, comfortable and properly cleaned. And there were sufficient hangers in the wardrobe. The bathroom was a proper wet room with bath and shower and large fluffy towels. Snug bathrobes and slippers were also supplied. A problem with the lighting was quickly dealt with.

The lounges are comfy and lend a traditional feel to the hotel.

Mulberry restaurant was very good. The service was attentive and friendly and the view over the surrounding countryside added to a sense of tranquillity. The breakfasts were excellent.

We loved the grounds especially walking in the fields by the river

But a touch penny-penny pinching. We could buy a glass of champagne (at champagne prices), but could not buy a glass of prosecco even though this was sold by the bottle. And should vegetables with the evening meal really be a chargeable extra?

Overall though this was an excellent relaxing break in a lovely part of the country. serviced by excellent staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Bishopstrow Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderfully relaxing stay and enjoyed the luxury bedrooms on offer. I have passed your kind comments on to the team here.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Online, this looks like a great hotel and the price sets a standard for luxury and quality, however, this is not the case. We were in the duluxe room; the linen smelt like wet laundry and we had an infestation of flying ants in the shower which was then doused by staff with bleach so - when we returned to our room, the room smelt like a potent hospital.

The rooms are basic, included little luxury and no bar fridge. There was also no air conditioning and the beds where 2 singles pushed together which kept creeping apart at night.

The spa was a disappointment. The roof was tacky and stained and the outside of the pool had mould growing and unpainted concrete. No water coolers or drinking facilities were available.

Ouside the hotel, you could wander for a walk - only to find the maintenance kits like wheelbarrorw, paint pots, rubble and old carpet lying in the shrubs. It was very unsightly.

Throughout the hotel, a number of areas required paint work and decoration. As you walk from the bedrooms to the main reception and dining area, you pass almost through the kitchen through some grubby badly stained doors and floor which does not set the tone for a relaxing or luxurious weekend.

The service was slow and all the staff spoke poor english. While this is not a problem, it was in no way warm or inviting service. On checking out with a 750gbp bill for 2 nights, we were not asked how we enjoyed our stay, wished a safe trip or a goodbye. The staff were cold and simply 'job doers'. Whilst I could have complained, I couldn't be bothered because of the lack of attention to detail and uncaring attitude of the staff.

While these comments may seem petty, the point is that you pay for what you get. When you are paying a premium rate for a few nights away you expect the simple things to be taken care of and a friendly, discreet and genuine service.

2  Thank tillytastic

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at The Bishopstrow Hotel & Spa.

I was dissappointed to read that many aspects of your stay fell short of your expectations. The Deluxe Rooms were fully refurbished in 2012 and although our bedrooms do not have mini bars or air-conditioning - we feel this is not in keeping with the country house setting - please be assured all furniture, decorations and linen provided in the rooms are of the highest quality.

There are 27 acres of gardens and grounds at the hotel including some stunning scenery along the river gardens beside the River Wylye, I can only apologise that you did not find this beautiful walk.

I am sorry to read that you experienced poor service during your stay, this is certainly not up to the high standards we pride ourselves on offering and I have raised this with the Food & Beverage Manager so that he can re-visit the training programme we have in place and are continually working on. Although some of our staff members are from outside the UK, we consider their English to be more than adequate.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Firstly I would like to say thank you very much from myself and my partner for a fantastic weekend! We were lucky enough to win a 2 night stay at the Bishopstrow House and a trip to Longleat. We had a Great time, Romantic, relaxing and fun!
The room was brilliant (20) with a super bathroom and French doors on to a grassed area.
The food was lovely and so was the wine!
Our trip to Longleat and guided tour was amazing we even fed the giraffe!
Staff were very helpful and happy, we will defiantly be back with our son next year.

Once again we really appreciated our prize thank you so much

Sam & Scott

Room Tip: Room 20 was lovely, large room with large bathroom, roll top bath and wet room style shower. French...

Dear Sam & Scott

It was a pleasure to welcome you both back to The Bishopstrow Hotel and I am delighted to read that you had another fantastic stay with us!

The team and I all look forward to welcoming you back next year with your little one in tow!

Kindest Regards

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for two nights after getting married near by. I thought that we would be ready for a relaxing break after all those preparations and this location was just perfect. We even managed to get in the outdoor pool on one day, as it was heated and the sun was shining. The staff were all very polite and helpful, it was a true delight to stay here. We will definitely visit again. We booked a spa weekend deal which is most worth while. The spa was clean and had plenty of facilities and again the staff were all very friendly and helpful, plus it wasn't too busy. Children were allowed in the pool but only at certain times of the day, which was fine with us. Throughout the whole site the decor and fixtures and fittings were all stunning. Do eat in the restaurant if you get chance the food was spectacular. On our day of departure we went to Longleat safari park which was only a short drive away.

Room Tip: Those who have difficulty walking should pick a lower floor as our room was up two flights of stairs...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amy230513

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Bishopstrow Hotel & Spa

Firstly I would like to wish you both congratulations!

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us, and were really able to relax and unwind after your big day!

The team and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Yes, this sadly let down what would have been an almost perfect stay, in perfect weather at this hotel. Through our large sash window all we could see was the roofs of the kitchens and dining rooms and their air vents, with the tops of some trees in the distance.
The room (no. 6) was spacious and comfortable, clean and appropriately furnished and decorated with a large bed, window facing sofa and a very luxurious bathroom.This gave us the choice of roll top bath or walk in shower with a great showerhead.
Everything was provided in the main room including no less than three fans. We were fortunate to have glorious weather so this was appreciated.
The food in the dining room was for us excellent. I say 'for us' because we had eaten a very good tea of jam and cream scones on the terrace a little earlier so the small portions suited us very well. They were delicious, imaginative and camera worthy. If you have a healthy appetite you will need some side orders.
We did not have our usual pre-dinner drinks but I took a look at the bar menu. Am I old fashioned -Yes, perhaps ,but is their price of £8.50 the usual price for a martini these days? Some cocktails were £4 more.
Both swimming pools were wonderful. We used the inside pool but there were more people enjoying the outside one, nicely placed in a walled area with sunbeds and with very warm water. What a treat in our British climate.
Don't leave without taking the walk to the river. It is dellightful. Just enoug has been done with grass cutting and pruning to allow one to enjoy a walk through natural flower filled meadows. I cannot say that it has been left unspoiled so much as it has been deliberately not spoiled.
The staff were wonderful, friendly and helpful.
Special greetings to Annemarie(one name) for being so kind, efficient and helpful- give her a raise. We hope you and your friends have a wonderful time in Cyprus.
Margaret Phillips

Room Tip: If you like a view, as I do avoid room no. 6.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Mrs Phillips

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and I have passed your thanks on to AnneMarie.

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the view from your room - Room 6 is a beautiful spacious bedromo in the main house and although the very initial view is as you say, there is also a good view of the gardens at the back.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast offer, and while we had a great stay, we felt the hotel let itself down in a few areas.
The positives: We had a superior room at the top of the original house. The room was very nice and spacious, and had the character you’d expect being part of an old house. We took advantage of the Spa –which was excellent, and a heated outdoor pool was a pleasant surprise. The spa treatments, while not cheap, were very relaxing.

Now to the points where the hotel let itself down.
1. While we had a package that Included dinner, we were charged extra for side orders of vegetables and for coffee, even though we chose not to take the desert course that was included in our package. The food was overall not bad overall, but I would have expected more from the prices charged and would expect side orders and coffee to be included in the package.
2. The service was very hit and miss. On the first night the staff were very attentive, brought us menus to order from while we had a pre-dinner drink in the lounge. But the second night was a completely different story – we had to leave the lounge to request menus, and again to try and find someone to take our order. The staff also seemed genuinely annoyed to be taking our orders as well. Eventually we sat down to eat, 45 minutes after the time we had booked. This also seemed a little strange after we were asked to arrive at a specific time.
3. Charging £5.20 for a lime and soda water, is in my view ridiculous, and more than I have ever paid for such a drink. We challenged the hotel when we saw the bill, but were told that was the price.

Overall, the hotel as a lot of positives – the house has a lovely traditional feel, is in a peaceful location and the spa is very good. However, after you have paid a considerable amount for the stay, to be charged extra for vegetables, and coffee when you have a dinner, bed and breakfast package and £5.20 for a soda water leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. A lot would need to change for us to return.

Room Tip: stay in the main building
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zen_B99

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the room, spa and food on offer.

However, I am sorry to read that you felt the drinks and side orders were expensive; there are full menu details available on our website so that you can see this prior to arrival.

We hope to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Me and my nan came here yesterday for a Purely pampered day. We had a fantastic day the staff was really helpful and friendly my therapist Linda was really good and listened to how i liked to be massaged and she explained the products she was using so i knew what products to buy after. The spa itself was very clean and quiet. Lunch was lovely we both had a Prawn Cocktail for starters, and Butter Chicken Breast with cabbage leaves, garlic and herby potatoes and chatenay carrots. All was beautifully presented and tastes wonderful. Would suggest this hotel and spa to my friends. My nan has been to alot of Spa's and Health farms in her younger days and she said yesterday by far this was the best one she had been to. A big well done to everyone at Bishopstrow House and Spa. Will see you all again in the next few months..

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on your recent spa day.

I am delighted to read that you and your Nan had such a great day with us, and that the halcyon spa was the best spa she had ever visited!

I have passed all of your fantastic feedback on to the team and we all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Jason Thorley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warminster
Beechfield House
Lucknam Park
Lucknam Park
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Holiday Inn Express Bath

Been to Bishopstrow House? Share your experiences!