“Excellent Spa Treatments”
Review of Bishopstrow House

Bishopstrow House
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Warminster
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife & I booked a spa day and stayed the night at Bishopstrow House recently. It is a local hotel for us and we were especially interested in taking advantage of the Elemis Spa at the hotel. We booked online and secured a package deal which included one nigt in a standard room, dinner, bed & breakfast and a 30 minute spa treatment. But we wanted more! So we booked an additional 110 minute top-of-the-range spa experience too.

As I've said, we live relatively close to the hotel and getting there was no problem at all. We had been looking forward to our night out and arrived with great expectations for our stay. We knew in advance that the room wouldn't be available until 3pm, but that didn't prevent access to the spa and we were able to use the pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and (if we had been brave enough) the outdoor pool - which we gave a wide berth despite a fantastic sunny day! April in England just isn't warm enough!

We started with a light lunch on the patio accompanied by a small glass of a rather nice white wine, just to bridge the gap between breakfast and dinner before changing into our swimwear for the spa. There were a selection of 'free' lockers but, by the time we got there they were either all being used or out of service. There are additinal lockers in the changing rooms but you'll need a £1 coin to operate them. Fortunately my wife did and both our sets of clothing went into one. I can only speak about the male changing room, but would describe it as small and in need of a bit of TLC. The changing rooms lead through to the indoor pool and jacuzzi. There were about 6 loungers here and an exit to the outdoor pool and grounds. The pool was nicely heated and the two-speed turbo jacuzzi was great!

To gain access to the other rooms in the spa, and a gymnasium suite, it was back through the changing rooms and along a corridor. We had been given towels but were told that our gowns and slippers were in our room - which we couldn't yet access! Not the end of the world but a minor inconvenience as most other guests did have theirs! Staying within the confines of the spa it wasn't really an issue though. The steam room was certainly steamy and the sauna had a good dry heat. There's a multi-option shower in between and youcan enjoy a 'Sea Mist' or 'Tropical Downpour' after your steam treatment. Beware, the monsoon at the end of that tropical downpour is absolutely freezing cold!

The facilities are what you would probably expect from a spa and, while they did what they were supposed to, there really isn't much more to say.

We checked into our room before heading down for our spa treatments. Armed now with robes and slippers we looked much more the part and arrived in plenty of time to complete the mandatory paperwork that accompanies any of the treatments. We were seated in a relaxation room where there were herbal teas and water to enjoy before our therapists whisked us off to our respective treatments.

I'm afraid I really can't recall the name of the treatment I had but it comprised of a full-body massage, facial (as a man's man I believe my father would balk at the prospect of his son undergoing such things!) before a head massage completed the 110 minutes we had booked. I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed every second, every hand stroke and every sensation. I'm not sure, and I'm convinced my therapist wouldn't have told me if I had, but I recall fighting very hard not to fall asleep......unsuccessfully! I recently read in a book that to fall asleep in the company of a total stranger is either very silly or a real compliment! I had nothing worth running away with (!) so I can only recommend the wonderful talent that my therapist displayed with her massage technique. Blissful! While not exactly cheap, I would argue ono behalf of the spa that it was worth every single penny!

The standard room was decorated in a contemporary style. It was warm, clean and well-equipped with the usual range of accoutrements to make life comfortable. A large bed with twin zip-together mattresses proved very comfortable and we both enjoyed a good nights' sleep. There was plenty of hanging & storage space in the room and a well chosen flat screen television to watch. There were tea & coffee making facilities and a decent selection of brews to chose from. The bathroom was fitted with a toilet, wash basin and bath with a shower over it. It was clean and there was a selection of toiletries to use. It was very narrow though and there wasn't a great deal of elbow room for the more broad-shouldered amongst us...!

We enjoyed a three-course dinner. We would recommend the hot & cold prawn cocktail and the duck starters. Both very well cooked and presented. We enjoyed Sea Bass and Somerset Pork dishes for our mains and were both very happy. The fish is served in a curried mushroom and mussel veloute; the pork comprised of a healthy slice of fillet, pigs cheek (delicious!), pork belly and hogs pudding. Lots to chose from I can assure you! We ordered side dishes of curly kale and herbed new potatoes. The menu didn't mention anything about any sort of potato with the pork and I was surprised when it was erved on a bed of mash/pureed spud meaning the side dish was a little redundant - though I tried my best! For dessert we enjoyed the 'Blackcurrant' medley and the pear & almod tart. Both very nice indeed. A light brew of coffee and petit fours rounded the evening off nicely. Breakfast the following morning was just as good. There were the usual suspects in terms of cereals and fruit etc. The full Wiltshire breakfast was throughly delicious!

The one constant theme throughout each aspect of the stay was the friendly, helpful and courteous nature of the staff. Without exception the staff were fabulous.

We both agreed that the highlights of the stay were the fabulous massages we enjoyed and the wonderful food we ate. Coupled with fantastic service we both agreed that the stay was well worth what we paid and would have no hesitation in recommending Bishopstrow House to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to The Bishopstrow.

I am delighted to read that you had such a great stay, and I have passed all of your wonderful comments on to the team.

We all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My boyfriend booked for myself and him to stay over night at Bishopstrow house. We arrived on Wednesday 17th April afternoon where we were greeted with a lovely receptionist who was very helpful at checking us in. We were then shown to our rooms where our bags were carried for us (very helpful as mine were heavy!)..We were pleasantly surprised when she opened the door to find a lounge area and then a door leading into a comfortable sized room which was decorated beautifully. (I must say the truffles are to die for..an extra £9 worth paying!) :-D We had a massage booked for 4 which I must say was possibly one of the best massages I have ever received..the relaxation room where you wait for your therapist is decorated lovely with a selection of different drinks, comfortable seating and headphones with lovely relaxing music. The staff within the spa/pool area are ever so friendly and helpful. We were also pleased to see that the facilities weren't busy at all..we still felt like we had the place to ourselves even though other people were using them. I decided to have a shower which is where things went wrong. The bathroom is a wet room so technically the water from the shower should have drained away however the room started to flood and water seeped under the door through onto the carpet to which me and my boyfriend panicked! However, this was all solved by receptionist giving us some more towels and telling us they could move us into a different room just 2 doors down to save us having any more trouble..we agreed presuming we would be taken into another club room (which is the room was had originally booked) however we were greeted by a room called the 'Dorchester' and it was absolutely gorgeous! The hotel kindly upgraded us to one of their best rooms..it had a massive lounge area with an L shaped sofa..beautiful mirrors and furniture, one of the biggest and comfiest beds we've ever slept it and the bathroom was to die for! We couldn't have asked for better service. We also had dinner and breakfast..the food was lovely and the service was just as good!

If you are looking for a short relaxing get away, good value for money and great service..this is the place! We absolutely loved our stay here and wished we could have stayed longer and will definitely coming back!!! :)

PS not the place to go if you are looking for a busy town..very remote but beautiful surrounding!

Room Tip: We originally had a club room (second cheapest) and it was beautiful! All rooms are decorated lovely...

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful time, and enjoyed all of the facilities and services on offer.

I have passed your feedback on to the team and we all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here for four nights with work colleagues, as we had a work project nearby.

First the good points:

The bedrooms and bathrooms all seem to be very big, the bedrooms with large beds and sofas, the bathrooms with twin showers and a tub.

If you choose well, you can eat a good dinner in the restaurant: order from the all-day menu *not* the à la carte. I thought the chicken liver parfait starter was excellent, the steaks, and fish and chips, were also very good.

In the common rooms the log fires seemed to be well-tended on cold days. (There was snow outside when we stayed).

Wi-fi was reliable, easy to connect to, and free.

The price of the room included breakfast, use of the spa, and a few nice extras such as an overnight shoe-shine service.

Most of the staff were friendly and eager to please.

Unfortunately the list of bad points is much longer:

Most of the people I was with agreed that the beds were uncomfortable. My double bed was actually two singles pushed together, with a crevice down the middle. My sofa was a pull-out bed, so not very comfortable for sitting on.

The restaurant à la carte menu (£9 each for starters and puddings, £27 for mains), takes small portions to an extreme for some dishes: soup was a small puddle served in a huge bowl and the pork was about the size of three large sugar-cubes. Despite being ordered by a 6’4” male colleague, the waitress did not explain to him that the portion was minuscule, and that he might need some side-orders to go with it. (I later found out that another colleague had tried the à la carte pork the previous week, and then ordered another course afterwards, as he was still so hungry!)

One evening we reserved a table for 8pm. At 7.30 menus were brought to us where we were having a drink in the drawing room, and we ordered our food at 7.40. We sat down at 8.00 but our starters did not arrive until 8.40. As well as being so slow, service was erratic: some people had their wine-glasses re-filled repeatedly by the waitress, while others sat enviously with empty glasses!

Breakfast was variable: there were plenty of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, etc., but the cooked options were less successful, and the coffee was usually weak (we experimented with ordering cappuccino and espresso, but it didn’t make much difference). Bread was of the tasteless ready-sliced from a supermarket variety, not home-made, which is strange because the bread served at dinner claimed to be homemade, and certainly arrived warm from the oven.

On the first day we had packed lunches (£8.50 each) each of which consisted of a rather old apple, two sandwiches made with un-fresh supermarket sliced bread, a packet of Walker’s crisps, a small bottle of water, and a small slice of fruitcake. We had planned to have a packed lunch every day of our stay, but after that dismal experience we bought sandwiches, fruit, etc. from a local Waitrose instead, and as a result had MUCH better lunches for half the price.

I wanted to try the spa on my last evening, so I wandered around the rabbit-warren corridors until I found the reception. The woman there told me to go back to my room to fetch a towel and change into a bathrobe, and then she would show me where things were. (I had assumed that the spa would have its own changing-room and towels). When I returned 5 minutes later the reception was empty. I waited 15 minutes, and although I could hear the receptionist chatting (to a friend?) in a treatment-room nearby, I didn’t want to risk walking in on a half-naked woman having a massage, so I just waited patiently. Eventually I just gave up, and so I never did get to try the spa!

As I was on a work-trip, and therefore not paying, I can’t really complain too much, but the hotel, restaurant, and spa all fell well below the standards I expected. My colleagues were equally unhappy with various features of the rooms, beds, food, etc.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JdeP

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent work trip.

I am pleased to read that there were many positive aspects to your stay; however, I note that there were also a few things that did not meet your expectations.

Here at The Bishopstrow, we take all of our guests comments on board and will action where possible as we are constantly striving to improve and exceed all of our guests expectations.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to experience the changes we are making.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here on 1st January... taken me a while to get round to writing this review!

Hubby and I needed a quiet night away from everything, following on from illness and the craziness that is Christmas we decided to book a night at Bishopstrow to get away from it all.

We only live locally and I'd visited previously for spa days so knew that we would get just what we needed from our night away without having to travel too far or have the worry of going somewhere new that doesnt live up to expectations!

Arrived early for lunch, being New Years Day the hotel was very quiet - we had lunch from the bar menu and sat in the newly refurbished library which was gorgeous. A nice atmosphere and quirky furniture. Lovely food - had the Butternut Squash Risotto and hubby had Steak Baguette

Checked in to our room - Longleat Suite which was a Deluxe Room - was perfect, lovely little sitting area, private patio, huge bathroom with shower and large tub. Lots of features to the room, high cielings and exposed beams - gorgeous! plus all the extras you would expect from a hotel of this standard - elemis products, fluffy towels and robes

Dinner in the restaurant lived up to expectations, not too busy but a nice atmosphere. food simply stunning - heads up to Chef. Had drinks in the lounge before and coffee afterwards before renting a DVD from them to chill out.

Didnt visit the spa on this occassion, but having visited previously (and am booked in for a treatment there this month) i can say it is just as good as the rest of the hotel.

Overall, a wonderfully peaceful and relaxing break that we both needed. Many thanks to all the staff who could not have been more friendly and helpful.

See you again soon Bishopstrow!

Room Tip: Book Longleat Room for privacy and a good nights sleep!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Soton1988

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay and enjoyed the peace & quiet!

The team and I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We enjoyed a mini spa break at Bishopstrow to celebrate our wedding anniversary this last weekend. From the minute we arrived the staff were courteous and efficient. Our room at the very top of the hotel was huge with a modern bathroom and extremely comfortable bed. The spa area has 2 pools, indoor and out, a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. As part of our package my husband had a back massage, and I had a facial - both extremely relaxing.
Dinner in the restaurant was delightful - huge choice and a good wine menus to accompany it. After dinner we have tea and coffee in the library which was candlelit with a large number of comfortable sofas and chairs.
The grounds are extensive - perfect for a walk in the fresh air. The hotel is close to Longleat and prides itself on being both dog and child friendly, although we had neither with us on this occasion.
We will definitely go back.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable anniversary break.

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments - I have passed them all onto the team and we all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed a fabulous night in our Superior suite (was upgraded from a double, which was a very nice surprise) on 10/04/2013. Lovely pool and jacuzzi. Breakfast great. Close to Longleat. Wished we could have stayed longer. Products in the gorgeous bathroom, Elemis- very nice.

Room Tip: Room, 10 -Superior room/suite- good for a family.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you and your daughter had such a wonderful stay and that we were able to complimentary upgrade you to a larger room.

The team and I all hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We couldn't fault the Hotel in anyway. We hadn't stayed here before and wanted to stay somewhere in between Longleat and Stonehenge. The concierge greeted us with a smile and helped with our luggage to our room and James on the front desk was very attentive.
The room was large and great for a family with a comfy kingsize bed and two twin beds and a couch in the living room area, it was a little too warm for my husband so we turned off the radiator in the room. It was clean and cosy, with complemenrty bottled water, the walk-in shower was great to have and my 5 year old daughter loved the standalone deep bath. And don't worry if you forget your shampoo they supply a delightful range of Elemis Spa shampoo and conditioner and body lotions for you to enjoy.
The indoor pool was great and temperature of the water was warm, even for me! There was six lounge chairs around the pool with a jacuzzi. We didn't use the steam room or any of the other facilities, but they supply you with towels, robes, slippers and complementary water.
We booked an early dinner and eat in the conservatory. I choose from the A La Carte menu and experienced the Monkfish, which was exceptionally beautiful and well presented. Whereby, my husband choose from the All Day Menu and ordered the Bishopstrow House Burger which again was very filling. The kids menu had lots to choose from. The waiter service was excellent and very attentive towards my daughter, which made the whole evening very relaxing and enjoyable.
The breakfast selection was excellent ad plentiful, I loved my smoked salmon on a toasted bagel with scrabbled egg, my husband had the full English with two rounds of mxed toast!
Before we left, we had a walk around the grounds outside, where we saw 6 deers, 2 rabbits and fitted in a game of hide and seek around the grounds which are very well maintained and followed the signs to the river which runs along the hotel.
I would like to take this opportunity to commend the staff and for making our stay exceptionally enjoyable.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 16 on second floor, spacious and stylish
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Bishopstrow, General Manager at Bishopstrow House, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us

I am delighted to read that you and your family had such a great stay at The Bishopstrow, and that your daughter had such a fun time!

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Jason Thorley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Warminster
Widbrook Grange
Travelodge Warminster
Travelodge Warminster
#2 of 3 in Warminster
Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort

Been to Bishopstrow House? Share your experiences!