“Spa Break”
Review of Roe Park Resort

Roe Park Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Limavady
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 day spa break at the hotel. As a group of three ladies we booked a family suite which was one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in.With double aspect windows overlooking the golf course a queen bed and two singels, a fridge and tea /coffee facilities, room safe ect we had all you could ask for. Breakfast was self service and offered lots of choice with friendly staff bringing ample piping hot tea / coffee and clearing tables. We spent one evening at the Greens restaurant and had a wonderful time. The food was great and our waiter attentive. Overall we had a fantastic time and will return again.

Room Tip: Bring your own swimming hats as they must be worn in the pool
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Roe_Park_Resort, Manager at Roe Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Valerie, Many thanks for your review.. Im delighted you and your ladies enjoyed your spa break with us at the Roe Park and we look forward to seeing you next time! Many Thanks, Staff at Roe Park Resort

There are newer reviews for Roe Park Resort

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed at the Roe Park Resort a few times and find it great each time. The food in the Greens room is lovely but for diabetics there is no desserts to suit, only the same fruit salad that is used at breakfast time. The Coach House serves nice food but the staff seems to consist mainly of part time students and some of them not interested in diners requirements. Id like to suggest Omelets be added to the breakfast menu!. The staff in the main hotel ane lovely and very helpful. Complemntary newspapers are on hand and free internet wi fi. Id return again however, and would recommend it to anyone wanting a nice break.

Room Tip: Ground floors can be noisy on a Saturday night!.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review.. Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at the Roe Park and we look forward to seeing you next time! Many Thanks, Staff at Roe Park Resort

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have nothing but praise for the room (spacious, well equipped and tastefully decorated) and facilities, although the heat had been off in our bedroom and it took an age, and an extra fan heater to get the temperature up to an acceptable level. We heard other guests voicing a similar complaint. The staff were friendly and helpful.

On our arrival we had a late lunch in the Coach House bistro - the food was good and reasonable priced. However, as our package included one evening meal, we later dined that evening in Greens restaurant, and that was sadly, a different experience.

The dining room is pleasant and the staff helpful, and the breakfast there are very good, however it was disappointing that the dinner package price exluded a few of the main course dishes - which attracted a supplement - and "sides" (which must be bought separately at £2.50 each).

Trying to stick to a budget, I decided not to splash out the extra on a steak, but to go for the "slow-cooked beef" which was included in the package instead. That was a mistake! I can honestly say that I have never been served a more inedible piece of beef in my life. I was expecting a succulent treat, however it was so over-cooked that dry cream crackers or oatcakes would have been easier to swallow.

Not wishing to make a fuss, I soldiered on until the waitress asked if all was "ok". When I replied that the beef was disappointing, she offered to take it back to the kitchen, but as I didn't want to sit watching my wife eat, then for her to sit watching me, I declined her offer, so she siad she could bring more "sauce" - gravy to you and me! I said that would help, but it didn't really.

A few minutes later she asked after my welfare again. Again, not wishing to make a fuss, I said that I was disppointed, but would press on, which i did, until finally beaten with about 1/3 meat unfinished.

What really annoyed me was when the waitress came to clear the plates she told me she had mentioned in to the chef who apparently replied that it was slow-cooked beef after all, and what did I expect!!! Mistake happen, I know, however one doesn't expect the chef of a 4-star establishment to try to justify serving oatcakes for beef!

We noticed a couple of other diners also sent back the beef unfinished - says it all!

PS. Everything was over-seasoned too.

1  Thank Stephen H

Dear Stephen, I am sincerely disappointed that you were not satisfied with your recent meal in Greens restaurant and it is also disappointing to hear you may not return. We hope that you would reconsider the Roe Park for future short breaks. Kindest Regards, Staff at Roe Park Resort

Reviewed January 20, 2013

After a lovely time at Roe Park in October I was back again for a weekend away. This time we booked a suite and it was well worth the little extra it cost. The staff were as friendly and welcoming as I remembered and the suite was beauiful. The evening entertainment in the bar was great fun with the singer getting everyone involved in the banter. The fantastic breakfast really sets you up for the day and we always eat in the Coach House in the evening were the quality and prices just cant be beat. Again we were lucky with the weather and the hotel is such a great base for exploring the stunning coast and hills. I really would recommend Roe Park to everyone.

1  Thank Jennifer M

Dear Jennifer, Many thanks for your review.. Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at the Roe Park and we look forward to seeing you next time! Many Thanks, Staff at Roe Park Resort

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed for one Saturday night for rest and relaxation, 2 adults and a boistrous 6 year old. Room excellent, bed very comfortable. Ate at the golf club bistro the Coach House I think it was called. Food was excellent. Food on children's menu very good, my son had the children's pizza which was fully loaded with toppings and looked delicious. For adults I would recommend the starter for sharing and add the chilli beef! Burgers to die for, loved the tobacco onions. Staff throughout the hotel and restaurants very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was superb with vast choice of fresh friut, porridge and Ulster fry items although bacon lacked taste. Used swimming pool , ideal for families but could be annoying for an adult trying to do serious swimming. Jacuzzi and sauna perfect temperature for my liking but steam room disappointing as was not as hot as I expected, even my husband who is not fond of heat thought it was on the cool side! Browsed around the shops in Limavady and found some lovely niknak ( for want of a better word) shops. Would recommend driving out the Seacoast Road to Benone Beach. Beautiful beach to walk on and de-stress, even in January! Can't wait for an excuse to return

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valerie, Many thanks for your review.. Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at the Roe Park and we look forward to seeing you next time! Many Thanks, Staff at Roe Park Resort

Reviewed January 14, 2013

After numerous meals and stays in Roe Park over the last 8 years or so, the time has come to never return. We stayed in Room 153 - the Lilac room which remains the best hotel room we have stayed in. Spa treatments were very good and the bar scene/entertainment was also very good. Overall, service was better than our last stay. We have never had a bad meal in the Coach House and wish we had decided to eat there this time. But foolishly we plumped for Greens where we have never had a remotely decent meal and avoid it like the plague. On one occasion we were offered a free return visit, room/food due to the totally dire food served in the restaurant - it was totally inedible and stale verging on out of date processed rubbish. But recent reports convinced us they had raised their game - even the Spa staff said there was a new regime in place in Greens and it was much better. Sadly we were mistaken.

About half empty, we were shown to our 7.30 table and the bright lighting, decor, scrunched up long curtains on top of radiators gave it a high tea ambiance, not fine dining. What about dimmer lighting and candles on tables and a more neutral colour palette on the walls?. After 15 mins, no-one returned to take our drinks order so we had to flag someone down for that. Starters of Duck terrine and garlic mushrooms were probably the highlight of the meal. But there was no hint of garlic in the mushrooms and maybe the terrine could have come with some melba toast or wheaten bread but it was nice enough.

My wifes main of salmon came with chorizo orzo with saffron cream. Well it wasnt orzo but a very stodgy rice akin to pudding rice, hardly any chorizo and no hint of saffron. We queried the dish with the waitress and she insisted it was Orzo. It wasnt Im afraid. No - it is Orzo she insisted explaining as if we didnt know exactly what Orzo was. We asked her to speak to the Chef as she would not listen to us. The restaurant manager appeared and apologised saying that the chef had ran out of Orzo and replaced it with rice and had not told anyone (exact words). Still, the salmon wasnt bad but the matter could have been handled better. My pork medallions were unremarkable and the wording of the dish sounded wonderful with a mozzarella glaze but was just a blob of melted cheese at the side - only average.

My rice pudding with rhubarb and ginger was good - no complaints there. My wife had the Pannacotta that came with a raspberry and orange compote with hazelnut biscoti - sounds great doesnt it. Except it didnt and wasnt. A Compote is stewed fruit in sugar syrup with the option of additional flavourings/spices. On the plate was some rasberries and chopped up orange with the membrane on (not cooked). The biscoti was shortbread with no hazelnut. We queried this and was told it was the chefs interpretation of biscoti and compote. It was neither (but the pannacotta was very good).

The irish coffee came with no sugar in the coffee but sachets of sugar so once that was stirred in it was no longer an irish coffee. Irish coffee should have the sugar in it from the start.

We got the irish coffee taken off the bil for the Orzo fiasco.

I think if Greens had a smaller, simpler menu with more honesty involved it would be far far better - i mean there are 4 fish dishes and 3 chicken dishes alone - a couple of dishes too many surely. The chef makes up fine, appealing wordings for the dishes but then fails to give you what you are promised. Thats plain annoying.

If you go to Roe Park, you will have a good time if you dont go to Greens.

We've had enough - too much very wrong every time we go.

Breakfast, as ever was very good, and better service on this occasion than the last time we were there.

On check out we were asked if we had a good time and we said No. And that was that. No interest really.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, for a treat, room 153.
6  Thank 2016-Paul
Roe_Park_Resort, Manager at Roe Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Guest, I am sincerely disappointed that you were not satisfied with your recent meal in Greens restaurant and it is also disappointing to hear you may not return. We hope that you would reconsider the Roe Park for future short breaks. Kindest Regards, Staff at Roe Park Resort

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just back from a weekend at the Roe Park Resort, its our second stay here. The hotel is great, the staff are all very friendly and helpful. It makes for a perfect weekend getaway.
Hopefully will be back soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near Limavady
Redcastle Hotel
#3 of 3 in Bushmills
City Hotel
City Hotel
#7 of 13 in Derry

Been to Roe Park Resort? Share your experiences!