“A bit better than average..”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Roe Park Resort

Roe Park Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Limavady
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A bit better than average..”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I stayed in the Radisson Blu with my extended family for a girlie weekend away before my A Level exam finals began.

Reception: check in was quick, the woman at the desk was also friendly and well-mannered. The reception area was always quiet and lovely to sit in with a drink to have a chat.

Rooms: we got a family room and I can't complain! The room was massive.. a huge double bed and two singles.. a bathroom and a seperate toilet as well which was a huge thumbs up! There was nice decor in the bedroom but others in our party who had double bedrooms didn't have as nice decor and could have done with a bit of refurbishment. However.. I'll stay on the plus side.. they were nice and spacious and nice and warm at night.. never got too uncomfortable. I must say though, the beds were quite hard in our bedroom (although again, the doubles seemed to have softer bedding). My back was a bit sore the next day..

Coach House: went to the Coach House for a meal on our first night. Firstly, the food was gorgeous! But the service - oh dear! Another member of our group ordered the same dish as me and we both got told it came with wedges on the side of the plate - only one came with wedges (how could someone not notice that?!) and we were placed in an annex, sandwiched between two rowdy tables of golf men who were shouting and arguing amongst each other about football etc.. from table to table! I could not hear the person next to me speak! It ruined the whole meal and it gave me a migraine as well. We complained and got moved for our dessert and didn't even get moved to another table, but to the sofa area! Fair enough, we got a discount but that didn't compensate for the poor lack of service we received during our meal.

Greens Resturant: the service was slightly better than Coach House. However.. it took 40 minutes (yes 40 minutes!) for our starters to arrive! We were starving and becoming impatient! I got the souffle.. which looked nothing like a souffle and was a very small portion.. I actually laughed at it on the huge plate! Main course and dessert was very nice and I enjoyed them - they were better and much bigger and satisfying portions! It got to tea and coffee and they brought round our cups and the teas and coffee.. then left us sitting for 10-15 minutes without any milk! Other than the poor waitressing service.. the food was lovely and I enjoyed it! The next day we got breakfast here as well.. there was a wide selection of hot food and cold food and I was very impressed - a lot better than our evening meal! Lots of staff about in the mornings who were happy to attend to you.

Spa centre: I used the spa centre a lot during my stay as I went for leisure and relaxation. The pool was a nice size for how many people were using it (people have commented on how small it is?!) The jacuzzi was lovely.. can't complain. Loved the steam room as it was menthol and the sauna was basically a sauna.. haha. I got a deluxe pedicure in the treatment centre and it was lovely.. great service.. although other customers ruined the experience for another family member. Another group of ladies decided to spend a ridiculous amount of time in the changing room after their treatments.. which meant a member of my group had to get changed in their treatment room and relax afterwards in her clothes rather than the bathrobes! She even missed out on the room with the water fountains which was included in her treatment due to the selfishness of the other customers! Members of staff here need to raise their voice and show some authority instead of letting other peoples' treatments be ruined! Also, prices very high so save up your pennies before booking!

How to improve:

Service needs a major overhaul in both resturants! Either get new staff in who are properly trained or train up your current staff! More thought and consideration needs to be put into seating arrangements.. where is the sense in putting two tables of about 30 rowdy men between our table?! Service by the waiters and waitresses is of a very low standard and have seen better in a 3 star hotel in Spain!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
RadissonBluRoePark, Manager at Roe Park Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
To whom it concerns,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Radisson Blu Roe Park Resort. We welcome your feedback and take on board your constructive remarks which enable us to improve in customer care and product development.

We pride ourselves on our service and quality provided and this has recently been reflected in our receptionists being award the Reception of the Year award, accredited by the Northern Ireland Hotels Federation.

Your comments will provide us with benchmarks for improvements.

We hope to welcome you again at the resort.

Ecommerce Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2011

For many years I had a job where I travelled over much of the world and stayed at scores of five star hotels. This has made me very fussy and hypercritical when places don't come up to scratch but on this visit I found it impossible to find anything to criticise about the Radisson. A beautiful location, a spacious, pristine room and staff who are unfailingly pleasant combined with a price that would get you very little indeed in many places. When my wife and I are in Northern Ireland we will continue to go out of our way to stay at the Radisson.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
To whom it concerns,

Thank you for the taking the time to review your stay at the Radisson Blu Roe Park Resort.

I am delighted to hear that your stay at the hotel has met all your expectations. We pride ourselves on our quality, customer service and attention to detail and will continue to improve on all aspects of service.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife in the future.

N Ireland
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I don't stay in Hotels in Northern Ireland very often - I mostly stay in the UK, USA, Japan, China, Norway, Germany etc. The problem we have in Northern Ireland is the lack of competition - so we end up with Hotels like the Radisson Roe that think they are a lot better than they really are.

While the Hotel is generally clean, the rooms are a bit tatty - old dated furniture with dints and scratches, plus an old small screen CRT TV (who has these anymore). The lobby area has a nice ambience - but when you get to the room you feel like you are slumming it at the Travelodge!

The hotel makes it money on 'Weddings' and 'Families with small children'. On the 10 or so times I have stayed at the hotel there has always been a wedding on - and there have always been lots of small children around - so if you don't like either, avoid.

I have eaten in both restaurants - but now only eat in the Coach House. Greens tries to pull off 'high brow' but fails with poor food quality - and the ambience of a school canteen. The Coach House fayre is more straightforward and the quality seems to be reasonably consistent.

Avoid the Ulster Fry at breakfast. The hot food buffet is easily the worst I have ever experienced anywhere in the world (based on 10 years of staying there). The food is not rotated. The food is generally cold - particularly the fried eggs. It looks like they 'deep fry' the soda and potato bread! Stick to the cold buffet and you should survive!

I have always found the staff to be friendly and the service in the restaurant fairly good. The Roe Valley Park (at the bottom of the car park) is naturally wonderful - and the best reason to stay at the hotel.

My tips for improving the 'guest experience' would be:

1. Fit a 'soft close' feature to bedroom doors! At the minute they bang and interrupt sleep (Should be a cheap fix!)
2. Introduce an adults only time in the pool (say an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening) so that I could actually get a swim! Otherwise its impossible with 20 or 30 small kids in the pool!
3. Upgrade the furniture in the rooms and replace the TVs with something less 1990s.
4.Fix the breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In summary: Best of a poor selection in Northern Ireland. Friendly staff in a 3-star level hotel at 5-star prices.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
RadissonBluRoePark, Manager at Roe Park Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
To whom it concerns,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Radisson Roe Park Resort. It is refreshing to hear our customers points of views and share in your constructive criticism.

The hotel has been modernised in recent years and all rooms are fitted wih modern, flat screen televisions. Another point to note is that all 118 rooms in the hotel have beautiful views of our 18 hole Golf course - something which alot of hotels cannot boast about!

Our Award-winning Greens Restaurant is one of the best-loved fine dining restaurants in the region. Serving the finest fresh local cuisine and a choice of international dishes, prepared with loving expertise by our well respected chef. The restaurant itself is modern yet elegant and it's an ideal venue for our guests to relax and enjoy the finest regional food or for locals to enjoy a special night out. The restaurant has been awarded accreditations such as the AA Rosette, Taste of Ulster and excelling in Radisson Brand Standards awareness Programmes.

Taking note on your view for breakfast at the hotel - we pride ourselves on ensuring our customers leave with little or no appetite and have great reviews on the ample breakfast which we provide to cater for all dietary requirements.

We take note of your opinins to improve guests' experience. The resort is continually improving and developing and we welcome constructive criticism to enable us to improve and benchmark our standards.

We hope to see you again at the resort in the near future.

Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We returned for a short break and once again had such a lovely time.
Being seriously visually impaired I had contacted reception several days before arriving and asked for a room with good lighting. Several extra lights had been placed in the room.
The hotel is spotlessly clean. Our room was spacious and very comfortable with a Queen Anne chair a higher armchair as well as a King-sized bed. The Leisure Centre was an added bonus and while the pool is not large it was more than adequate for the needs of the guests who were using it. Fluffy white towels were provided for guests use. We did not use the gym or spa. On our first evening we dined in the Coach House - a extensive inexpensive menu with prompt friendly service. My wife's salmon was top class - among the best salmon dishes she has ever tasted. On our second evening we took our "included" dinner in Green's Fine Dining Restaurant. The four course dinner was excellent and while the menu choice was more limited, the use of the freshest locally produced ingredients ensures food of the highest quality. My rump of lamb was beautifully cooked and presented and the cheese board with home-made chutney was appreciated.
The breakfasts were also of the highest quality with an extensive range of cereals, fruit juices, hot and cold buffets and freshly baked breads and pastries.

A most enjoyable couple of days and very reasonably priced at under ninety pounds per person (Winter break rate). THOROUGHLY RECOMMENDED*****

ireland
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Stayed 2 nights B&B and 1meal deal, midweek, with my wife, £89 each. Hotel is not worthy of 4 star status, rooms old and outdated with saggy,worn out beds and poor decoration. Had a very poor meal in the Bistro, duck that had been re-heated/fried to a crisp, dry as firewood and taste to match. Staff forgot side dishes which then arrived late. The meal was so bad that we then spent the next afternoon checking out restaurants to dine in for our final night ( our 27th Wedding Anniversary, which again the Hotel seemed to forget about, despite mentioning on booking - most 4/5 star hotels we've stayed at before manage to at least acknowledge such with a complimentary drink or some other small gesture, not so the Radisson ! Leisure centre just so-so, very poor quality towels for guest use, small pool and average changing facilities. Atmosphere in main bar at night poor, and not helped when bar is shut to residents at 12 prompt - is this really a 4 star hotel? Poor all round and would not return. Incidently, we ate at the Classic Restaurant in Limavady on the second night and it was fabulous with lovely decor and fab food, cooked to perfection and served by staff who knew what they were doing - I personally would send the Radisson chef here on a weeks placement to see how it should be done, and a lot cheaper also. Do your self a favour, book a different hotel.

Room Tip: Try Killyhevlin/Slieve Donard/Hudson Bay/Villa Ros
1 Thank norny
Fermanagh
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Stayed here over the St Patricks break for one night. We stayed in one of the family rooms with our 3 children. The room was spacious, but very outdated and had very definite signs of wear and tear and showed its age. The bathroom was small for 5 people. It had only one sink and had no-where to set anything ie toiletries etc.

The leisure facitilites were very disappointing. The pool was very small and too shallow to swim in. The sauna wasn't working. The changing rooms were dirty and very small. The towels were cheap and worn. The showers were the smallest showers I have ever used in my life. There wasn't even standing room and I am not a big person.

We had a very bland meal in the bistro that evening. We constantly had to remind staff what our order was. They had to be reminded about drinks that never came, sauce with steak that didn't arrive etc. The restaurant, bar and reception was overrun with toddlers. It seems to be a hotel very much favoured by familys with very young children, which we have outgrown by now. We also had to queue for 20 minutes the next morning to get in for breakfast. Something we haven't done in years.

I cannot believe the fantastic reviews this hotel has got. Especially as regards the leisure centre. I can only presume that the people who wrote them don't go to good hotels much. I would rate this hotel more 3 star than 4 and I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tonifermanagh
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Had heard really good things about this hotel, but the rooms were outdated, the food at greens restaurant was disappointing, the leisure facilities just ok. Overpriced and not worth the trip. On the plus Side the staff were friendly.

3 Thank Kevin361978
RadissonBluRoePark, Manager at Roe Park Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
To whom it concers,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the facilities at the Radisson Blu Roe Park Resort, Limavady.

I am sorry to hear that the high expectations which you had were not met on this particular visit to the hotel. I note your negative comments but take solace in the positive remark that all staff you met at the hotel were pleasant and helpful. This is in keeping with the fact that in March the hotel reception staff won the Receptionists of the Year Award, recognized by the Northern Ireland Hotel Federation.

Concerning the outdated rooms and leisure facilities; we are always improving our facilities on a continuous basis and pride ourselves on the maintenance and cleanliness throughout the resort.

The high praise which you would have heard prior to your visit reflects the high return rate we have at the hotel and the loyal custom which we have generated.

I hope this does not impact on future visits to the hotel and we welcome your custom again.

Radisson Blu Roe Park Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Limavady
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
Bishop's Gate Hotel
Bishop's Gate Hotel
#1 of 11 in Derry
Brown Trout Golf & Country Inn

Been to Roe Park Resort? Share your experiences!