“Dinner”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Very good service, nice variety of food also nicely presented, did not dislike anything, very clean and good decor, staff very well trained, thought it a bit pricey for fix and chips

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Went with four others for lunch, lovely food and very reasonable. Went for the chefs special £5.95. service was very good and the staff were so nice. will be back. hello to Marty who showed us around the cocktail bar.

1  Thank Jennii S
Reviewed September 7, 2013

After booking the Classic (it was our nephew's choice) I read the reviews and expected the worst regarding the service.

Ironically it was the food rather than the service which didn't help this establishment!

On arrival we were left to stand like 3 lemons as there was no one on the reception desk....not a great start regarding service....but from then on it couldn't be faulted! In fact it got a bit over bearing as during our main course we were asked 3 times in 2 minutes by 3 different people 'was everything ok?'

Chilli Beef Nachos to share was great and more than enough for 3!

We ate off the 'thank you' menu which looked great value...however....

One of us had steak and it was good.
One of us ordered 'cod & chips'.....What came out was 3 cod scraps in batter. Had it have been described as cod goujons then I wouldn't have ordered...I expected a decent piece of cod in one piece!
One of us had the Tower burger.......very obviously not made on the premises! It was a flat disc of tasteless meat (think school dinners)....
The garlic fries were full of 'scraps' as they are known in the business......disappointing.

Another thing that was extremely annoying was that every 'side order' was covered in chopped parsley.....lemon, coleslaw, tartare sauce.....why?!!!

On the plus side the house SB was great value!

This restaurant has great potential....it needs to get the balance between service and food quality right though.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

My new fiancé and myself visited the classic the evening of our engagement (which the classic knew about) and we booked a table for 7.45- at 8.15 we still had not been taken to our table, and so we asked politely how much longer and on this remark we were taken to our table. We then ordered our food by 8.30 and by 9.30 we still had no food on our table and so we walked out! Needless to say it ruined our high and a good evening celebrating out together! My partner had aske what was going on and when told we didn't book the table to 6pm that evening he remarked that they in that case should have not taken our booking and we would have went elsewhere! Disgraceful treatment and gutted to have to had experienced this on this particular night of all nights!! We will not be returning

4  Thank Limavady212
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is the third visit to the Classic Restaurant in as many months and, in brief, the best of the three visits. This visit was a Sunday Lunch - I had heard many positive remarks about the food and service for Sunday Lunch. Arrived today with family and was surprised how quiet the restaurant was. Decor is very pleasant and modern, all facilities are in good condition and the building including toilets are spotless. Their carvery service was not available due to a problem with a fuse in the carvery unit??? Accordingly, it was table service - which prevented us from benefiting from nibbling a few starters and requesting a little slice of gammon with the turkey main-course! Service overall is good: some staff are extremely courteous (the Barman and the young guy who greeted us and a lady - possibly the owner/manager) whilst some other members of staff seemed irritated by any request that was remotely different from the ordinary. One noticeable point (a point of some irritation) was that the food for any given course never arrives at the one time. Hot starters are served before cold starters, and the delays in food arriving for any one course are excessive. This was also the situation for main-course - perhaps the most disappointing course of all. Whilst the food quality was very acceptable, the food - in particular the vegetables - was cold. it was difficult getting the attention of staff to ask for side orders not delivered. All food was plated but one of the main course dishes did not have vegetables and by the time we managed to get the attention of a server, my wife had finished most of her main course. Two of the party were vegetarian. Whilst the vegetarian options were limited (to a choice of one!), the two guests enjoyed their Mediterranean Pasta which looked great and smelled delicious. In contrast to my cold vegetables and potatoes and cool beef, I felt considerably short-changed! Know that dessert would lift the mood somewhat, I looked forward to a healthy fresh fruit dessert. The dessert selection was generous (with oodles of cream, chocolate and the usual feel good Sunday lunch dessert options. Fresh fruit was complicated and we were advised that they don't do fresh fruit (some things are better left unsaid!). I requested a banana or an apple and was served some tasty strawberries and a chopped red apple.

Whilst I hear mixed reports about the Classic, I have a sense that this restaurant is still worth a fourth visit. On reflection, I sense the service troubles me more than the few shortcomings with the food. It may be useful to have the staff trained in some basics of good customer service. It might also be useful for the staff to remember that a large aspect of communication is non-verbal! My experience was, at times, one of being judged and being considered a bit of a nuisance. But I will return to the Classic again for Sunday lunch when their Carvery is up and running given that I have heard some good reports. My fourth visit, however, will be my last if I don't notice an improvement.

3  Thank Salm0nfishing