“Good food but slow service and staff need to smile!”
Review of The Throckmorton

The Throckmorton
Reserve with OpenTable
The Throckmorton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Alcester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We serve our fresh, locally sourced, homemade breakfast, lunches and dinner every day from 9am to 9pm Our menus offer exceptional value for money featuring several fixed price offers such as 'Fish Fridays' - 2 coucrses and a glass of wine at £15 or all our Pub Classics at under £10. We also serve restaurant quality specials and a fab Sunday Roast.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stopped for lunch here as a party of four not knowing what the place or food was like and were quite impressed. The greeting was somewhat cold by the young gentleman behind the bar who seated us but the surroundings made up for it. The seating areas were beautifully decorated with a huge roaring fire and the whole place was tastefully filled with Christmas decorations. Service was quite slow to get the menus and drinks and we had to wait about 45 minutes for our food which was a little too long although the restaurant was quiet. The homemade chips and burger were delicious and although I just had a jacket potato, it was lovely. The salad which I received was plentiful with a nice dressing but seemed to be a bit gritty which slightly put me off. The side orders of mushrooms and onion rings were delicious. The young lady who took our order and served us our food was very friendly and helpful, the only negative would be for the gentleman behind the bar who did not smile once and the speed of the food coming out. I would visit this establishment again, hoping some little niggles would be improved.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

If the Groupon offer was intended to entice people to try the Throckmorton Arms at a reduced rate with view to return and pay full price. It didn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Went as a couple, one starter was alledgedly warm black pudding salad with boiled egg, Salad was fine, the black pudding was cold and cut into tiny tiny pieces and very few at that. The other starter was Pate - straight out of the fridge, very very cold and devoid of taste.
Chicken stuffed with asparagus and cream cheese, on dry mashed potatoes another dish totally devoid of any taste.
Sea Bass fillet ( a very small fillet) fish wasn't too bad, with tasteless dauphinoise potatoes.
All in all very disappointing, prices on he high side but quality very low.
Appear to specialise in very bland tasteless food.

1  Thank john h
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We didn't have a very warm welcome at the Throckmorton Arms. The waitresses were busy and so the barmaid pointed out a table (literally) and left us to sit down. I don't think she'd told anyone we were there seeing as we waited for about 10 minutes and watched another couple be seated and move tables before I got a bit snarky and asked if they would serve us. A young waitress came over to us with menus, put them on the table, asked us if we were groupon customers and then left without taking a drinks order.

After hearing the second couple being asked for their drinks order as they were handed their menus I grabbed my purse and headed to the bar to get the drinks myself and tell them that I wasn't happy about the way we were being treated.

After a slightly cold reception at the bar, the second waitress realised I was upset, brought the drinks I'd ordered over to the table and then came back quite promptly to take our food order in a much more pleasant manner.

The Groupon voucher was £16 for two starters and two main courses. We could spend up to £12.50 on the main and if our choice was more expensive then we would have to pay the difference, which I thought was good deal. Only 5 items on the menu were over £12.50 but I *had* to go for one of those ones. There was a LOT of choice and I was impressed with (and tempted by) the vegetarian options.

We ordered Shallot and mushroom toasts and pate to start, then a burger with cheese, bacon and handcut chips, and sea bass with goats cheese dauphinoise potatoes and spring onion pepperenatta. The starters were excellent and the salads had the most amazing dressing. My only complaints were that the melba toasts were so thin and crispy that it was hard to spread the cold butter, and the pate was very light and crumbly so it didn't stay on the toast too well. It was all delicious though.

The mains came really quickly and the burger looked and tasted excellent. The seabass looked a bit lost on the plate, and the addition of some dry leeks and carrots didn't do much to improve it. The fish was well cooked and tasted nice though, and the goats cheese dauphinoise (the reason I'd chosen that meal) didn't disappoint! The pepperenatta was odd...it tasted okay with the fish and the potatoes but wasn't the most pleasant thing to eat.

We decided against dessert, even though some of the choices looked very tempting. I wanted to try the chocolate and cherry fondue but I just didn't have room.

We'd ordered two large glasses of wine and a pint of San Miguel and when the bill came the drinks came to about £13 which I thought was pretty reasonable. As a compensation for the service we'd received at the beginning of the night they had waived the £3.45 extra for my meal, but considering that the burger was only £8.50, four pounds below the groupon limit, I thought it was a pretty meagre offering really. Unfortunately I'd had two large glasses of wine by that point and so I didn't have the faculty to reason that a free round of drinks would also have been a nice compensation for them to make for the horrible start to our evening.

Overall, the food is pretty good here although some of it is a bit overpriced for what it is. The cheaper options seem to be much better meals and look better on the plates. The service is okay, once you can actually get someone's attention, although complaints may be met with a little hostility at first!

1  Thank notagirliegirl
Reviewed October 21, 2012

2 course home cooked Sunday lunch £12.95 - amazing topside of beef - perfectly cooked and thick sliced and presented on top of roast potatoes and parsnips with home made yorkshire pudding and gravy - together with a dish of 6 freshly prepared veg.
Totally amazing lunch!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Dined here at lunchtime and enjoyed two courses from the 'light bites' menu. Portions supposed to be slightly smaller but still loads of food and the fish and chips was excellent - as was the service.
Things turned a little strange when the crumble arrived for pud ... we had asked for it cold - it arrived uncooked! Very apologetic waitress so we changed the order and had a good laugh about it.
Excellent value - especially as we were National Trust members and were giveb 15% off the bill!