“modern clean guest house with a big breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Birches Guest Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Portadown B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2011

lovely spacious room with modern ensuite. Very clean. The breakfast was hearty. The staff were not that visible but I guess would be there if I needed them.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jamjarnew

Reviewed April 25, 2011

The guest house is stunning, room was spotless and loved how we could open the patio doors and wander outside from the room. Breakfast was amazing, with lots of choice. I will definitely be using this accommodation for future trips to portadown. So glad I found this treasure.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank rockeyb
Reviewed April 22, 2011

This is just a home away from home (except so much more organised!!!) it's an experience. I look forward to staying there very time I am up North.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I stayed with my Mother and 2 sisters for a long weekend it was one of the best places we have stayed in better than any 5 star hotel !!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Stayed at this Guest Lodge for one night 16th Dec to 17th Dec,it is beside the M1 but it is so peaceful,stoplessly clean & good food, a perfect find.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Mary Kennedy was our host and looked after us very well during our stay, despite suffering at the time from a very poorly back. She welcomed us with a smile and waved us off with a smile. The accommodation, including our room was absolutely beautiful, and the attention to detail was second to none. Breakfast was cooked to order and was of high quality, taken in the equally beautiful dining room. We have stayed in many different establishments, and this guest house was as good as any top class hotel. Do not hesitate to stay here if you are travelling to Northern Ireland. The location was excellent too for Belfast International Airport - takes about 40 minutes by car and proved to be an ideal starting point for our short road trip.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2009

This is the second time we have stayed at this accommodation. It is near the Birches/west side of town and is located right beside the M1. This location would find particular favour with business travellers, since Portadown is located as the central town in the north. This accommodation is relatively new and is ultimately situated on a country road, which conveys a sense of security and privacy.
The house outside, with its tidy lawns and assorted shrubs, looked very nice. There is plenty of car-parking space at the front of the house. The reception area is very nice - just as shown on their excellent website - and it was from here, that we collected our room key. It became immediately apparent that someone had paid much attention to detail at this house.
Our room was on the first floor, although I believe there are also rooms on the ground floor, to facilitate any disabled tourists.
The rooms were very modern, with an emphasis on cleanliness and tidiness. Tea, coffee and biscuits were provided on a tray. The bed was very comfy and overall it had a very homely feel. The room we requested had an ensuite with both a bath with a shower over it. The fixtures and fitting were spotless! It was a jacuzzi bath actually and seemed to work a treat. Sample toiletries were provided and the towels were fluffy and solid. In my experience, something as simple as a fresh towel, can make of break your confidence in a guesthouse.

The breakfast was excellent and served downstairs in a dining room. Breakfast times are quite flexible 7:30 - 9:30 which had particular appeal, as we were ultimately there on holiday and wanted to benefit from the ly-in! It was also possible to select exactly what kind of breakfast your required - cooked. There was the usual selection of cereals, juice and fresh fruit available but you could use the menu provided in the rooms to essentially 'tick' what you preferred on your plate - beans, soda bread etc etc I am not into cooked breakfast myself but there was another option which is syrup on pancakes - which is out of this world and satisfies my sweet tooth. My partner, who had the cooked breakfast, assured me that the bacon, sausages etc were cooked to perfection and I could see that the portions were very generous.
There is a good selection of what's on, sightseeing and maps/literature available in the rooms too, for tourists visiting during their stay. Numerous National Trust places, Gosford Castle and Armagh city which is just twenty minutes drive from the hotel.
The prices for the rooms were really quite good, considering the service that was on offer. Mary is very friendly and obliging, yet does not intimidate visitors who prefer their privacy.
The website is brilliant and its photos of the interior were in-fact real - not like many websites nowadays. Booking and queries can be by email or phone. If I have one criticism, it is that their email responses need to be more prompt, to be anyway useful for those of us who want to make a booking over the internet.
Finally, I have to say that of all the accommodation I have stayed in, the Birches Guestlodge is without doubt, the more professional guesthouse trading in the UK - and thats from someone who tours the UK and Ireland considerably! There is no doubt I would stay here again. The accommodation has everything going for it. Portadown has improved its 'history' since the troubles ended. As the tourism buzz gathers momentum and more interest shown in the area, the fact that the guesthouse is near the City of Armagh and on the main motorway from/to the airport, value for money and friendly service, comfort, are sure to give this accommodation wide appeal. First class!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business