“Nothing too much trouble” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Riverhill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Birkenhead
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Nothing too much trouble”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

My family stayed here this weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Nothing was too much trouble, all the staff were pleasant and attentive. The evening meal on Friday was perfectly cooked, piping hot and delivered with a smile. The breakfast were varied and plentiful with toast and coffee being served all the time without having to ask. We would definitely recommend this hotel and restaurant; you won't be disappointed!

Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Yowsertowser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Wirral, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I ate dinner here last night with some friends. There was an a-la-carte menu or a special offer menu at starter+main for £16.95. There was an excellent choice on both menus and an extensive(if somewhat pricey) winelist. I had melon summer fruits starter and my firends had soup and duck parcels. I had lamb rump (£2.50 supplement) and my 3 friends all had hake for main course. There was a dish of veg and quartered roast pots between 4 which was ample. We all thorougly enjoyed our meals and drinks and were too full for dessert, which was a great pity as the sweet trolley looked fantastic (£5.50 each). One friend had an espresso coffe which was accompanied by 4 pieces of fudge and 4 choc mints.
The service in the reception, bar and restaurant was faultless, polite and excellent and the restaurant and toilets very neat and clean. I have eaten here on a number of occasions over the years, the last time over 2yrs ago and can honestly say I have never had a bad experience.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Prentonian
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'd heard that the restaurant had been taken over by a Master Chef winner and that the food was now too fussy and overly expensive. I'm pleased to report that the food was excellent four of us had different dishes for starters and main courses and everything was excellent. The food was good quality and not overly fancy. The prices were reasonable and the dessert trolley was as good as it has ever been at the Riverhill. Our experience was as good or better than previous visits so we'll definitely be going again before too long.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 1stFloridahome
Wirral, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

This was our 2nd visit,the first was a couple of months ago and the food was ok but they were very busy and the service was appalling .we were shoved into the bar where there were no available seats,eventually squeezed into a small space and tried to catch the eye of any member of staff to no avail.I took over an hour beyond our booking time to get the starter.
This time (Thursday this week) the place was fairly quiet,just as well as they had put our booking in for the previous night!
The service was still slow & amateurish in the extreme and the food was poor,(medium rare steak was well done,duck leg confit dry)
Four of us eating 8 courses 2 good -2 average -2 poor.
Clare Lara can no doubt cook,but she needs much better back up than at present
D. Jones

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank David J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

I would normally go to restaurants in Liverpool as thats near to me, but a friend that lives on the Wirral ask me to join her at The Riverhill and I will be coming again very soon, great food, great service and price reasable what more could you ask for.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ben S
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I've just been writing a review for another restaurant and thought I would check out the Riverhill as I am dining there for the third time tomorrow. I'll comment on my title at the end of the review and voice my opinion on the other reviewers later. On the two occasions that I have dined at Riverhill I have been extremely impressed with every aspect of the visit. The one error that the was on the first occasion was a missing accompaniment to the meal and they were very apologetic about this and offered many alternatives recognising the need to address the error. It was impressive to see the way that they dealt with. H situation. I am also very impressed by the way that the chefs (both Claire and her husband Marc) visit the dinning room and mix amongst the customers. I am very much looking forward to the heal tomorrow night but rest assured that if there is something wrong I will raise that both at the restaurant and later in any review I write.

With regard to the negative reviewers, it does make me laugh that none of their reviews deals with how the situation was dealt with by the staff. This is because they do not avail themselves of this opportunity instead they write the negative review after the event!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Barry R
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We were a party of 4 celebrating my husband's 65th birthday on Sunday night 01/07/2012.The restaurant had been specifically chosen based on the reputation of Claire Lara whom we had followed to her crowning glory as Professional MasterChef Winner 2010.Alas what a disappointment.The menu and food was unadventurous and in now way reflective of the culinary delights we expected of a MasterChef winner.No option of an a la carte menu,no special dishes just a traditional Sunday lunch menu.It soon became clear that a two tier system of service was also in operation- one for regular diners and self service if you were a frst time diner.Granted we were shown to our table but from then on we placed our own napkins on our lap,tasted and poured the wine ourselves,twice had to ask for water and toasted bread to accompany one of our starters was rather late.After so much publicity and a grand opening attended by Michel Roux I wonder what his opinion would be now of the standards of food and service delivered.The previous day we had dined in 5* elegance in the grand in York- what a contrast.So is Claire really the chef and if so can you let us know when she is the duty chef before we consider giving it another go.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Catherine W
, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear guest
further to your visit to the Riverhill Hotel and Restaurant , we sorry to learn of your disappointment with your choice of Sunday lunch, we only offer a Sunday lunch menu on Sunday but we do offer a full a la carte menu Monday to Saturday, but if a guest was to make a request on a Sunday for an a la carte dish 36 hours before we would be only too happy to arrange ,We are sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations and I only wish you had informed me of your issues earlier as i would have dealt with all your complaints as soon as possible, i have investigated all the issues you have outlined as follows, your napkins should have been placed in your nap, and your wine poured to ensure it was to your liking ,toast should come at the same time as your starter , and our waiting on team should be checking at every course that you have all you need
Our team that evening have not upheld the normal high standards we set here at the RiverHill and we sincerely apologize we did not meet your own expectations, guest satisfaction is of a paramount importance to us
We always want and welcome feedback from our guests is it positive or negative.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Riverhill Hotel in the near future, where we can have the pleasure of serving you once again.

Kind Regards
steve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
Premier Inn Birkenhead Town Centre Hotel
Village Hotel Wirral
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,378 reviews

Been to Riverhill Hotel? Share your experiences!