“Disappointment”

The Shrewsbury Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Birkenhead B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Poor quality,shoddy contruction and cheap renovation embarass this once stately home. Literally holes in walls throughout, visible gray dust atop valances in our room. Stayed in several B&B's and small hotels during our 18 day stay and this was by far the worst. Charged for breakfast and offered the skimpiest cold selection, no fruit or yogart. Kitchen staff offered to make me her own hot cereal.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Shrewsbury Lodge

Reviewed August 13, 2011

If you require a twin ensuite try not to have room 6 unless you are used to living in a cell. Small room with a very small window high up - you need to climb onto the beds to see out.
I think the owners have/are trying to improve the place but there's a long way to go yet - ok if you like lots of chipped paintwork, tatty furniture, incredibly small showers with doors that don't fully close, sink plugs that won't stay in etc etc. etc.
On the plus side, the bedding and towels were of good quality.
Word of advice, don't upset the male owner/manager by complaining !!!!!
Very convenient place to stay if catching a ferry, so hope things improve. As for me, I'm flying next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dartmoor-pixie
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I have now stayed at The Shrewsbury Lodge approx 10 times over the last 18 months due to business in the area. I have no complaints at all- the rooms are always clean and tidy and the staff are really friendly. The food is also fantastic! The hotel offers a nice environment to relax after a days work.

Room Tip: Room 11 with the four poster bed is fab!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank LynandJay
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We arrived at the Shrewsbury Lodge Hotel on December 18th in the midst of terrible snow. The journey up from Bristol had taken two hours longer than it needed to. We were tired, hungry, cold and miserable. From the moment we arrived the staff here couldn't have been friendlier. We were able to get a hot meal at the hotel which was well cooked. Hospitality was excellent. Later that evening it looked as if staff and guests were going to be snowed in. The manager made a real effort to get his staff home as the snow got thicker and thicker. The bedroom we got was clean and the bed comfortable. We had a very early start in the morning and staff had cleared a path for cars to get out on to the roads. Service was so good we actually stayed at the B&B again three weeks later. Basically nothing was too much trouble. We will definitely stay there again when we're back in Birkenhead. The staff make this place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcginc91
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We arrived here after long drive to immediately go to a wedding in the afternoon. First impressions were bad. We had to buzz twice and then the receptionist decided to answer the phone before checking us in, even though I was struggling with bags... but I'm open minded and wanted to believe the best in the place and she had been friendly once she decided to serve us.

Shrewsbury Lodge looks quite old and is carpet everywhere. You might find that sort of thing cosy and charming, but personally I thought it looked and smelt a bit old-fashioned. I was initally impressed with the room - big enough and with a comfy looking 4-poster bed. Less impressed when I saw the posts were really dusty at the top and the TV was very small. The worst thing was then trying to get ready for the wedding - the toiletries are very basic here and the plumbing excessively noisy. I went to put some make up on, but it was too dark where the large mirror was (window behind my head so my face was in shadow), no problem, I moved to the window using a little travel mirror I had brought. Realising the mirror was too low on the dressing table for me to see my face, I thought I would rest it on an upturned teacup sat by the kettle..... SPLASH! Someone's dirty old cup of tea had been left in the cup - now all over my clothes - and the other cup was still stained. I was so angry and felt sick. My husband went to borrow a hairdryer to try and dry my outfit before the wedding. They apologised but I was surprised they did not try to do more.

Overall less than happy with this place. Arguably it was 'just a bed' as we were at the wedding all evening and drove home early the next day. The man on reception was friendly and wished us well, but politeness does not make up for poor cleaning (perhaps no cleaning!). At £75 without breakfast, I think it is quite overpriced. I have tried to be fair and balanced but cannot personally recommend this hotel. If in this area again, I would forego the charm and book the travelodge - yes, they're identikit boring, but at least they're clean.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank juliaf1986
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Arrived utterly exhausted after a 250 mile drive and a shopping trip to Liverpool One. I was travelling with my daughter for a football match at Anfield the next day and had specifically requested a twin room. I'd also requested that if this were not possible, that we could be informed. We were told that we had a double room. The problem was rectified, a Z bed was set up for my daughter, and we were offered a free drink from the bar and complimentary breakfast. The room was OK. I had a very comfortable four poster bed, and my daughter's Z bed was fine, she said. I can't comment on the shower because I didn't use it. The water system is noisy, but this is an old house.
I don't eat cooked breakfast, and was met with bemusement about this when we checked in. I explained that I would just have fruit and cereal, and was told that they didn't do fruit. At this point I was very puzzled. At breakfast the next morning there was literally a choice of three cereals, one flavour juice and toast. Again, in fairness, someone had been out and purchased some bananas, which they brought round for me, but I don't understand why it isn't possible to have grapefruit, yoghourt, etc. It's mostly standard everywhere else you go.
It's a quick trip to Anfield through either of the Mersey Tunnels, and ultimately, I booked this hotel because it was an affordable alternative to those in the City who inflate their prices when big football matches are on.
Would I stay there again? Probably, but only as a last resort. The staff were exceptionally helpful and kind, but in this day and age, such mistakes shouldn't happen in the first place. If you're not bothered if you get a twin room or not, then I 'd recommend it, but book direct and make sure you get the sleeping arrangements that you need!

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed for 1 night in March to visit friends in the area. This was the main reason we chose this hotel. Ample car parking, friendly staff, clean rooms and a good breakfast.
I found it a little pricey at £90.00 for a twin room with breakfast, especially as the room (Room 6) was a little small and dated and needed a little work in the bathroom. But the hotel was very quiet (even though it was fully booked) and had a good nights sleep. What more could you ask for

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
Riverhill Hotel
#3 of 5 in New Brighton
Peel Hey
Peel Hey
#1 of 1 in Frankby

Been to The Shrewsbury Lodge? Share your experiences!