“Mince pies”

Ranked #1 of 10 Coffee & Tea in Coleraine
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The best mince pie I've ever tasted! That touch of dark rum from sunny Barbados added that little je ne sais quoi. Best wishes to all for Christmas plus a peaceful and prosperous 2014,

There are newer reviews for The Boatyard Coffee Shop Coleraine

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Nestling in a quiet corner, just outside Coleraine is this sparkling little gem of a cafe. I've made the journey three times to it from quite a distance and it never fails to impress. The coffee is top class, smooth and rich, the food, which is far beyond the mundane, tingles the taste buds and satisfies the appetite. From breakfast to lunch to afternoon delights you are sure to find plenty to savour, especially the friendly service supplied by the welcoming staff who are only too eager to please.
Certainly worth going out of your way for a visit, which is bound to be the first of many.

6  Thank Tyroneslittlesthobo
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Boatyard is well worth finding for its home baked cakes alone. Its lemon meringue pie is sublime but they have a different cake of the day so there is plenty of temptation. They have a selection of sandwiches, wraps and specials on offer which are truly wonderful. Great service, excellent coffee, a great place to get away from it all close to the River Bann.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

A great place to relax with friends. Menu is good and personal requirements are not a problem. Accommodation is quite small so be early.

1  Thank Des11v_12
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We love this place. Its about 3miles from home so we visit at least once a week on average since they opened in Summer 2012.

Now where do I start..... Breakfast is a highlight. I've tried everything on the breakfast menu. My favourite is yummy muffin - toasted muffin split in half, 2 rashers of really good quality bacon and you can have scambled eggs or 2 poached eggs. I prefer poached and boy they can do a poached egg to perfection with a runny yolk if you ask for it. The Boat Yard breakfast is terrific however, I prefer my bread the Norn Iron way (fried). The Boat Yard version is the healthy toasted version. I like the Granola Sundae with compote & yoghurt. I have been known to pair it up with the Cinnamon Toast, but hey why not.

The scones are homemade on the premises every morning. My personal favourite is Raspberry & white Chocolate. They are massive. I need 3 pats of butter. And sometimes they are still warm enough to melt the butter.

My favourite lunch is the Ploughman's platter- a wedge of Guinness cheddar, a wedge of brie, a warmed soft baguette (not the ones that break your teeth) and 3 pots of deliciousness.............. baby onions, sundried tomatoes and sweet & sour grapes. You see those grapes, they are the highlight of the dish. If you don't like those grapes, there is something wrong with you. On second thoughts, if you don't like those grapes, send them to me, I'll take them off your hands.

I've had the Roast Beef special on ciabiatta bread and with the Scandanavian flat bread. Loads of meat. You won't need to eat dinner in the evening. The staff are flexible and you can do a bit of mixing and matching on the menu if you prefer a different filling or bread.

We rarely leave without something sweet. It would be rude not too have some of the home made delights. I like the lemon cake with the really lemony icing and a layer of raspberries at the bottom. Sometimes there is lemon cake without raspberries but I prefer the raspberry one. I like the warm jammy doughnut too. lip licking good. I also like that the cakes, traybakes and scones are on display BUT COVERED OR INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED and safe from insects and previous diners grubby hands.

They do a homemade lemonade (I confess one morning I had it with my breakfast - well it was 30degrees outside). Do not order a glass. Order the carafe...... believe me there will be no waste.

They have a car park beside the café. Sometimes when all the tables are occupied the staff have given us takeaway coffee if we choose to wait in our car until a table is available.

We see the same folks frequenting this place on a regular basis. That tells me they are like us in that they have found somewhere serving food of a consistent quality, with consistent service and a fair price being paid. Oh yeah, in this café, you can substitute the word excellent for consistent.

Oh word of warning...... if you want fried bread, fried eggs, French fries, chips ...... then keep driving past the gate, because this café, isn't that kind of place. "Those" kind of places are 2 a penny. You'll be happier there.

4  Thank lullable