“BETTER THAN EXCELLANT. - SUPERB HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lodge Hotel

Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Coleraine
ABERDEENSHIRE
“BETTER THAN EXCELLANT. - SUPERB HOTEL”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

This is the sixth year we have been staying at his fabulous hotel for the Curtis Magee Fanfayre and it must be the nicest hotel we have ever been in. Rooms very spacious and clean. Restaurant is first class and staff very friendly. Keith the manager is definitely on top of everything and any questions dealt with instantly. Breakfasts are lovely and hot which is not often found in a buffet style. Good location for touring Northern Ireland. Very much recommended

• Stayed June 2013
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your 4 night stay during Curtis at the hotel and dined with us on all four evenings. I will be sure and pass on your kind comments to Keith and the rest of the team here at The Lodge. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

A delightful experience. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived but the staff on Reception were excellent. We were upgraded to the Bridal Suite complete with jacuzzi bath!
The following morning th staff in the breakfast room was most accommodating. Nothing was a problem to them and the variety and quality available was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for the old building
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thankyou for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that reception staff looked after you with a upgrade. Hopefully we will see you again @ The Lodge Hotel.
Staffs. UK.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Have stayed here a few times and its always been good. The staff are friendly, efficient and welcoming. The rooms are clean and well appointed ( like the trouser press and iron). The restaurant is good and the breakfast is good. Great value if staying in the Coleraine area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank richardi
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us once again! We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Den Helder, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here for 3 day it is a very good hotel nice clean rooms good bed, and fhe food here is excellent had my dinner here every night and it was very good not like most restaurants you always get the same, and it was always plenty all staff was always friendly and helpful breakfast is very good as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alex S
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your three night stay at the hotel and dined with us on all three evenings. I will be sure and pass on your kind comments to our Chefs and the rest of the team here at The Lodge. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed three nights at the Lodge. The front desk was great and very helpful! The restaurant was excellent! Elliotts' Bistro is a little gem! I had the salmon on one night and blackened chicken on the other night! The pear walnut salad was fantastic! The bartenders were helpful and quite friendly! The room was clean and it was great! An overall great experience!

Room Tip: Use this hotel as an anchor to visit the Giants Causeway, Bushmill Distillery, and Carrick A Rede Ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Donald S
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed your dining experiences in Elliot's Bistro. Your detailed feedback is greatly appreciated and I will be sure and pass onto the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and I love it. Its in a fantastic location, the staff were welcoming and friendly and the food was very good! The room was also excellent, very clean and comfortable and they even left little chocolates on the pillows when they changed the sheets every day. Worth every penny. Very good hotel for Families and great children's menu. Most hotels I have been to take a really long time to come and take your order and then to get the drinks and food out but the staff here came immediately and I only had to wait a short time to get my food. When I did it was very well presented and tasted great. I loved the dessert menu. There is also a treatment room ran by Melissa ross that was lovely. The treatment here was top notch! Would highly recommend you give her a visit. The hotel in general is very clean and modern and perfect for business trips. The price per room is a real bargain. Its safe to say I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Great location to famous Landmarks like the Giants causeway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank stephney W
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for your kind comments. I will be sure and pass on your positive feedback to Melissa in our Treatment Room and the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Portstewart, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

My brother booked the bistro in the lodge hotel for my 50th birthday bash...20 of us..I have eaten here many times over the years but the last time I ate here I was a little disappointed with the standard of the food served...I reckoned the quality of the food had "gone down hill" a bit..but,I was giving it another go...and avoided the meals that had put me off the last time I was here.
I had the mackerel starter followed by the escalope of pork dish for my main course. The starter was very good and I totally finished it....but my main course left a lot to be desired...I was a chef for 30 years so, I know my onions when it comes to food and how it's cooked..the escalope of pork comes in breadcrumbs served on a sauce..with a dusting of chilli powder around the plate....a dusting of chilli powder around everyone's plate, no matter what they ordered, and afterwards some of my party did complain to me about this as some of them don't like spicey/hot things, so ordered dishes that didnt contain chilli....by the way, it's hard to find dishes on the menu that don't contain chilli....most dishes have it added to them, and most of the sides...plain onion rings? No chance...they come with chilli too.
So, back to my pork dish....big disappointment.......deep fried to within a breadcrumb of its life....shouldn't have been cooked in the fryer to start with...that's just being lazy, the cowboy way to cook..it should have been "pan fried" pork fillet will soon dry out if overcooked, and mine certainly was...the "white membrane" or "sinew" hadn't been removed from the loin before cooking and this caused the escalope to "curl up" when fried....deadly. So my "oinkers" was very overcooked and dry.
Like I've already said, I've eaten in the bistro at the lodge hotel so many times in the past, but on my two most recent visits to this bistro I have failed to be impressed. I should have complained about the standard of my meal but I was one of the last to get served and didn't want to be sitting without food when everyone else was eating....so I kept my mouth shut and struggled my way through it.....it wasn't the worse meal ive ever eaten.

I was chatting to most of the other people in my party the next day and I got mixed reviews on their meals...some good, some not so good....but you can't please all the people all of the time..although i doubt if I will be in any hurry to return until I hear through the grapevine that "chefs and menus" have changed...for the better.
On a more positive note, the service was second to none as is the standard in this hotel and the staff were great as usual.so a big "thumbs up" to victor and his bistro staff.....
Now, don't get me wrong here, I love chilli.....but not with almost everything..and so said most of us.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank batmansnr
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear batmansnr
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and for your kind comments regarding the customer service you received. I was disappointed to read you did not enjoy your main course and found our menu to be spicey. Unfortunately, I am not sure which menu you dined from as all our menus are varied, however, I would appreciate if you could contact myself
or our General Manager to discuss this matter further. We look forward to hearing from you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleraine
Premier Inn Coleraine Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portballintrae
Magherabuoy House Hotel
Magherabuoy House Hotel
#5 of 8 in Portrush

Been to Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!