“The food "fell a little short" of the great service.”
Review of Lodge Hotel

Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Coleraine
Portstewart, United Kingdom
“The food "fell a little short" of the great service.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Went here last night with family members for evening meal....I have been here many times in the past and was again expecting great things.....but alas, myself and other members of my family where left feeling slightly disappointed in the standard of the food. To start with, my partner had ordered the "gammon and pineapple" which came covered in slightly melted cheese...nothing wrong in that, but when she "stripped" this back to take a look at the gammon she found (to her horror) a great string of very fatty rind around the edge of her gammon. My partner found this very "off putting" and had to enjure loking at it on the side of her plate for the entire meal. I think this dish would be better served if the rind would be removed prior to serving. Three members of my family had the sirloin steak with pepper sauce and they all found the pepper sauce to be far to strong and extremely overpowering...a less "explosive" pepper sauce would certainly be a recommendation, and allow the customer to taste and enjoy what might have been a very tasty steak. My partner had ordered "cheesey champ" but received chilli cheesey champ(without the spring onion)instead, which again was very overpowering and for the most part left uneaten..I myself had the ribeye steak which I found to be highly enjoyable and without fault...although I have to say my garlic fries lacked garlic but made up for it in butter.

After a brief chat we, as a family unit scored the main course 7 out of a possible 10..quite a disappointing score as this restaurant has scored full marks from me so many times in the past. Some of my party ( including myself ) had a dessert and those that did really enjoyed it. The service was faultless as always...just a pity that the food didn't match it. We won't let these above mentioned issues detour us from returning to the lodge hotel in the future but we will be very shy of the pepper sauce and the fatty rind. As the saying goes, you can please some of the people some of the time.....but you can't please all of the people all of the time...I still recommend the lodge hotel for something to eat at a nice price....but beware the pepper sauce, chilli cheesey champ, fatty rind and the chilli onion strips.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank batmansnr
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thankyou for your review. I was pleased to read that you have enjoyed a few meals in the past and that this must have been a "one off". I have passed your comments unto the head chef, and he has requested that the next time you visit, if you have any cause for complaint to inform him right away and he will be happy to amend there and then. Thank you once again and look forward to having you visit our restaurant in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great base for sight-seeing. 10 minutes walk into the main shopping area or lots of parking available too. On the outskirts of the town so really easy to get onto the other main roads for Portrush and Portstuart. Hotel is a very good 3 star! Food great and staff really friendly. I will use this hotel again. Only complaint was that it was too warm - even with minus 3 temperatures outside!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms in the annex.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather P
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. With regard to the heating in your room, it is unfortunate that you did not telephone reception as we could have adjusted the heating for you.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

As locals to coleraine we enjoy eating out , The Bistro in the lodge hotel has revamped its menu adding a few now choices but still keeping some of its old favourites/tired choices, The staff are very helpful and happy doing all they can to make your visit enjoyable ,we enjoyed a very nice family birthday lunch we could even provide our own birthday cake

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jennywren1959
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch in Elliot's Bistro. I have passed your kind comments onto our team. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have enjoyed many meals over the years at this hotel. We were on a family visit which took in a wonderful performance of 'Footloose' at the Riverside Theatre so we decided to book an overnight stay. We arrived early for check-in but had a leisurely lunch and read until the room was ready. We were offered a choice of a room in the main building or one in the annexe, the reason being that, on a Friday night, there would be a function in the main building and the staff were worried that we might be disturbed. We opted for the Annexe. We were very pleased with the spacious, clean, comfortable room. The buffet breakfast next morning was very good. My only criticism is that the bacon, before being put on to the serving tray, appeared to have been cooked on one side only. I opted for scrambled eggs, a hash brown and some mushrooms, which, together with toast and marmalade, was very nice. Great staff, very welcoming. We would have no hesitation in staying again and would recommend The Lodge, Coleraine, to family and friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pat569
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind and balanced review of your stay at the Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. I have mentioned your comment regarding the bacon to the Chef concerned. It is unfortunate that you did not advise a member of staff there and then as we could have rectified the situation for you. Apologies for any inconvenience caused on this occasion. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Ballymoney
Reviewed February 14, 2013

As three regular Tuesday costomers in the Bistro for lunch. Mollie James & Margaret would like to say how well we are received and looked after by all the stall who make us feel so welcome.
Food is excellent, lovely atmosphere.
We miss it when the weather prevents us from going.We will be back highly recommended

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Margaret B
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your lunch at Elliot's Bistro. I have passed your kind comments onto our team. We are indeed very proud of them and the standards of service that they provide. We look forward to welcoming you again soon, weather permitting!
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Not much above average, polite reception, just to so so for us, lacks flair, food including breakfast bit average should be able to do better. Plenty of parking, just of the round a bout on the ring road. handy to drive into the town we found the Water margin to eat in,just to get out for a couple of hours.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ryan m
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you found our reception staff polite and the hotel in a convenient location close to the town. I was disappointed to read that your visit to the hotel was "average" including the food and we should be able to do better. Perhaps you could contact our General Manager to discuss your comments in more detail as feedback such as yours is invaluable to us as we strive to meet very high standards for a 3* Hotel.
We look forward to hearing from you and hope you will return to The Lodge Hotel in the future.
Bangor, Co Down
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Last weekend my husband and I had a short stay in The Lodge Hotel. We were attending the Coleraine & District Motor Club dinner on Saturday night. On arrival at the hotel we found staff very helpful and welcoming. We were directed to our room and were very pleased with size, cleanliness and warmth of it. It was lovely to be able to have a late cup of tea!
The function room was beautifully laid out, again very pleasant staff, the food was beautiful, served with a smile (considering how many people attended the dinner!)
After a great nights sleep (I had been forewarned there could be some noise), never heard a thing, we went down to breakfast to find everything one could possibly want on offer. Again really delicious food, great attention from staff. All in all a great experience, to be highly recommended and we will definitely return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phyllis H
Norma W, Owner at Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate your kind words and we are very pleased to read that your stay with us was so enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleraine
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
#4 of 8 in Portrush
Causeway Hotel
Causeway Hotel
#3 of 3 in Bushmills

Been to Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!