“Nice character”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Coleraine
Somerset
“Nice character”
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and this one has something about it I liked.
The room was okay, nothing special. The leisure facilities a bit dated but useable.
The staff friendly and helpful enough but nothing special so I am not quite sure why I look back on this hotel fondly but I will stay again when I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank elllen1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Dunedin
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I am a Manager of a football team that was invited to the famous Milk Cup Tournamnet held in Coleraine.There was 28 people in the travelling party staying for a week.From the time we arrived to the time we left.The staff were outstanding.There was nothing that was a bother. From the cleaners to the waiters to the bar staff.I have stayed in Hotels all over the World but the humour,service and friendliness was a credit to the owners.With having young lads and big appetites keeping them happy was a big ask.The range of food was ample and the meals themselves were 1st class.The fitness centre was a blessing with all the mod cons and excellent pool area.
The rooms were good size and very clean.Again it was always nice in the mornings to be walking along the corridors and to have big smiley faces saying "good morning" in beautiful Irish accents from the staff.
I would have no hesitations in recommending this Hotel to anybody.
The grounds are nice and quiet and the Hotel itself just far enough out of Coleraine.
I have 25 people booked in again this coming July and we cant wait to get there.

• Liked — Facilities,Staff,Meals
  • Stayed July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Chids
Annalong Co.Down
Reviewed January 29, 2007

This was a trip down memory lane revisiting old haunts but as far as Bushtown House Hotel is conerned old memories are best.
The room needed to be refurbished and better quality loo paper.
We decided to eat in the hotel and on arrival at reception were immediately shown to a table in the bar to study the menu. Despite a number of waiters hoovering around none appeared interested in serving our table or a few others beside us so after waiting 15 minutes I proceeded to the bar for drinks myself.
A short time later we were taken through to the dining area and the food was served. My wife had ordered the duck which was well cooked and tasted good, I had ordered Sirloin which was a poor texture and tasted "sour". I did not eat it and the waitress took it back to the kitchen where both chefs said it was perfect however they would deduct it from the bill.
When we returned to the hotel lobby a number of wedding guests were mingling but the smoke was horrendous. Thank goodness that will stop in April under new legislation.
Next morning I went for a shower and the hot water just dribbled out of the taps. Called reception and they sent someone up - apparently water has "always" been a problem in the hotel. We were given the key to a room further down the hall so my wife could wash her hair. They also agreed not to charge for the room.
When leaving I settled the account for the restaurant the night before and the sirloin had not been deducted. After the experiences we decided not to have breakfast in the hotel and found a lovely coffee shop in nearby Portstewart.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank pathtowealth
Ireland
Reviewed November 18, 2006

I stayed for a night in mid-November.

I guess for the price i got value for money, considering i am in N.Ireland.

My dinner was good, plentiful and tasty. The Restaurant setting simple and basic,

My bedroom is long overdue a refurbishment. Everything about the room screams late 1970's decor.

Overall i suppose i got value for money, but after my travels this year, see my previous postings, i wonder why i can't get better rooms and settings for the money i pay ?

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 6, 2006

Warm welcome. Family friendly hotel - Halloween competions running for kids. Family room spacious with seperate adjoining room for kids.

Restaurant service very poor. Food lovely once we got it but took time. Showed to a table set for 4 but only 3 chairs and had to go looking 4th chair ourselves. One starter cold and had to be replaced.. Steak served without the sauce which arrived 20 mins. later after asking 2 people for it. Had to ask 3 times for a tea spoon, sauces etc. People at next table left following a loud argument as wine had never been delivered although they had asked several times. Little better at breakfast. Table set for 4 with 8 cups, no forks, no sauce. Had to keep asking staff for basics or go looking yourself. Wrong order served and had to be replaced.

Monday evening planned to use swimming pool but when got there pool was closing in 15 mins. for swimming classes which are held every Monday evening but no one had informed us.

Apparently hotel has recently had a change of ownership and standards have recently deteriorated.

• Liked — Layout of room - seperate for kids
  • Disliked — service in restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — food lovely but it's a struggle to get it!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We have stayed at the Bushtown at least once a year for the last five years.We have tried other hotels -but always return here!Yes-the rooms could do with a facelift but the staff,restaurant and location make up for this one fault.The staff have always been great-pleasant and friendly.The food has been wonderful-and the restaurant has always been full whenever we have stayed.We found the hotel to be very child-friendly,yes there might be children running around the lounge-when you have children of your own you don't mind! I like to relax when on a weekend break and I certainly feel relaxed here.I dont think that it would suit people without a car-it is close to Coleraine but if you are looking further afield to Portrush you would really need transport.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank kaz2
Portsmouth, Hampshire
Reviewed June 17, 2006

I stayed at this hotel in June 2006. My room was clean and comfy. The pool was very clean. The food was excellent, I couldn't believe the size of the portions they give you for both dinner and breakfast. Staff were lovely. Definately staying here again if work calls me to Northern Ireland again. Wonderful place, made me feel very welcome.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank JacquiJ67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleraine
Lodge Hotel
#5 of 8 in Portrush
Royal Court Hotel
Royal Court Hotel
#3 of 8 in Portrush

Been to The Bushtown Hotel? Share your experiences!