“Excellent Short Break”

and 1 more site!
The Bushtown Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Coleraine
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at the Bushtown Hotel for 3 nights, with dinner included, last week. We stopped here last year on our way home from the Irish Open, and the meal so superb, we had always intended to revisit. The hotel is quaint, and the foyer looks like it has been done up recently. It has a real family friendly feel, and the staff are exceptional. I always review anywhere I stay (just to be sure), and was concerned when I read some negative ones. I relied on my last experience and decided to come here anyway. I am so glad that I did. The receptionist was lovely and made us feel really welcome. The rooms were spacious and they certainly were spotlessly clean. The food was the real highlight, and I can only say that this was first class, in line with our last experience. The new swimming pool was also great with the staff explaining that this had only recently been done up. Breakfast in the morning was good. Overall we had a lovely relaxing break, and found the location good for exploring the North Coast. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caro505
There are newer reviews for The Bushtown Hotel

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed here again recently and had a lovely time. The main thing we love about this place is the food - it never disappoints. My wife is almost a vegetarian and struggles to find places that server decent veggy food. She really likes the vegetarian crumble in the Bushtown and after a few forkfuls I have to agree - now if she would just split it with me and eat half my meat dish....hmmm...I find the staff very pleasant and the hotel has a very rustic country feel to it which I love. There are enough boring/plain walled hotels in this country with modern art and all that...stuff. If there were a few more traditional type hotels like the Bushtown which make you feel like you're actually in Ireland I can only imagine that would be a good thing...Anyway, plenty to do in the area around Coleraine and slightly further(10min drive) to the port and obviously all the touristy type stuff on down the coast. If the weather isn't great (which it wasn't for us) just chill out in the pool and sauna. Seen a review on here complaining that they had trouble finding the hotel...honestly, people will complain about anything. It's on the A29 i.e. not a side road.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend and would highly recommend this cosy, friendly hotel. It was exactly what we were looking for. The staff where very helpful, friendly and polite. Our kids had a brilliant time, with the Jet Centre a stone’s throw away and Portrush /Portstewart only a short drive away, there was plenty to do not to mention the hotel swimming pool. The food was excellent throughout our stay. Our family room was clean and roomy and we will defiantly return to the Bushtown Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joser_M_76
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my Partner decided we wanted away for a night And booked a room here the day before .Got what we thought was a superb late booking deal !!! Arrived mid afternoon after a trail of roundabouts and side roads .... Lord Lucan would be easier to find !!!! Went to check in and were met by a polite friendly member of staff ... Walked through main doors to rooms and felt like I had been transported back to a 1970s Care home .... Old style Yale room keys as dark dingy greeting when opening the door .... Carpet grubby and covered in iron burns which was strange as you do not get one provided !!!!! Bed linen dated , water stains on ceiling and walls , handles hanging of bath , paint peeling on panels , toilet roll holder hanging of the wall and and so on !!!! 3 star Hardly !!!! Decided against eating here so returned back at 9 ... Decided to relax In the lounge, approached the bar and was greeted sorry snorted at by an elderly man unkempt and clearly no interest in serving anyone ... My partner decided she would like an Irish coffee OH MY GOD !!!!! The girl behind the bar declared he will love that as the barman threw a strop and made a drama over making one Disgusted ... No offer to leave drinks down Etc so had to stand and wait for 10 mins while he stripped about making the most half hearted Irish coffee I have ever seen .... Decided against another drink and went to bed ......After a poor nights sleep on a small hard bed we went down for breakfast apprehensively !!!! Shown where to go by the cleaner as nobody else around ...entered the buffet and one other table sitting and no staff ( well apart from the constant stream of female getting themselves , tea , coffee , toast etc ... Took it on ourselves to avail of the poor choice of stale cereals , cheap supermarket brand juices which you had to guess which was which ??? A pot of prunes and very little else .... Sat for 5 minutes whilst single waitress served the other table .. Finally being offered tea and coffee and a rack of toast out fried where ordered ..... Waited 10-15 mins with no sugar , condiments etc ... Waitress spent entire time talking loudly to the chef I presume !!!!! Cooked breakfasts arrived and we where disgusted !!!! Slapped onto the plates covered in beans , bread was soaked in grease , mushrooms deep fried and the bacon enemic .... Took one bite and that was enough for us both !!!! Left entire breakfast no chance to comment at the time as waitress was back in kitchen chatting .... Checked out and left absolute disgrace will never be back ...

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife,two year old daughter and I stayed here on a Saturday night recently in order to attend a show on the Sunday in portrush. When we arrived there was a wedding taking place which meant that the hotel was full of wedding guests. This was obviously fine however the issue we had was that to get to reception we had to push out way through a lot of guests to actually find it initially which was a rather uncomfortable feeling because we felt like uninvited guests crashing this wedding. We were given our keys by the friendly girl on reception(the reception/waiting staff were the 1 positive thing I can say about this hotel).we made our way up to the room with a load of bags and a bed rail for our child-there was no lift so this had to be done up stairs and through narrow corridors. When we got to the room
We found it dull-even with the lights on, and very dated.really not what I had expected.i have stated in a lot of hotels/b and b's and hostels in my time and for the cost of this room I really expected better. Although the room was clean it seemed a bit 'grubby' for want of a better word. Our room was at the end of the corridor and because the wedding party was going on through the night people were coming and going at all hours-the fire door at the end of the corridor was right outside our room so everytime someone came through them they slammed shut-this woke me on three or four occasions. My wife didnt sleep at all because of the noise of people shouting and running up and down the corridor all through the night. Obviously our two year old didnt sleep very well either. The breakfast in the morning was actually very good-if served by a rather grumpy chef-so at least this was a bit of a positive. In terms of the wedding that was on this is obviously an important revenue earner for a small hotel and its the most important day for those getting married-the issue I have is that this hotel is too small to host a wedding as well as other paying guests so we were left to feel uncomfortable during our stay-not to mention I'm sure the bride and groom didnt want randoms marching through their party looking for the reception. I do not like to leave a poor review unless it is warranted but I really felt that this was one of the most disappointing stays we have had in a hotel anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 1, 2013

we came as a large group today for the carvery 2 course meal and I just wanted to leave a note to say how lovely it was. The staff were fantastic and gave us complimentary juice and water for kids. The meal was so lovely and great value for money - I will definitely be returning

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at the Bushtown Hotel just last week. The first impressions are good, certainly compared to many other similarly priced hotels, and the staff were attentive and efficient in getting me checked in. I only had one small problem during my stay, which was the wifi was a little weak in the room, meaning struggled to connect. However, the receptionist (Orla?) who was just in training was really helpful, and tried several things to help me out. In the end i managed to get it connected enough to do what I wanted to do. This certainly didn't spoil a nice stay. The rooms are comfortable and clean, perfect for a business stopover. However, it was really the helpful attitude of the staff that made this a place I would go back to.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleraine
Lodge Hotel
#1 of 4 in Portstewart
Causeway Hotel
Causeway Hotel
#3 of 3 in Bushmills

Been to The Bushtown Hotel? Share your experiences!