“picturesque”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Water Margin

Water Margin
Ranked #6 of 81 Restaurants in Coleraine
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Limavady, United Kingdom
“picturesque”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have long wondered what this restaurant would be like but never ventured inside until last week.
We were greeted and shown to a table with courtesy and made feel welcome right from the entrance throughout our stay with staff introducing themselves and discreetly being on hand to respond without being overbearing.

Whilst the menu could be described as typical Chinese buffet the food itself was well prepared without the imposing salt taste that one can usually find in this type of establishment.

The restaurant is situated beside the River Bann and if you are on the river side of the building it is a quaint view however the other side is a main road which circles the town and therefore never really stops.

Given these points I would recommend that anyone who wants to try eating here gives it a go, they should enjoy the experience, however it is not a spot that I would run back to too often. special occasions only I think.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Roadrat102

Coleraine, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and limited menu (they offer European options-enough said)”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had the set banquet for two, but this wasn't the best option as I felt that it was very overpriced and the options were limited. The service is very good here, however I think the atmosphere of the restaurant could be improved as it was very bright and almost like a canteen hall with so many tables crammed in.

I feel this restaurant is catered towards middle aged/elderly/families and people who want to say they are going out for Chinese food, but don't really know what proper Chinese food is or want to be eating authentic cuisine (they offer European dishes...grrrrr!!!! Boring :-( )

PS. They don't do crispy seaweed

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank candystevo88
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
“A pleasant surprise! Worth a visit.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It had been many years since I had been at the Water Margin and what a pleasant surprise it was on my return. The restaurant was full, although we did get a table without booking, and there was a good atmosphere. The menu is extensive. I had the lemon chicken which was lovely. The portion sizes are huge, ideally two people would shares a main course we had a main corse each and it was too much. The food was excellent and good value over all. I will be back, perhaps my time to try the three course shoppers meal deal which seemed very good value.

• Visited September 2013
Northern Ireland
“Perfect!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Had a meal here last Saturday night. Four of us had the Chinese banquet and it was delicious. So much food we couldn't eat it all. I don't normally have desert in a Chinese restaurant but my friend had ginger and lemon cake and it was amazing. Service was first class. Definitely will go back.

• Visited September 2013
Dublin Ireland
“Best Chinese in the county.”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

What's the story with Chinese restaurants in Northern Ireland, are the Chinese as afraid as all other races and nationalities to go to the north.
Couldn't find a nice restaurant in any part of Portrush, Portstewart or Coleraine. Then as we had almost given up, we drove past the boat house along the river in Coleraine, and spotted the Chinese writing at the last second.
What a beautiful place inside, and lots of helpful staff around to help out. The food was beautiful and well presented on the plates, and was very tasty. Such a pity that there are not more around, as I am sure this place can get hectic at the weekend. Parking area is tiny too, so what do they do if the boat club has something on.

• Visited August 2013