“Lovely Resturant”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Banbridge
Downshire Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Banbridge
Dunfermline,Fife,Scotland.
“Lovely Resturant”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We hadn't booked but as it was a Friday night we were hopeful for a table we were pleasantly surprised the waiter asked us to wait at the bar & we would get the next table, 5 minutes later we were seated the food was generous in size & well presented & very tasty, highly recommend by my party will return again on our next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very friendly hotel with a very personal touch from the staff. Everyone is helpful and accommodating. Lovely breakfast and lively bar. Events on Fridays and Saturdays can make it noisy outside at night but the location and quality of the place more than makes up for any down sides. If you want a hotel within striking distance of Belfast, the Mournes etc, look no further.

Room Tip: Twin room 11, nice size, nice bathroom, but overlooks the car park hence the bit of noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
northern ireland
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Went to lunch with my daughter and daughter in law, the menu is very varied something for everyone, and the portions size is huge the meals were lovely an tasty would Definitely go back again, the staff were really nice and very friendly.

• Stayed November 2013
Moenchengladbach
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed in the Downshire for 3 nights - my husband and I in a double, and his daughter in a single. This was my second visit and we had the same room. Both rooms are smartly decorated, with lavish curtains, and pleasing on the eye. However, our bed was a small double and had a very soft mattress, and the quilt was small enough to cause trouble in the night! The bathroom was fine, no window but good lighting, and it was very clean. The bedroom carpet looks a bit tired, but the furniture was in good shape and plenty of room for everything, and electrical sockets in all the right places.

This is a 3 star hotel so we didn't expect giant towels and we didn't get them, but again, all clean and plenty of them.

The food is amazing - go here if you are hungry. Very generous portions, freshly cooked and well presented. Breakfast was excellent. The dining room is nicely decorated and has lots of atmosphere, and the staff are cheerful and willing. In fact, all the staff were very friendly and helpful, and a great asset to the hotel.

The bar is cosy and very busy - a real Irish bar, with excellent Guinness and fast service. Smokers are well catered for with 2 outside areas, smart and clean and one of them is heated. The whole place looks well cared for and there are various seating areas with fires where one can sit and read the papers.

The only downside for us was the noise; we stayed there on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and there were parities on the first two nights. Lots of slamming doors, creaking floorboards and loud party music till the early hours. Personally, I don't object to this in principle - this is what an Irish pub should offer, but it did disturb our sleep. We were also overlooking the main street so had all the early morning noise too, but Sunday night was quiet and peaceful, so if noise is a problem for you, avoid Friday and Saturday. I only wish we had the energy to join in!

The Downshire deserves its 3 stars and in some ways is above that standard - food, staff, service and price. A king sized bed, a bigger quilt, and bigger towels would make a huge difference, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: If you can't sleep due to noise, choose a back room and avoid early weekend.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lisburn
Reviewed October 27, 2013

If you live anywhere near Banbridge town in the Co Down make sure to call into the Downshire
Arms Hotel for a belly busting meal......fantastic.......We had a group of over 30 family & friends for a celebration meal in the restaurant on Saturday night, they placed us in a lovely alcove which gave us a little privacy and made it very cosy. the staff where very attentive and efficient which made the event run smoothly.....BUT the main cause for praise has to be the food....in fact words cant do it justice....but I will try....The starters- garlic mushrooms on ciabiatia tasted divine,
French onion soup very meaty and full bodied, prawn cocktail fresh and tasty with just the correct amount of sauce. the main courses - Stuffed Chicken served on a bed of Colcannon moist, hot and very tasty, Salmon on bed of champ cooked to perfection, steak - cooked just how you like it-
all served with seasonal veg which were not overcooked and plentiful. then to finish - Pavlova oh dear a few inches on after this beautiful desert and lemon cheesecake - really leamony and creamy yum yum. A note to readers....wear something loose as the portions are huge.
A fabulous night was had by all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rosemary B
Coventry
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I spent much of my working week in Northern Ireland and have stayed in B&B in Bangor, the Lough Erne Resort and every type of accommodation in between. I have spent three nights here this year and the following is a fair representation.

Rooms are a mixture of luxury, old world and what feels like a famous Swedish flat pack company - be one thing or the other.

I have asked for earl grey tea at every breakfast. The first time I was given a mixture of peppermint and green tea with no explanation. Second time was breakfast tea, third time was back to the "we design our own tea" sort of philosophy of green and mint teas, but at least I was informed that the two bags were not earl grey. It's actually a strangely refreshing mixture considering I don't usually go for herb teas. The Ulster fry breakfast is beautiful with nicely cooked hot food - I am tired of getting cold beans at every other hotel I stay in.

The hotel has a very strange policy - somewhere around six pm, it closes and locks its front door. Banbridge doesn't feel like it has any more street trouble than any other similar sized provincial town, but it is disconcerting to have to leave the hotel by the rear and walk a couple of minutes around the large car park to get to the High Street. Looking in from outside you see a busy bar and busy restaurant but unless you knew the place, would have no idea how to get in. Maybe it's a "local hotel for local people".

The bar and restaurant have a varied choice of dishes, however come to this hotel for one thing - VERY POSSIBLY THE BEST FILLET STEAK IN NORTHERN IRELAND. Words fail me at the quality of their best fillet - this could turn a vegetarian, never mind the smell of bacon sandwiches. Not cheap at 23.50 but worth every penny.

This place is obviously very well known to locals as is the reputation of their steak. The hotel layout feels a bit cluttered but then the building shape is the building shape. I don't know if I would choose to stay here if I was not working but you can guarantee, their steak would drag me back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be noisy as on main road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ade1266
Banbridge, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

we went for my friend's 40th birthday...good crowd of us! the service was so quick. polite staff. I have to say I have the steak, it was the best ever :-) .... the portions size are huge. we will definitely be back soon!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banbridge
Bannville House Hotel
Newforge House
Newforge House
#1 of 1 in Magheralin
Canal Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Downshire Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!