“good food”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Banbridge
Downshire Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Banbridge
Reviewed August 4, 2012

had a meal here last night the food was lovely the only thing wrong it was served on a cold plate, my food went cold really qiuck. we eat in this hotel quite a lot and have all ways enjoyed so will be going back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marienewry
There are newer reviews for Downshire Arms Hotel

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Downshire this weekend on a short visit to N Ireland.

Most welcoming staff we have met in any hotel anywhere in the UK or Ireland. Superb spacious and spotlessly clean room - and food to die for.

Why this hotel has only a 3 star rating is beyond me. We have stayed in 5 - star hotels at 3 and 4 times the price with zero personality, awful food and staff who didn't give a stuff. If you are in Northern Ireland this is the place to stay. Forget the diet for a few days and live life the way it should be lived - the Downshire Way. Leslie on reception - for this lady alone, 6 stars.

Room Tip: If you want the best room, just ask!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pbkm
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at the downshire on Saturday 7th July for one night. On arrival, we were shown to our room which was nice but very noisy (we had expected this though as it was a Saturday night & the downshire is a very popular place for all ages) I went to reception to ask to be moved as I had work the next morning and the girl on reception was more than helpful, she moved us to a far quieter room (which had a great big flat screen tv!!)
We are regular visitors of the restaurant and I must say, we were not disappointed! Lovely steak, cooked to perfection in a lovely setting of a dining area.
We also had our breakfast in the same dining room the following morning - absolutely spot on! Just what we needed on a Sunday morning! :)
Overall, top class food, brilliant staff, and although our first room was a little dated compared to our second room, both were spotless!! Thank u :)

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank wmcc17
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was my 4 th or 5th visit over the last few years, and the Downshire just gets better & better. Lovely setting, really friendly staff - can't do enough for you. Food is superb, and a good choice. Wouldn't stay anywhere else when I'm in this part of the world.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank stuartw63
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Sunday 1st July 2012
Having been going to the restaurant in the Downshire for years, we have always been very happy with the service and the excellent food, so had no hesitation in meeting up with friends who were passing through on their way to the airport. The table was booked for 6 o'clock to allow sufficient time for a relaxing meal before our guests had to leave. Our orders taken well within ten minutes of being seated but he waitress immediately returned to tell us that there was no curry left. According to the website evening meals are served from 5.30, so within half an hour the curry was finished! Two of us quickly chose again.
We waited, time was ticking on and still we waited, watching the clock, as our guests had a plane to catch. By now it was coming up to ten to seven so I found a waitress who was re-setting a table and asked her if there was any possibility of getting our food. Her reply assured me that it was 'just coming now'. Okay! Good! But...you've guessed it!.. We waited! As it got to seven o'clock we were discussing the possibility of leaving. Our guests would be heading off without having eaten.
I again went to find out what had happened to our meal and was fortunate to find the receptionist who immediately went to sort it out. Thanks to her we were served within a few minutes, but our guests had to rush through their meal...one course only...and rush off. Absolute disaster!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Meryl B
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The hotel stay was very comfortable, clean, wiifii was free-- great value -Food out of this world and would highly recommend this establishment when visiting in N Ireland or for just a local getaway. The Staff was excellent Debbie Ann and Leanne at front desk were sweethearts-went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of, in the restaurant Jade, Chesley and Orla were very friendly and personable--bartender Danielle was brilliant/ attentive and smiley, room 5 is gorgeous with character, owners Nigel and James Heslip were on-site to personally check with each guest to make sure their stay was a positive one. The staff at this hotel are very hard workers and like Family after you stay here!
10 out of 10!! Dave & Sinead

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dave s
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I'd written before about the poor reception I received here. This time, a year later, calling in for lunch with my family, what a complete change - almost like a before-and-after training video. Same receptionist on the same phone but the phone was immediately put down and we were warmly welcomed. We then had one of the best, proper pub lunches I've had in ages: Braised steak and onions in a deep rich gravy, with a bowl of fresh champ, mashed carrots and parsnips and green beans - £7.50. The last restaurant we'd been to as a family for lunch was Hix's in Lyme Regis - see my coruscating review. The children there ordered chicken goujons and chips - 4 bland goujons and a few oven chips. Here they ordered the same (we do try to make them more adventurous!) but what a difference: seven fat tasty home-made goujons with home-made chips and salad. Same price. Learn, Hix. The place was buzzing (no wonder) and there were several smiley, friendly waitresses serving. Take another tip, Hix. I cannot recommend this place highly enough for excellent quality and excellent value. Long may it reign.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banbridge
Belmont Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portadown
Armagh City Hotel
Armagh City Hotel
#1 of 2 in Armagh

Been to Downshire Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!