“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newtownards
northern ireland
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Have only ever had a drink in this hotel until we decided to try the food and we were glad we did. The hotel is situated on the edge of town with loads of parking and on entering hotel you get a good vibe immediately. We took some nice seats at the fire and were approached right away for drinks orders and offered a choice of 3 menus which suited everyone.My wife and I took advantage of the special menu which consisted of up to 3 courses and glass of house wine. We took 2 courses for 13.95 with a glass of a very agreeable red.We followed this up with my wife having the seared tuna and I had the stir fried pork.All in all an excellent meal with great service and friendly pleasant staff .Have started to recommend this hotel to my friends already and can't wait to go back.Well done to all the staff and management and of course to the chefs!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ownerstrangford, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments about our variety of menus, quality of food and high standard of service. This gives our Staff great encouragement when their friendly and professional hard work are recognised and appreciated.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your experience in LeWinters Bistro, Bar & Restaurant and thank you once again for your custom and taking the time to post your review, they are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
New York
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Good hotel close to the heart of Belfast. I've stayed here several times and really like the restaurant here as the food never disappoints. There is also a very good bar scene on weekends. The staff is always friendly and helpful and the rooms are always clean. My wife has allergies and some rooms in this hotel have set off her allergies on occasion. Newtownards is a great town with a nice town square that has a great market on Saturdays that's worth a visit, although we didn't get there this time around. Scrabo Tower is a nice walk from the hotel if you have the time for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gimper90
ownerstrangford, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff of the Strangford Arms Hotel, I wish to thank you for your positive and complimentary comments about LeWinters Bar, the service and the quality of food in LeWinters Bistro & Restaurant . This gives our Staff great encouragement when their friendly professionalism and hard work are recognised and appreciated. Also thank you for praising the high standard of cleanliness in our bedrooms. If you can give us some indication on how we can help to prevent your wife’s allergies and therefore alleviate her discomfort during her next visit we would be delighted to assist.
I agree Newtownards has a great location being so close to Belfast and it is a great town with a nice busy town square, a great Saturday market and fantastic shops. The pleasant walk to Scrabo and the stunning views when you reach the tower makes it one of Northern Irelands top tourists attractions.
Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments. We very much value and appreciate your custom and look forward to welcoming you and your wife in the near future.
Bangor
Reviewed September 17, 2012

i visit here regulary with the family for lunch, staff are pleasant and helpful, meals are always decent sized portions and delicious! Foods served relatively quickly but 100% worth the wait! will definitely be returning again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff, I wish to thank you for your positive and complimentary comments about the value, quality and standard of our Food. This gives our Staff great encouragement when their friendly professionalism and hard work are recognised and appreciated. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly and speedy service in pleasant and comfortable surroundings.
Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments and we do very much value and appreciate your custom and look forward to seeing you and your family in the near future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The photographs of the exterior of the hotel on the internet are a bit misleading as it does need a good freshen up! However, one can’t always judge the book by the cover and we were pleasantly surprised upon entering the hotel to find it fresh and airy. There is free parking in a medium sized car park attached to the hotel. We arrived about an hour before check-in time, but a very pleasant receptionist said it wasn’t a problem, and dealt promptly with us. The room we got on the 2nd floor was neat and tidy, if a bit small. We’d hoped to have a Chinese meal out but were told by the receptionist that all the Chinese establishments in the area were take-aways only. Instead, we dined in LeWinters which is the restaurant/bistro belonging to the hotel. They are doing some meal specials at the minute – we had a delicious main course and a glass of wine for £9.95 each. Service in the resaurant was good. We were extremely tired after a long journey from Dublin and had a good sleep in a comfortable bed, despite the loud music and ‘thump thump thump’ beat from the night club on the ground floor. It is quite ridiculous to actually site a nightclub on the ground floor of an hotel, knowing there are paying guests trying to sleep in the bedrooms above. Bear in mind that we stayed on a Friday night, so during the week or other nights at the weekend might be quieter. Breakfast was the usual self-help buffet offering along with hot ‘cooked to order’ breakfasts. Check-out was as quick as check-in (we like that!) We got a good deal for our B&B night and would stay at this hotel again. It was an ideal base to enable us to visit the Ards Peninsula area, but we would ask next time not to be put anywhere within earshot of the night club.

Room Tip: If you don't want your sleep disturbed, ask for a room far away from the night club particularly...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff of the Strangford Arms Hotel, I wish to thank you for your custom and for leaving your positive and complimentary comments about our receptionists, LeWinters Bistro & Restaurant, and the quality and value of the food and beverage served during your visit. This gives our staff great encouragement when their friendly professionalism and hard work are recognised and appreciated.
I do apologise for the disturbance coming from the entertainment below. It is often difficult to allocate all our residents quiet bedrooms even though we do have a large number of rooms divorced from the entertainment. In future we will try to obtain more detailed information from our guests regarding their requirements during their stay.
With regard to the exterior of the Hotel entrance, we have an ongoing refurbishment and maintenance program in place, and the Hotel entrance will be addressed in the New Year, weather permitting.
We do very much welcome constructive criticism as we strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean and comfortable surroundings.
We do very much value and appreciate your custom and look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Assuring you of our best attention at all times.
Lampeter
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Decided to stay here rather than in city centre Belfast. Handy for the coast and not too far from Belfast so all in all a good location. Hotel is easy to get to and check in was straight forward enough, but just adequate and no more.

Room was good with a large bed, which turned out to be two singles pushed together. Food in the bistro was the highlight of the stay, with very generous portions from a menu offering a wide choice. Bar service was on the slow side - on one occasion the only bar person was emptying the glass washer whilst I stood waiting, even though she'd acknowledged me a few minutes earlier.

My room was far enough away from the function room so that I couldn't hear the wedding reception disco, but I was treated to the early morning (03.30) wake up call from a noisy group returning from a night out. The usual shouting and door slamming that seems to haunt this type of hotel and precisely the reason I was trying somewhere out of Belfast. This was the only thing that spoilt the stay so I'd probably give the place another chance.

All in all, not a bad stay but only average as it just does what you expect and nothing more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ownerstrangford, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff, I wish to thank you for your positive and complimentary comments regarding our Bedroom facilities and our high standard of food in LeWinters Bistro, Bar & Restaurant, as they give great encouragement to our staff. I have identified the receptionist during your check-in and bar person on duty, and I will address your points with more in-house training.

I do apologise for the Wedding Party disrupting your night’s stay. This is a very rare occurrence as residents usually respect that there are other guests staying in the hotel and our night porter is also on hand to assist if such a problem does arise.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments as we do strive to achieve first class and friendly service, excellent food and beverage, in clean and comfortable surroundings.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Pre booked and pre ordered lunch group... Expensive, slow, dry, and tasteless ... Service was ok but they really need to sort out lunch time menu and pricing, but hey, it's a hotel = expensive & tasteless

• Stayed August 2012
On behalf of the Strangford Arms Hotel, I wish to thank you for taking the time in leaving your comments in relation to your lunch and I am disappointed that you were dissatisfied with the pricing and standard of cuisine during your visit. We very much encourage constructive criticism as we are constantly striving to provide first class friendly service, excellent food and beverage, in pleasant and comfortable surroundings.

Following my investigations I can confirm that our Assistant General Manager looked after your Party of 30 people during the entire food service and we have since checked with the organiser to reconfirm that she was fully satisfied with the quality of food and service which we provided, and I am pleased to state that she was delighted with everything and full of praise. I can however confirm that one member of the party disliked her meal and this was replaced immediately with a dish more suitable to her palate. The Manager checked with this lady and the rest of the party to be reassured that everything was to everyone’s satisfaction, if you had of informed the Manager during this check back you would have been offered to choose an alternative menu item.
Having reprinted your bill I can confirm that the correct price was charged for all meals and this can be verified by viewing our menus at www.strangfordhotel.com . You will also see when viewing our website that we offer two lunchtime menus; a Day Deli menu offering meals from £4.95 and our LeWinters menu that offers a much wider and varied selection.

We have also replied to your email regarding this complaint and I do hope that you can accept my explanation as we do very much value and appreciate all our customers and I hope we will see you in the Strangford Arms in the future.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times
vermont
Reviewed August 17, 2012

It's hard to say anything wrong with Strangford Arms Hotel - the attractive room was more than comfortable, the staff was friendly and accommodating, the location perfect, the lively entertainment in the restaurant/lounge was located away from the lodging so as to let guests chose for themselves when they wanted to sleep and not when the music stopped (if you know what I mean). Breakfast was included and was a full Irish breakfast or cereal/yougurt. We'll definitely be staying here on our visits to the Ards. I see another reviewer mentioned the £100 deposit - my understanding, as it was with other prepaid hotels, this deposit was for restaurant, room service, laundry, etc. It was simply a standard holding fee that was never charged onto my credit card. Not a problem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ownerstrangford, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments about our Bedroom facilities and our high standard of service. This gives our Staff great encouragement when their friendly and professional hard work are recognised and appreciated.
We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings.
Thank you once again for your custom and taking the time to leave your comments, they are greatly appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtownards
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,677 reviews
Portaferry Hotel
Portaferry Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portaferry

Been to Strangford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!