“Better than expected”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I had been here a couple of times before over the past few years and found it hard to say if I liked it or not. This time it was much better than expected.
It is very very popular especially with the slightly older client. I was with my mother who uses a rollator to get about and I found it slightly crowded to allow for easy passage and the shop layout was a bit narrow as well. We were seated quickly and served in a reasonable time as well. We were offered the chance to split a desert between us which was a nice practical touch. All the staff were very polite and prices fairly average for this type of facility. It is always busy and you may need to que, this means that it is also noisy, the carpark is also busy and the gravel surface makes it a bit chancey for disabled people but not unmanagable. Still not sure if I would go there again but at least the Mother enjoyed it.

1  Thank FlyingGrandad

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Went to McKees for lunch this afternoon. Have been before, so was expecting food to be to the usual high standard. We were seated quickly and order was taken by a slightly flustered waiter, whose mind appeared to be elsewhere...no matter as the waitress who served us our food was more than helpful...I had the burger and chunky chips and my finacee had the chicken gougons...all 2 of them, which for almost £9, I thought was a bit mean and disappointing. My burger was over-cooked and the bacon topping didn't taste great. We have both had these dishes before and they were a world away from the fare offered on this occassion. Will give McKees the benefit of the doubt (everyobe has a bad day) and give it another go in the future.

3  Thank stubaru80
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I love this place, I live just down the hill from this place which is such a gift. The food is so good especially their omelettes but their prices can be a bit edgy. Another good dish that I would recommend is the poached egg on toast with saddleback bacon. The service in this restaurant can sometimes lack but the food comes out pretty quick.
I would give this restaurant 4/5

1  Thank Jack M
Reviewed January 24, 2013

McKee's is a favourite of my family and I. It's best to go for breakfast or brunch as it's not as busy as lunch. If you are going for lunch then be prepared to queue. Generally don't have to queue for too long & there are seats for those less able to stand while waiting which is nice.
The staff are lovely & very helpful, the restaurant itself is clean & the big windows give you a lovely view of the countryside (when the weather allows!).
The food is lovely, I specially recommend their homemade wheaten bread! My only complaint with the food recently was the lasagne. There was a lot of meat and the sauce was alright but there was only one layer of pasta, and it was at the top covered in cheese, which wasn't fully melted. This was the first disappointment I've had with the food & I have been many times. It can be a bit more expensive than some cafe's in the town but I think it's worth it and it's definitely not excessive.
I love the farm shop next to it, the selection of fresh food is fantastic although they do charge that little bit more than the supermarkets but that can be expected. The selection of other groceries is lovely, some lovely ingredients for a budding chef!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Decided to visit McKee's for lunch on 2nd January 2013. This was our third visit and as per previous visits the car park was packed and we had to queue for the restaurant. Thankfully we did not have to wait too long but not sure if we would be prepared to queue if we go back again.

Seated quite quickly, given menus and ordered a few cold drinks. The drinks were brought promptly and we ordered our food which again arrived quickly. To finish we had coffee and tray bakes. We have no complaints regarding the quality of the service or the food at McKee's. The fact that there is always a queue shows that this place certainly is very popular!

So why have we given an average score? There were a few issues which we were not happy with and they are as follows. There was a table and two chairs beside us which completely blocked a fire exit door, is money more important than public safety? There was a young guy working on restaurant floor who looked like he had just walked in from the farm, his trousers and boots were filthy. We were glad he wasn't serving us! We noticed when we got home that we had been charged £1.95 for a filtered coffee, this is excessive.