“My favourite little part of N.Ireland”

Mount Stewart House
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Newtownards
More attraction details
Owner description: Remarkable 18th-century house and 98-acre garden that reflect the rich history of the Stewart family who played a leading role in British social and political life.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend visited Mount Stewart on a beautiful sunny Sunday in June 2013. My homeland is Yorkshire, England but I have lived in Northern Ireland for the last 3 years. This is, so far, my favourite little part of this wee country. It was just stunning! We arrived late in the afternoon (around 4pm). The house closed at 5pm but the gardens stayed open until 6pm. We ummmed and arrred a little, hesitant to spend £7 each when we knew we wouldn't have an awful lot of time. We were SO PLEASED we did. We settled in a beautiful spot near the lake where a mother swan and 7 little signets were swimming close-by looking for food, at one point they came almost within touching distance, it was fantastic! We saw and photographed butterflies, the little dragonfly flew high above us and came to land on my hand. We saw rabbits too and a beautiful variety of plants. The scene was unbelievably beautiful and I just couldn't stop myself from taking photo after photo. I am really looking forward to going back as for obvious reasons we didn't get time to see the house, or have lunch in the cafe etc. But to be honest, it was worth the £14 in total just for those 2 hours we spent in the grounds. I fell in love with Mount Stewart and I can't recommend it highly enough.

1  Thank Vicky S
There are newer reviews for Mount Stewart House

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This home is beautiful, but the gardens are some of the nicest and spectacular that we've ever seen in the UK!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent a good few hours yesterday & really enjoyed the gardens. After visiting a few other houses recently we were looking forward to Mount Stewart as we hadn't visited the house in years. The tour of the house was very disappointing because of the refurbishment you only seen a handful of rooms, and really to take you into the chapel the last room to see, which was just being used as a store room nothing to see just a picture of how it was, what was the point!. The tour guide was poor uninteresting, stumbling over her words and we didn't learn much about the artifacts in the rooms or the family. I have to agree with the last reviewer the house should be closed until refurbishment is complete.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Mountstewart as a whole was excellant, the gardens are amazing and the walks around the grounds are too. The tour around the house was very disappointing. When buying your ticket you are not told that the refurbishment of the house restricts the tour to a building sight in the main hallway and a visit to three other rooms only. This tour isn't worth the time or money. I wish i had of spent the time touring the gardens and lake instead of the house. It should really close while the work is being carried out.

1  Thank EAHBelfast
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We spent a great day here last week.The first place to visit was the Bay restaurant where we had a lovely lunch and a cup of tea.We then walked round the grounds which were glorious,such an array of colour and well tended.Plenty of fun to be had watching the wildlife on the water and surrounding areas.We then stopped for a well earned locally made ice cream,our only problem was deciding which flavour to choose-I had rhubarb and custard!! A visit to the gift shop was a must and we found plenty of original and tempting things to buy.Unfortunately we hadn't time to do the tour of the house but hope to return to do it soon.The staff were pleasant and helpful and the parking was also good,all in all a great day out for every one.