“Perfectly acceptable and pleasant”
Review of Inn on the Coast

Inn on the Coast
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Portrush
Stafford UK
“Perfectly acceptable and pleasant”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife and 2 young children took a nights stay at the Inn on the Coast as part of a free nights stay from Stena Line. No catches, free nights holiday including breakfast. We booked knowing it was a 3 star and seen the reviews on here. We weren't really expecting that much but we were pleasantly surprised! The place looked nice and of course a great location for all things north coast. Our only comment is potentially the signage could be a little more upmarket as it was that kind of corrugated printed board. Car park was huge with plenty of room. Inside we were treated but a very friendly young receptionist who was most helpful and polite. Throughout our short stay we got a sense that the staff had been briefed to make sure they make guests feel assured they are there to make their stay enjoyable and it was very good to see.

Once checked in we were given a family room at the front of the hotel, perfect, the room was very large and clean. Basic, yes, but you only sleep in it! Bathroom was again clean and had all the things you needed. Yes the fan was noisy but didn't detract from using the thing :-)

Beds comfortable, the room was quite warm over night but not really an issue. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and Ulster fry was ok.

We did eat in restaurant in the evening, prices not bad although all side orders extra so I think it makes it look good value but your just getting a main meal.

We had the deep fried Camembert to start which was nice and I had the steak and Guinness pie which was plentiful and full of succulent meat. Wife had the polenta vegetarian option but wasn't as impressed but I liked it! All in all a tasty 7/10 I would say.

We would be happy to stay here again as it was clean and prices seemed reasonable. It's not high end class but its not low end rubbish!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Craigavon
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here with my mother and two dogs, staff friendly, room comfortable, breakfast was good, apart from the porridge, would definitely stay again, great that dogs are allowed. Lovely location for walking

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Co Down, Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed with my 2 sons for one night this week and we are more than happy with the experience!

Ok, it isn't The Slieve Donard or The Merchant as far as decor and luxury is concerned, but if you want a room that is clean and perfectly functionable with staff that are really nice and friendly who make you feel like a visiting friend rather than just a passerby and which you can use as a base to visit this stunning part of the world rather than a hotel where you want to sit in the room 24/7 then you should give the Inn on The Coast a shout....

I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever come across a friendlier hotel in all my travels than this one. The room was clean and comfortable (ok, some attention to decor would possibly improve things but I don't stay in hotels to check out the decor - I am usually sleeping or getting washed to go out and see the sights). The breakfast had a good range of items to choose from and we all got what we wanted - the pastries were my favourite - delicious!! and the cooked breakfast was spot on! My only regret is that we went into Portrush for dinner that night instead of eating in the hotel but I will know for the next time.

I have already provisionally booked to return in September but not sure if I will be able to make it or not, but I do hope to return for a week next summer, and if I do, then I know I will receive as warm a welcome then as I did this visit!

Many thanks to Adele and all the staff for a really pleasant stay :D

Room Tip: our room was at the front above the reception/restaurant area and I was able to avail of the free Wi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The first thing is to echo the view that the staff are all incredibly friendly. However in common with many N Ireland travel experiences this does not compensate for some let downs. Firstly and most annoyingly on a Friday night after 11 pm we could not get a drink as residents. I have never experienced this anywhere and in a N Irish hotel is surely almost unheard of. The TV in the room was far too small for the size of the room and had very few channels and as far as I could tell no radio. Space was provided for a fridge but there was none. Breakfast was good although the buffet station needed plates and to be tidied. Cooked breakfast order was brought quickly but had items not ordered. Good points included the friendly bar and reception service, bed very comfy, views excellent. Childrens games room a plus but could do with some updating. All in all a good hotel which could be world class with a little more thought and effort.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris M
Cheshire. UK
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nights whilst touring Northern Ireland .
Reception staff very friendly and helpful, nothing too much trouble.
Hotel rooms are along the lines of a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge. Basic (but spacious) room which would accommodate a family of 4, with complimentary Tea/coffee/biscuits. Hair dryer. Beds comfortable. Room clean but could do with a little more decoration to create a warmer welcoming feel. Bathroom with bath and shower,again very clean.
Breakfast - selection of continental or full Irish breakfast which is included in room rate was good.
There is a bar attached to hotel where you can purchase the usual pub menu. didn't eat here but food looked plentiful. Wifi in bar. Family friendly.
Hotel is about a 10 minute drive from the centre of Portrush, but there is a bus stop outside hotel.
Pleasant 2 days.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank WadsworthCheshire_UK
North Tyneside
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Staff were consistently and proactively friendly throughout, asking where we were from, what we had done, what were our plans, organising a taxi, and making breakfast very pleasurable. The hotel itself is well located, a lovely coast walk of just over a mile from the harbour at Portrush, or about £4 by taxi. The coast is stunning, but this is the trickling suburbia of Portrush, and the environs are not special. The hotel is well appointed, with a good lounge and wifi. The decor is blandand a bit passe, apart from the very good original artworks, most for sale. Breakfast was very good, although very focussed on the Ulster Fry. That said, all permutations were possible and efficiently and well served. A fish alternative like smoked salmon or kippers maybe? The bedroom was huge, with everything necessary, and very comfortable beds. A severely asthmatic extractor in the bathroom was a pain for neighbours I imagine when the bathroom was used at night, but it cut off reasonably quickly. A recommended stay at £99 for two, bed and breakfast.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed here recently for 2 nights in a large spacious family room. £99 b&b per night. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Breakfast was great. The room was clean enough but like other reviews say could do with a bit
more care and attention. The fire alarm issue happened to us aswell and we were almost out of the door for evacuation but the alarm quit and the second time it went off it was apparently our room that set it off as we had boiled the kettle...bit annoying as needed the kettle for water to heat my baby's bottle and the kettle can't be moved away from the detector as it is wired into the wall without a plug. I ended up holding a towel over the kettle to catch the steam so I didn't set the alarm off again.
The location of the hotel is great - handy for both Port Rush & Port Stewart. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was good & reasonably priced, again the service was great. I would recommend this hotel for the location & staff friendliness.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portrush
Portrush Atlantic Hotel
#2 of 8 in Portrush
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bushmills

Been to Inn on the Coast? Share your experiences!