“Number 1 in Portrush”

Ranked #14 of 28 Portrush B&B and Inns
Broughshane
“Number 1 in Portrush”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My stepfather is now 82 and loves Portrush. He has stayed in other guesthouses in recent years but now requires somewhere to stay with less steps/stairs. We were a bit nervous booking a new guesthouse but in his opinion this is the best & wishes we had discovered it years ago.
On arrival we were met by Sam who was very friendly and welcoming. She got my stepfather registered, showed him how the doorkey worked (several times with much patience), explained about breakfast etc. My stepfather has nothing but good to say about Harbour Heights, the great breakfasts, clean rooms and the chats he had with Sam and Tim. During his stay he took a dizzy spell one morning and did not appear for breakfast. Sam went to check on him, he was not too bad but she kept an eye on him until he was OK! Well done Sam.
He liked it so much he has booked another nine nights in September - the fact that he got the last available room shows how popular this place is. When we went to collect him we stood and yarned with Sam and Tim for about half an hour. They were in no hurry to get us "packed off".
Some of the reviews really surprised me - I half expected an ogre to answer the door. Forget it - Sam and Tim are South African. If you have ever been to SA you will know how friendly and welcoming the people are - Sam and Tim are the perfect example.
I am very happy for my stepfather to return in September because I know Sam and Tim will keep an eye out for him. He can't wait.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LittleAud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2012

On arriving at Harbour Heights on Saturday 26th May 2012 we found the proprietor Sam very accommodating and welcoming. Our room with sea view was lovely, breakfast was average. When I went to pay for room Sam advised me that she was taking £20 off total of room as my boyfriend wasnt able to stay and would charge me £60.00 instead of £80.00. When I asked Sam what time check out was she told me in quite an abrupt manner 10.30a.m. which was fair enough but there was no need for such an abrupt tone. My friend and I asked could we leave our bags at guesthouse as our train wasnt leaving Portrush until 1.50, Sam was very obliging and advised that wasnt any trouble. However upon returning to Guesthouse to collect bags Sam asked me could she speak to me, I was informed that Sam's husband had spent an hour trying to fix door in bedroom which I stayed in with my 3 year old god daughter and that I would be charged an extra £20.00 for fixing the door. I told Sam that there was no way I had broken this door and there was no way a 3 year old could break it. To say I was furious is an under statement, I paid the £20.00 as I couldnt be bother arguing, I would never stay in this guesthouse again. The sheets on double double were soiled, whoever had stayed in room No.1 before we did had left bags of sweets in drawer and this had not been cleared away. This is the first time I have ever made a complaint about any accommodation I have stayed in, whilst location was great Sam's hostess skills leave a lot to be desired !!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank PatriciaG673
twomadcachers, Owner at Harbour Heights Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for your review, I do not recall being abrupt, but then it could just be my accent & the manner in which I speak, as it is different to the Northern Irish accent.
The bedroom door was working perfectly fine when I left you in the room; but not when I went to change the room over. You, your granddaughter, your friend & her child were the only ones using the room, constantly opening, closing & slamming the room doors that evening and not once did you report any fault with the door during your stay; the deduction is, you caused the damage & didn't report it. Had I the need to call a professional in to repair the door, the damages cost to you would have been to cover their bill, and probably a lot higher for a Sunday call-out. It is standard policy for breakages or damages to be paid for by the responsible party, even if they are discovered after check-out.
With regard to the 'soiled' sheets & the draw of sweets, the linen is changed after every check-out with clean sheets we have professionally laundered by an outside company; had there really been a problem with your sheets; and it had been brought to my attention we would have changed them for you immediately. The drawers too are checked on changing the rooms & anything left in them is discarded.
San Francisco
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Great location - very convenient to attractions in Portrush and the owner, Sam, was very nice and helpful with dinner suggestions. Four of us stayed in one room - two adults and two teenagers - which was a bit cramped, but cozy. Wish we could have had a room with a view. Photographs of the area on display are amazing. Breakfast was very good. We left something behind and Sam was so kind to find it and send it to us in the US.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Karen W
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms, plainly furnished. Outside doesnot give a good impression, dirty windows! Not good for sea views. My first thought was " I am not staying here". But it did get better and both Sam and her husband were friendly and gave us all the information we required. Having said that I wouldnot stay here again as I think it is overpriced for the standard of accommodation. also I felt that Portrush itself is a little tacky for me but it was a very busy place and obviously popular with families. (we are all in our 50s and 60s) the other poor point is that there is no parking. You just have to drive round until you find a space.

Stayed April 2012
5 Thank kidstogo
twomadcachers, Owner at Harbour Heights Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Thank you for your review, we do appreciate the feed back; although there is not much we can do about the exterior of the building pebble-dash is not the most appealing finish but as the building was built in the 1870's it is protected. As for the 'dirty window' the seals on the double glazing had perished & we were waiting for the weather to improve for the workmen to be able to replace them. All our windows are cleaned every week.
I are sorry you feel Portrush is tacky, but we are extremely proud of our little seaside town with it's historic features like Barry's Amusements which has been around for almost a full century, and our Tudor-style old station building. Portrush is popular with families, and the old & young alike.
belfast
Reviewed April 9, 2012

myself, my partner and our 4 children stayed here for the easter weekend. the room was spacious, very comfy and immaculately clean, as was the large en suite with a shower and bath. we were central to everything in portrush and were given great tips of where to go etc from sam. our sons bottles were heated, the buggy was stored for us over night and the breakfasts were very tasty with fresh coffee supplied for our arrival to the dining room, a lovely smell in the morning! i simply cannot recommend this b&b highly enough, and we are already planning our return...as i commented in the guest book,much better than words could capture!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kimberley m
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband & I stayed here last weekend for 1 night. We payed £10 extra for a room with a sea view at the top of the house which was quite a trek but well worth it for the view. The room was good size, plenty of hot water in the bathroom, the bed was very comfy and the breakfast was excellent!

If you are looking for somewhere to relax & be central to the beaches etc then this is a great spot, if your looking for somewhere for a night of mad partying you may want to pick somewhere else.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for sea view