“Wrecked before it started”

and 1 more site!
Harbour Heights Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 28 Portrush B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a place to rest up, so we approched the B&B and rang the doorbell twice. At first I thought no one was in, so we began to walk away. The woman came out and I walked over. I asked about the rooms and she responded in a very rude tone. I had to stand there and take it, said "ok" then walked away. Really rude to the both of us. I wouldn't recommend staying at that B&B

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Double_J_12
twomadcachers, Manager at Harbour Heights Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

This review is ludicrous & in my opinion fabricated; January is an extremely quiet month so chasing guest away by being rude would be counter-productive. No-one would just 'stand there and take it' then just say 'ok' and walk away at the level of rudeness inferred. And lastly Coleraine (where the reviewer is from) is 15 minutes drive away: I could only imagine you are the 2 who rang the doorbell & asked how much a room is PER HOUR!

Reviewed November 15, 2011

Booked in here as a party of 8 on a stag do which we made Sam fully aware of from the beginning. One of the stag parties couldnt make it due to illness and we were charged for his room, even though Sam told us she hadnt even made up his bed yet and there were plenty other rooms available. Sam was extremely grumpy and annoyed because we didnt arrive at 12 noon, we were held up in traffic and arrived at 12.30. Your not allowed to eat in your rooms or you get a £50 fine, if you leave a mess, you also get fined. Room was tiny, i shared with my friend and the beds were joined at the bottom so we were top and tail! Sam was extremely rude when we arrived back at 1.30am, apologised in the morning but its not good enough. There was NO heating and NO hot water! I didnt even want to have my breakfast in this hostile environment so i didnt. Value for money - terrible do not go here if your under 60 years old!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandy Y
twomadcachers, Owner at Harbour Heights Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

As I run the B&B on my own during the day I have to plan my day & my errands around guest check-in times, which I ask for in advance of your arrival; I had made special arrangements for your group to check-in at 12noon - much earlier than normal check-in time, between 2pm - 6pm. As you were running late the courteous thing would have been to lift the phone & let me know, but as your group did not I was frustrated when you arrived. As your group was a stag night I was already very apprehensive of your behaviour and this lack of consideration did nothing to ease that feeling.

As your booking was for 8 I had accommodated 4 x twin rooms, as requested, if I had been informed, even earlier that morning I could have rearranged the accommodations to suit the 7 of you, without having to charge for the extra unused, booked bed; but with no advance warning & no vacancies this was not possible.

House rules are displayed on the back of all bedroom doors & on the dining room door, one of them does refer to no food in the rooms as take-out stain the carpets & linen, the £50 fee referred to is stated as a cleaning fee - should it be applicable. These are displayed so there can be no confusion over extra billing if necessary

As for the incident with the doorbell, I did not shout, I was grumpy & irritable and muttering about the unacceptability of the situation, as can be expected when rudely awaken at 1.30 in the morning. When I got to the landing, I noticed you scurrying out of sight, that is when I started muttering - but as you heard me & knew that it was not your companion you could easily have popped your head around the corner & said you'd had a problem with the key, but you got it sorted; that would have resolved the whole issue, but once again common courtesy was lacking. I had also advised you all that I had other guests in the house including a family with a little baby, who, by the way, was awakened by the ringing of the doorbell.

The heating is on a timer, as to decrease our carbon footprint, and as such even starting at 5.30am it unfortunately did not give enough time to heat the hot press that had been emptied the night before with people showering before going out & after returning from a nights' partying.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as it seemed the rest of your group, with the exception of your room-mate did.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

After travelling all the way from Plymouth to sample the warm northern Irish hospitality I was bitterly disappointed to be frog marched by an impatient and rude south African woman called Sam to my room. Unapproachable, abrupt and rude was only the beginning of my jackle and hide experience with this lady. Without exaggeration I was convinced this lady was a prison officer taken me to my cell. Once inside my room your attention is immediately drawn to abrupt warnings and absurd fines littered all over the place (example £50 fine if caught with food in room). The room was very small and to be honest in my opinion did not have space for two single beds, on a positive the room was clean and tidy. I felt uncomfortable in the accommodation and if it wasn't for the fact that I was part of a party of 7 other guests I would have left immediately. That evening we returned to the accommodation at 1.30 am and the door bell was pressed twice as I had a genuine problem opening the front door, fortunately it did open and just as I was entering my room I heard Sam shouting and being rude to one of my friends who hadn't done anything. I could clearly hear her accuse him of wakening her up and she was shouting it,s not on. It was a horrendous customer service. In the morning our organiser apologised for her behaviour, he was embarrassed and felt he had to personally check each of our rooms for damage so that he could defuse any further potential incidents with Sam. Break fast in the morning was satisfactory and Sam did politely say good bye. Through out our stay our party was polite and respected the accommodation and it,s rules and did not deserve the I'll treatment demonstrated above. I will not recommend this accommodation whilst this woman is working there. It almost spoilt our whole visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank HammyPlymouth

If you had a problem with your room you should have said something there & then; as one of your group did not arrive I could have moved you to the room he would have been sharing - a bigger twin.

The checking of the rooms had NOTHING to do with doorbell incident, it is something the organiser of your group agreed on booking the stag night as he understood my apprehension in taking a booking of this kind - stag & hen nights are not welcomed with open arms in most B&B's.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

Sam was very welcoming at first, but unbelievably rude when we didn't want to stay another night as we found the accommodation inadequate. She made us pay half the second night even though we didn't stay there and she still had other vacancies available in the B&B. Before we went out in the evening I asked for some blankets and if the heating could be put on as the B&B was very cold and my parents were in their 80's. I believe she put the heating on, but when we returned at 10pm, the radiators were cold. Our blankets were dirty and none of the televisions worked properly. The breakfast was poor. This was a bad experience, but the rest of our trip in Northern Island we had a fabulous time in other places we stayed.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank jo w

On arrival your party also seemed quite civil. The heating is on a timer & comes on automatically in the late afternoon/early evening for 3 hours; it was put on twice more that evening (once on your request and an additional time closer to midnight); closing windows & curtains fully does prevent the heat from escaping; on bringing the blankets; which were freshly laundered, to your rooms I closed windows & curtains which had been left open. We went out for dinner that evening to celebrate my birthday, but my husband came back at 10pm to check another guest in & let you back into your room that you had locked yourself out of - if you had mentioned the heating to him then he would have put it on before returning to the restaurant.
In the morning after breakfast your 2 groups descended on me like a pack of wolves; all shouting at me at once, in a very condescending manor, about everything you all found unsatisfactory including the layout of the building (built in 1870 - I had no say in it); insulting & threatening me personally as well as another guest who had arrived late after a long day of traveling by coach & ferry alone with her 4 small children; for the noise they had made on arrival. What you took to be a rude reaction was merely self-defense; not once did I raise my voice; insult, nor threaten any of you. I informed you that as you had booked 2 days; the second of which I was fully booked & had already turned business away for; you would be charged for 2 days; this is when your group - including people who hadn't even stayed the night started threatening me.
Only after your group had left did I discover from the mum of 4 that someone in your group had actually verbally attacked her too for the noise her over-tired, small children had dared to make after midnight - this I find totally shameful!

Reviewed October 8, 2011

Samantha Was a great hostess from the first email until our departure. We had a bay window view of the harbor in our room and for breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We arrived at this B&B around 6. They were very welcoming, and gave us a good room. It was slightly smaller than I expected, although the bathroom was large. They had a double bed and a bunk bed. They also have a sitting area. However, getting parking was terrible. The whole city is packed with cars, and you have to keep driving around until you find a spot. For breakfast you have to write what you would like before 8 in the evening, and the breakfast was very well cooked

Room Tip: Try getting bay view, or else its more of a trash and rooftop view