All reviews white rocks beach wedding meal royal portrush golf course main course carvery lunch stunning location fantastic views piping hot window seat roast beef pavlova overlooking the sea the atlantic ocean melon four poster bed lovely hotel jacuzzi bath
Selected filters
Reviewed May 19, 2019 via mobile

Father in law loves a carvery so we headed to the Royal Court today for lunch. We had a booking, which meant we were shown straight to our table.

I ordered the deep fried Brie for my starter, haven’t had it in about 20 years so was looking forward to memories of oozing hot cheese being mopped up with crusty bread and a tart cranberry sauce cutting through the creamy richness of the Brie. Sadly, it was luke warm, solid and had a Chinese five spice background taste. No crusty bread and no cranberry. Instead there was an onion chutney which, like the Brie, tasted of Chinese five spice. Very disappointed.

Watching the eager faces of the other diners carrying their laden plates made me look forward to the main course - the carvery. Being a vegetarian, I’m used to feeling like a nuisance at these venues but I’m usually catered for. So when I asked the server (dressed as a chef but I’m not convinced) what the vegetarian option was, he said (and I kid you not) “there’s potatoes”. Seriously? I love a spud but not as the veggie option at a £20 a head buffet where there is no discount for non meat eaters! As a second thought he pointed towards another container and told me there was ratatouille. Ok, I’ll give it a go. Again, I haven’t had that in 20 odd years because the world of cooking has evolved so much. Except, obviously, in Portrush.

I took a tentative spoonful of the ratatouille, I was deeply suspicious of it. Where were the aubergines? The courgettes? Instead I got a tomatoey sauce with the oddest ingredients. Garden peas, onions, something crunchy (no flavour so I don’t think it was celery) and a legume that looked like chickpeas but tasted of mushy peas.

Veggies included potatoes (obs!), orange mash which I thought was carrot but father in law says was turnip, limp cabbage and that good old 1970/80s Sunday dinner in NI staple - steeped peas.

Dessert looked promising, despite the menu being longer than the freezer department at Iceland. I went for the chocolate gateau. It was as dry as my humour by that point.

The rest of the family had an average meal. The dog enjoyed the majority of the overcooked turkey and beef (he didn’t mind it bring dyed blue by the napkin it was wrapped in!) Only the ham got the thumbs up.

Father in law enjoyed it but he was raised on rations. The other 4 of us would rather have saved at £60 by going to McDs.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2019 via mobile

Called in today for lunch have been before usually good nothing out of the ordinary. We just had a main course choice was good although could have been warmer, veg was very pureed. My one main gripe is the stuffing it's as dry as a bone and full of dried herbs, surely it's not hard to saute onions and add breadcrumbs and fresh parsley. Any time I visit I hope one day to get fresh stuffing but so far it seems to have alluded me. Ki

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2019

Recently had a wee night away at the Royal Court.

Arrived up just before 2 pm which I know is too early for check in so we had a drink and relaxed in one of the lovely seating areas until the room was ready.

Lady on check in was lovely I just can't remember her name but she did call us at 3.00 pm when the room was ready. We were in 116 which consisted of both a double and single bed. The room was spotless and well decorated.

Booked a table in the dining room for 6.00 later that evening.

On arrival in dining room we were given the option to have the carvery. Personally I do not like the carvery but that's only my choice.

We chose of the main menu. Food was served quick and I mean quickly I really do not know how the chef got the food out so quickly. Literally there was no time between finishing your starter and your main was on the table and again for dessert. We literally had three courses fed and watered in just under an hour. Now I know some people would say there is no pleasing some and I agree but I just felt rushed. The food was lovely and piping hot but it was just too quick.
Actually when we left the dining room and were paying the bill I did mention that fact about how quick it was served.

We enjoyed a few drinks in the bar post dinner.

Breakfast the next morning we had delivered to the room. It was fine again came within the time frame and was pleasant enough.

I personally would not stay again but would say it is a lovely hotel perfect if you like a carvery as this option was very popular with guests and locals alike.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2019

We were staying in Portrush for three days and we're looking for somewhere to eat on our final evening. I chose the Royal Court because I thought it would suit my dad who is 90 years old. This was the right decision for him as the food was bland, stuck in the 1990's and based on quantity rather than quality. Having said that my dad loved the experience, the view was incredible and the staff lovely. If you want a fine dining experience then this is not for you.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2019 via mobile

Just passing through and stopped in for lunch. No reservation no problem friendly staff got it sorted. Great food came quickly. Fantastic views over Royal Portrush Golf Club and the North Atlantic coastline.

Trip type: Traveled with friends