“Lastminute Overnight Trip to Portrush”
Review of The Oakdene

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portrush
The Oakdene
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Portrush
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lastminute Overnight Trip to Portrush”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I decided to take my sister and nephew here lastminute as they needed a break. I only picked here as I had trouble finding accomodation for 2adults and 1child so close to the date we decided to go.
Anyways I prefer to start with the bad things everywhere I go because that is what most people are interested in.
Our room was right at the top of the guest house (4 floors up) which when your travelling with children and carrying a real heavy bag isn't great. There was a musty smell in the bathroom, must have been flooding at some stage previously, shower hose must have had a leak and been repaired with black tape, enamel on bath could have done with a go over, also when you turned the water temp up in the shower the pressure dropped alot. The tv was tiny and in the evening when we watched it, we had 2 watchable channels, I decided to fiddle with the aerial at the back and managed to get 2 more. There was no phone in the rooms and with us being at the top it was a bit of a hassle running up and down those stairs. I was looking for a spare plug socket to charge my phone and looked down behind the headboards and noted that when the room was re-painted they hadn't bothered pulling the bed out and had painted around them. The windows in the room would not open, they had been sealed shut, maybe for security reasons. No lock on the bathroom door, and the bedroom door seemed really flimsy, so didn't seem too secure. The staff (think I seen 3 in total)seemed to not wear uniforms or dress professionally, some wore hooded jackets, one was wearing denim shorts with tights. On check in, no I'd or registration card to be completed. I was asked to fill in my name, adress, contact number and arrival date in on some sign in sheet, this contained details of people who had signed in before me!
Anyway, on to the good. Location was excellent, 10minute walk from the train station. The view was stunning from the guesthouse and from our room, as we did have a room to the front. Staff were very courteous and showed us to our room when we had checked in. The room was clean (except a bit of plastic the was down beside the bedside locker). They had created a seating area as such by the window with a rocking chair and small coffee table, it was nice sitting there looking at the view. - had previously mentioned about the tv, however there was a lounge room on the 2nd or 3rd floor that had a 50' tv and Sky so if you really could not live without certain tv channels you could take a walk down to there. Breakfast in the morning was nice, although we did not eat much. You could help yourself to cereal, fruit and yoghurts, everything else was brought out to you. As we were overlooking the water we were able to bring my nephew down to the rocky beach so he could try and catch fish with his net. The area where the guest house is located is very quiet and relaxing.
The exterior of the place and public areas were very well kept which was a bonus as some other guest houses near by looked a bit run down. Overall there was a very homly feel about it and depsite the negative points I would definitely stay again.
P.s. While we were walking down to the amusements located beside the train station we stopped at Mr. Chips Diner (think that's the proper name), they are stingy with portions, service is very slow and the staff don't seem too sharp, when my sister asked for a sausage, that was litey all she got, in my experience in other chippys we have been too you always get a couple of chips with it. Don't go here, there are loads of other places near by.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Sarah H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Thank God it was only for one night! I booked months in advance for a one night stay - on arrival was given a room at virtually the top of bldg, mattress squashed flat as soon as one sat on it, toilet light on floor, grubby. There was a bible in the room perhaps they knew guests needed help!
After complaining was moved to another room but gave 'owner' option to see what I was complaining about only to be told "I can't be bothered", on a lower floor and with a better mattress, however the cleanliness was just as bad - mould on outer wall at side of bed which had to be pushed against it to have room for manouevering. Headboard not fixed to bed OR wall - just resting there - so every movement caused it to bang. Window looked out on to fire exit which couldn't be accessed due to metal grill, wallpaper pealing from wall. A small 'WC' size sink in bathroom with pathetic loose plastic shelf just above which due to size of sink made cleaning teeth etc extremely awkward and mould around floor and dust on skirting board. Tv in room would have been ok had the indoor aerial supplied been any good. HOWEVER on a more positive note the lounge area was clean, comfortable and well maintained AND the morning staff serving breakfast were polite and friendly in serving an excellent breakfast.
This room cost £70 for one night and when compared with others of similar price it doesn't even come to being 1/2 as good! Could NEVER EVER recommend until such times as this place is given a complete makeover.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Portrush hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I don't want to bash this place too much as it was a young family running it and they are doing what they can. The problem is the place is HUGE and I think they may be struggling. Whilst it is 'clean' or at least passably clean to stay in, and staff were friendly and helpful, it is all just looking a bit tired. We booked this place last minute after walking out another b&b in the area, and it did to put a roof over our head for the night but that's about it. When we opened our room door in the morning we were greeted by the smell of grease and fried food. Not very appetising and certainly not the food we had been used to so far in our trip. If your stuck for a place to stay, Oakdene is an option but it certainly wouldn't be my first.

Room Tip: Go to another B&B?
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Me and my fiance went away with out 3 year old son and 7 week old daughter. We were all covered in bites. The mattresses were filthy. A lady was in our room while we where out she didn't do anything apart from leave a note to say not to put napys in the bin and to leave them at reception. I will never be back again! Go away to have a nice family holiday and end up feeling as if we all have fleas lol!!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank mummyoftwoo
janiceScotland, Manager at The Oakdene, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear mummyoftwoo your partner refused housekeeping access to your room and it was myself that left a note to say that nappies could be left at reception for disposal as they were being left in the ensuite where they lay until I myself noticed the smell in the hallway outside your room and removed the soiled nappies.obviously you have taken exception to what was an offer to dispose of them for you rather than have them in the room while you+your partner and kids slept.I have checked the room and although it may be worn the mattress it is not filthy and is covered by a mattress protector which is laundered at every change over.I did not find or have we ever had any evidence of either fleas or the suggested bed bugs and doubt that anyone who has encountered either would finish their review with a "LOL".
Falkirk
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My partner and I had a last minute change of heart from our camping trip and had decided to spend the last two nights of our trip to Northern Ireland in a B&B in Portrush so we could explore the Causeway Coast. I have to admit we booked our hotel via booking.com via my blackberry whilst driving across from Belcoo near the Western border, so it was picked for availablity and budget.

Considering we'd been tenting it I'd been looking forward to a clean room, good bed and some home comforts. Room was tight (see pics from other reviewer - we had the room with tv on top of the cupboard), all was clean just a wee bit tired.

Our room bordered the residents TV lounge so the noise travelled through. Not ideal, but it was what it was.

The young lady who met us was very friendly, we didn't have to go asking for anything and suited ourselves. Breakfast was adequate but I have to say we were not offered options, it was "full fry?" We ate enough and it set us up for the day, have to say I didn't like the bacon but that could just be me.

A short walk round from the hotel and we were in the harbour area, found it perfect for wandering the town.

Final thoughts is that Oakdene is in a perfect location, a bit tired, and in need of a refresh. Average and fine if you are on a budget.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Oakdene was a pleasant little place to stay. The rooms were clean but small and the staff were very nice. The breakfast was brilliant with a huge choice on offer. I would return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank meg038
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2011

the oakdene bnb sort of was booked at last min as my arranged hotel in portstewart rang to tell me they double booked my room which was a pain.i was happy enough staying as portrush was our destination.i had saw reports here of the oakdene and was worried but everything was grand.i have to yes it is 2 star but if youre looking 3-4 star then portrush has that too but for nw west weekend with mates we found everything we needed.i find when away staying somewhere you need the basics to be rite..and with us it was clean room good service and a good breakfast then yes they ticked the 3 boxes alrite.i will stay again as the booked for the beach party end of june.

Room Tip: try get the large family room with view holds 5..
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank cheese135
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portrush
Portrush Atlantic Hotel
Causeway Hotel
Causeway Hotel
#3 of 3 in Bushmills
Portrush Townhouse Accommodation

Been to The Oakdene? Share your experiences!