“A great experience, highly recommended to anyone!”
Review of Alive Surf School

Alive Surf School
Ranked #1 of 10 Tours in Portrush
More attraction details
Owner description: 'Winner - Best Family Activity Provider in Northern Ireland 2011, 2012 adn 2013 ! 'Alive Surf School is the longest running surf school in Northern Ireland and has taught over 11,000 people of all ages, shapes and sizes how to surf! Our simple philosophy is to 'be safe and have fun', we excel at both of these goals and our lessons start from only £20 per person.All lessons last for 2 hours and include all equipment, a drink and snack for afterwards there are even free hot showers at the beach. Our instructors are all fully qualified beach lifeguards, surfing instructors and some have even surfed for Ireland......Book you place now for a really awesome day out!
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our whole family went for a lesson and we couldn't have been more impressed- Hanno, our instructor was incredibly patient, explained things clearly and with great humour, and gave a good balance of instructing and letting us have a go. Hanno watched closely and was able to give helpful suggestions as to improvements. He went out of his way to be encouraging of all achievements, regardless of the level people were at. 3 out of 4 of us were absolute beginners, yet all of us were able to make progress and enjoyed the experience thoroughly! The wetsuits, gloves and boots were included in the price and were of great quality- the suits were only a few months old and we were all plenty warm despite the fairly chilly weather! By the end of the lesson we were already planning our next, and it will definitely be with Alive. Thoroughly, thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank StevenDAdams

Reviewed March 19, 2013

A friend and i were mad enough to book surfing lessons as early in the year as March (very low temps this year) but we had an absolute ball taking our first lesson. After we managed to get the suits on which admittedly was a bit of a struggle, we couldn't feel the cold at all and after our instructor took us through a quick warm up on the beach we weren't even thinking about the temperatures. Equipment is all provided, all you need is your swimwear, a towel and a smile. The instructor was great, very friendly and encouraging, which is perfect for water sports. I highly recommend this surf school as it was a great day, the instructor was thorough and helpful. Would definitely do this again!

1  Thank ClaireEssie
Reviewed March 16, 2013

It was raining and the temperature was about 1 degree, my arms are aching and I know I'll sleep like a baby tonight - my first surf lesson was fantastic!
Ricky, Jonny and Hanno were great teachers - very patient and encouraging but always concerned about our safety. The waves were great today, I may not have managed a 'pop-up' or even a 'slide-up' (lots of wipe-outs though :-)) but I am definitely heading up north for more!

1  Thank Catherine R
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The guys at alive are very safe and friendly. Very enjoyable two days with them. Can't recommend them highly enough. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank HMRP88
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Ricky and Hanno were amazing teachers. Being a beginner to surfing and trying it out for the first time, I had a blast (even though I wiped out more than once). They had a great lesson plan that taught the fundamentals of surfing, and put us right in the water to try it out. Even though there were 12 of us learning at the same time, they gave everyone ample one-on-one training time. Personable individuals who you can have a great laugh with. I'm definitely going up there again this year!

1  Thank Asfand M