“change your dirty bedroom carpet, no more than 3star standard”

Portrush Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Portrush
County Antrim
“change your dirty bedroom carpet, no more than 3star standard”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Stayed in hotel for one night. On the plus side friendly staff, very comfortable bed, room generally clean, spacious room, good location. However on the negative side the bedroom carpet was very badly stained and generally worn down. Seriously, this is not good enough. If you cannot afford to lay new carpets, at least get it cleaned with an industrial cleaner!! Breakfast was bland and of cheap, poor quality items. In bathroom water hot but shower head over bath was very loose on the wall and would not stay in place. Paid £79 for a double room with breakfast. Would have been rather annoyed if I had paid more. Hotel has carpark which I would guess holds approx 15 cars! Therefore, had to park on the street away from the hotel. Did not eat dinner in the hotel, ate dinner at Ramore restaurant at the harbour which was excellent.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Mountain View, Arkansas
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Overall I would rate the Ramada Portrush as very good from my experience. This was the only chain hotel that I stayed in on my week long drive from Kinsale to Portrush up the west coast of Ireland. The other stays were at B & Bs. The trip was last November and was the off season for Portrush. Not much was going on. The town is a tired old coastal resort town with a rundown feel to it. If it had not been for the fact that I wanted to play golf at the Royal Portrush Golf Club I probably would not have even stayed in Portrush.
The receptionist at the front desk at the Ramada was helpful in getting me a tee time at the Club. I got an early afternoon tee time on the Valley course. I was one of the few people playing the course. It was misty and windy when I started my round, but became partly cloudy by the end of my round. It was one of the most memorable rounds of my life. If you have seen some of the photos in Life magazine a few years ago on the Portrush course you can get an idea of the atmosphere that late afternoon of my visit.
The staff was also helpful in suggesting a restaurant for dinner, which was very good. The room my daughter and I stayed in at the Ramada was renovated and stylish. The shower was hot and forceful. We parked right in front of the entrance. The breakfast was very good and plentiful. I remember that the coffee was from an individual coffee press for each customer. I enjoyed the location of the hotel on the strand. For the purpose of my visit, the Ramada was okay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2010

We decided to take up an offer the ramada Portrush had on and we were extremely delighted with the whole experience.
From entering reception to room quality, from breakfast to evening meal, everything was first class.
The knowledge of the staff superb. Even managed to watch barcelona playing on tv, whilst all others appeared to be watching the X factor final.
We will be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Re- posted due to comment I made about the Management that was worded in-Correctly.

I had high hopes for the Ramada due to the location and the brand name.

HOW wrong I was. The reception staff were rude verging on pompous as I had arrived 15 minutes early. More or less told to take a seat at the front area and wait !!! Great Customer service skills, NOT !! I then eventually found the room as I walked down the almost black corridor with lights trying to switch on with sensors. The room initially Looked OK but when I opened the bathroom door I was hit by a smell like rotten eggs. There were hairs in the bath and the towel's had seen better days. The room was frozen cold and the radiator took forever to heat up the room. I complained but never got a reply back from the receptionist. I had tried to park my car bit was unable to as there were reserved signs all over the car park. I then discovered that the car that had come in before me was staff ? Not a great start to the day. In fact 2 spaces were reserved for staff who appeared to be the chef and the Manager. Customers apparently come second in this establishment.
I decided to have lunch and again it was very disappointing. The waitress appeared to have problems understanding me and I had to repeat the order several times. The food was cold and bland. Perhaps it was not the chef who cooked it as she seemed to spend the day outside smoking . The whole experience was horrendous and one that I will not repeat.
I have been to Portrush three times on business and stayed once at a B&B that was near the police station, I cannot remember the name. It was lovely but a little small.

The other hotel I stayed at was the Adelphi. What a contrast. Excellent receptionist who showed me the room, explained breakfast and that they served dinner and also explained free wifi etc. Again this was FREE. Take note Ramada.
Room was large, warm and very comfortable. Spotless bathroom and everything I needed for a good nights sleep. Dinner was excellent and very good value for money. Breakfast was superb and the checkout took minutes. This is an excellent hotel and is family run. NEXT time I am in Portrush this is where I will book. I even received a Christmas card , Now that's Customer service. Take note again Ramada.

Don't waste your money on this corporate hotel which has very little to do with the Ramada name and do yourself a favour and book next door.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank Johnleomcl
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 14, 2010

We really enjoyed our time in Northern Ireland, but our 3-night stay in Portrush was not a bright spot. The hotel has a tired, worn feel and frankly, the town of Portrush does, too. A lot of tourist groups pass through the hotel, which isn't a bad thing, but something to be aware of. If I was planning our trip again, I'd pick a different town to stay in (unless you're a golfer) and hotel that is more personal and intimate.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank afarmandthirsty
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Fantastic hotel and service, lovely food and lively bar. Will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Excellent service and staff attitude, large spotlessly clean room with wonderful sea view on 3rd floor, convenient for exhilarating walks on East strand, food delicious and great choices, quiet at night, would definititely return. Wifi too expensive to use
Helena Trimble

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portrush
Adelphi Portrush
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bushmills
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,718 reviews

Been to Portrush Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!