“A definite hit”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Newtownards, United Kingdom
“A definite hit”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I dined in 55 Degrees North in July this year and had a thoroughly positive experience, it was easily the best restaurant in Portrush following our recent trip. The food was delicious with reasonably sized portions, the staff were polite and efficient, and the view was fantastic. It is not cheap but for the fantastic quality of the food is very reasonable.

• Polish first
Portrush
“High Prices and Minute Portions”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Recently had a meal with friends in 55 Degrees North. Portions were tiny, ie half of one brussel sprout, half of one helping of soggy cold mashed potatoe, one tiny tiny sliver of turkey (don't know how it was cut so thin) no gravy, no cranberry sauce, no roast potatoes all served in one large oval plate. The so called food was lost on the plate. I will not comment on the starters and desert, it was shameful!!! We waited for ages between each course. The bill was sky high. We left 55 Degrees North much more hungry and guess where we went, next door - Kentucky Fried Chicken - and had a brilliant carry out for a fraction of the price in 55 Degrees. Definately will not be back at 55, but will be back at KFC.

3 Thank IvanMarathon
Magherafelt
“waited ages for rude staff and food that made us ill”
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This place is in a perfect location, beautiful views and when weather permits perfect area outside. However the staff spend their time talking to each other and discussing their conquests from the weekend before.

I visited with 4 adults and my 10 month old son. We sat for 20 min while staff simply ignored us. Eventually i went up and asked for menus only to be stared. Without saying a word to me he turned to another member of staff and said" sort this woman out" and walked away. She then asked how many and handed me them, told me she would be out in a while for our order. 15min later she did come and without looking at ustook our order. I asked for a high chair, she sighed! We ordered from the 3 course 11.95 menu

When food arrived it was sparce and badly cooked. I had duck spring rolls that turned out to a 1 roll filled with raw carrott, spicy chicken pasta that turned out to be pasta with all the left over sinue bits off chicken and choc fudge cake that turned out to be chocolate flavoured dry sponge. My husband had mushrooms that he swore were slimey and tasted off, steak that was pure fat and eaton mess that he said was sure cream had turned sour. all four of us were very ill that evening and all of next day.

Think we will stick to harbour from now on.

3 Thank KazPat06
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed, will not be back!”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I attended this restaurant recently as part of a private function, over 100 people.The venue itself is beautiful, and it was a gorgeous sunny evening so the views of the beach were amazing. However, the food and service was appalling!!!

Firstly I had fish cakes, which were burnt on one side (of course the side which was face down!) For mains, I had duck which was overcooked, which made it very tough and difficult to cut. Side dishes of vegetables and potatoes were to accompamy our main dishes, however the potatoes arrived when everyone at the table had finished their meals and this was after I had asked for them twice. For dessert, we had a trio of desserts- of which the cream tasted sour!! Finally what annoyed me the most was when a waiter came to top up my wine- I looked at the bottle, and it was a different wine than was already in my glass. (One was Sav Blanc, the other Chardonnay). I said to him that it was a different wine and could he either wait until we had finished our first glasses or perhaps provide new glasses. He argued with me that it was the same wine that they had been serving all night! It def wasn't as I had asked to look at the label at the start of the meal as I am unable to drink some wines. I thought this was extremely rude! He proceeded to top everyone up except me, but it was clear the two wines were different colours when poured.

As I was part of a conference group, I felt I couldn't complain, and I also didnt want to offend the conference organisers- after all it wasn't their faults. Its disappointing, as I have eaten in this restaurant before, just with a small group and the food has been nice but they obviously are not well-equipped/under trained for catering for large groups/private functions.

3 Thank clairewhit
Northern Ireland
“Definately the best food in Portrush !”
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We dined here on Tuesday 29th June at 7.30pm in the evening having booked a table for myself, husband and two children. . . . a beautiful evening, on arrival, we were greeted at the reception area and made to feel most welcome. . . .we eat out a lot. .. .so all other local restaurants should be taking a leaf out of this......our little girl was immediately offerd crayons in a pretty pencil case and colouring pages . . .. and can you believe. . .my son who is age 11yrs was asked would he like a set of binoculars to gaze out at the spectacular views surrounding.. ...fantastic idea. . . . he was just delighted, as were we, as it kept them amused until dinner arrived. .... . .we had a starter of assorted breads and oils. ...between us....more than ample serving for us , really lovely. .. . followed by a main course...the kids menu was excellent. ...and we had the BBQ Salmon on mashed champ served with Lemongrass and Lemon oil. ..these flavours were just exquisite....I do believe the nicest meal I've ever tasted. . ...it used to be the Harbour Arizona Chicken.....but after eating here...it doesnt come close.....it more than ticked all the boxes for service, staff, atmosphere, price, view. comfortable seating and very child friendly. ...that is the first I have ever come across binoculars being offerd.. .so all of us could enjoy looking out to sea while we waited.. . ..and that was fairly good too. . .and the place was packed out. . . .so well worth phoning well ahead and book. ....so not to be disappointed.. .definately, the best eating place in Portrush.... .and we've tried them all!!!!

Well done 55% North. ... a definate 10 out of 10..... cant wait to be back...!