“Disappointing first and last visit”
Review of 55 Degrees North

55 Degrees North
Ranked #17 of 66 Restaurants in Portrush
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited 55 Degrees North for an evening meal to celebrate our daughter's birthday.
Table booked but still had to wait 15 minutes for our booth to become free. A very varied menu was offered and once we had choosen waited patiently and enjoyed the plesant view from our table.
I had ordered a pasta dish (with no cheese shavings) and when it arrived it looked lovely except the pasta was cold. I stopped one of the waitresses who politely removed it and a few minutes later the dish arrived back with - you've guessed it - cheese shavings!
However I thought I would remove what I could of the cheese but they had taken away my cutlery and not returned it. So once again I had to call a waitress and ask for them. -
I am still unconvinced that the dish returned to me was simply heated up in the microwave or a fresh meal -
Whilst staff were all very polite in responding to my requests there was not one apology about the cold meal - no one came to ask if everything was ok and when we left the restaurant our clothes had the smell of cooked food clinging to them.
We have been to other restuarants in the area where we have never left disappointed so if you do plan to go, make sure you give yourself time to hang about waiting for your table, don't expect a personal service and if you are planning to go anywhere else afterwards, please be aware that the smell of your clothes will be a giveaway that you've already eaten out.
On the plus side, view fantastic!
So to the reviewer who recommends this restaurant as a MUST I would suggest they try the other fantastic restaurants in the area which have been there a lot longer that this one.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,886)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Visited on a Friday night and was really impressed with the modern style, especially the big glass windows overlooking the sea. You couldn't ask for a better view. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Lots of choice on the menu including vegetarian dishes which we had not always found in other places in the area. The food was beautifully presented and really tasty. We also partook of the cocktail menu - definitely recommend the frozen strawberry daiquiris. We found it reasonably priced and quick service despite being very busy when we visited.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Dined in the main restaurant it has lovely views good food and service. Good choise on the menu Was very busy even for a midweek night so book in advance & ask for a window table.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've been to this place four or five times since it opened and never been impressed. I was invited to a working lunch here last week. The restaurant was cold and almost empty when we got there. The waiter was very prompt about giving us menus and taking our drinks orders. The lunch menu is small, but that's not always a bad thing. For starters we had soup, which was OK. The heating came on as our soup was served. For main course we both went for burgers, which were OK. Considering that the place was still almost empty, the food service wasn't especially quick or attentive. No one came to clear our table after the main course. Even though there were plenty of staff about, it was hard to attract their attention. We had to ask for coffee.

This restaurant is a really strange proposition. It has a beautiful location with a fantastic view and yet it's selling average, unremarkable food at low prices, and the waitering can be fast and helpful or slow and evasive. I can't understand why they don't offer something interesting and maybe charge a bit more. They're never going to rival the Ramore Wine Bar with this offering. In fact, if it wasn't for the remarkable view, I wouldn't even consider it.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

just stopped here for a snack whilst on short break on North coast and was impressed. Good location with plenty of outside space to take in the fresh air, friendly staff and well priced varied menu. have promised myself a return trip for more substantial grub - evening menu looks inviting