“Wood fired !!”
Review of The Harbour Bistro

The Harbour Bistro
Ranked #10 of 63 Restaurants in Portrush
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ballyclare
“Wood fired !!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited the Harbour Bistro on a busy Saturday evening, we got there about 6 pm, put our name down for an hour wait.
We stayed in the Harbour bar and enjoyed a few drinks whilst we waited, this warmed us up for our night ahead !!
It was meat dishes all round for everyone, lamb various ways, T-bone steaks and a fillet steak, they were all reported to be excellent. The new addition wood fired grill is a big hit, can get difficult to book as you would expect.
This was our 4th - 5th visit and again we were not disappointed, good food, good wine selection, good atmosphere and all for a reasonable price.

• Visited February 2013

• Hungarian first
American in Ireland
“£54 worth of awful”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'd heard good things about this restaurant and went there with my wife for our anniversary. We were the last table in that Thursday night. The waitress didn't even say hello, she handed the menus to us at the bar and her next words were "What do you want?" We'd never been there before and said we had to read the menu before we could order. We both ordered steak and I had champ, my wife picked rosemary garlic parmesan fries, with a caesar salad to share. Everything had to be ordered and paid for in advance at the bar, which is apparently their normal way of doing things. The bartender pointed out a table and we sat down. When our food came, my steak and champ were ok. I'd picked pepper sauce from the disappointing selection of sauces and it was predictable. instead of being medium rare, my wife's rump steak was raw at one end and her barbecue sauce was stone cold. Her fries were plain, except for an oily lump of parmesan and rosemary in the center. The waitress dropped off the food and disappeared, she didn't take the dirty glasses or come back and ask if everything was okay. We finally flagged someone and stated the problem (raw steak, ice cold sauce) and the waitress had the brass neck to say that barbecue sauce is served cold. My American wife explained that this is incorrect, freshly prepared barbecue sauce from the stovetop is served hot, only a refrigerated bottled sauce is served cold. The steak was sent back to the grill and the sauce heated, which was good, but we weren't pleased at having to send it back. The caesar salad was merely a stack of whole rinsed romaine leaves, with bottled caesar dressing, some flavorless parmesan and overcooked bacon. My wife attempted to order another drink while she waited for her food and the waitress said that she couldn't take a drink order, my wife would have to go to the bar. We ordered the belgian waffle and the chocolate brownie for dessert from the bar, and paid in advance. The waitress told us to get our own spoons from the counter and said we'd need to wait ten minutes for the waffle. We asked that both desserts be brought together. When the waffle arrived, the brownie didn't, and once again the waitress disappeared without taking a dirty glass or dish or asking if we needed anything. Another trip to the bar and ten minute wait finally delivered a burned brownie. We'd already paid for it and were tired of the hassle, so left without complaining about that. The system of having wait staff only carry out hot food and not take orders or provide customer service is in keeping with a McDonald's establishment, not an upscale bistro. It certainly spoiled our evening. The food was disappointing and poor value, but the poor service ruined the night. I have travelled all over the world and this restaurant has the worst service I have ever experienced.

• Visited January 2013
8 Thank lovemybigfamily
Coleraine
“Not the SORT of person they want!!!!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I'm so annoyed I just had to write this review - the Harbour is happy to take my money on a normal Saturday night with friends, if I'm out for my birthday or works do but the minute I ring to book a table to celebrate my sisters wedding I'm branded as not the sort of person they want in their establishment. As a family we have always went to the Harbour for a meal and drinks and loved it and I would love to know now how they can brand me, my friends and family as certain type of people who are not welcome through their door !! Will NOT be gracing their doors with my presence or my money in the future.

• Visited February 2013
5 Thank B D
Londonderry Northern ireland
“Great Saturday night meal”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Food is brilliant and nice and warm. Even though it was a busy Saturday night we were seated within 30 monutes. Food is quick to be served considering the number of people in the restaurant. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Visited January 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Consistently superb!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Harbour is part of a complex which houses the Ramore Wine bar, the Bistro, the Harbour bar, Coast Italian, and the Oriental.
THe identities are distinctly individual and the location, right on the harbourfront in Portrush , is excellent.
Food in any of these eateries is out of this world, and they're literally queued from around 12 o'clock opening until 10 at night. Only the Oriental is pre- bookable.
Don't be pui off by its title if you don't like Chinese food. The menu here if fusion, and beautifully done.
I've been going for 25 years and watched as they've expanded year after year, and marvelled at how hight they've kept their standards so high!
Steaks to die for and seafood that would be swimming if it was any fresher!
Whether you're a foodie (like me) or an aspiring restauranteur, you should go here and see how it's done!

Visited January 2013