“Experience true Ireland!”
Review of Ballyeamon Barn

Ballyeamon Barn
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I'm not Irish. I'm a Jewish/German American. But I'd always longed to visit Ireland and get exposure to the longstanding Irish tradition of storytelling. So when I got the opportunity to stay at the Ballyeamon Camping Barn and shadow storyteller Liz Weir, I jumped at the chance. I was there for seven weeks and helped run this amazing hostel, and any time I meet someone who's thinking about visiting Ireland, I tell them they must go here.

Here's why:
-Simple but clean and nice accommodations (with recent renovations)
-Access to a full kitchen to make your own food
-Gorgeous views in every direction
-30 seconds from major hiking trails
-6 miles from the charming small town of Cushendall (and the fantastic pub Joe's (http://www.mccollamsba...)
-Not far (by bus) from the Rope Bridge and the Giant's Causeway (both free and amazing attractions)
-Opportunity to interact with a variety of amazing storytellers, musicians, and other travelers

Staying at the barn, I met people from England, Israel, Egypt, the US, Eastern Europe, Germany, etc. Some days it was quiet, some days we were a small troop of cooking and playing music and telling stories.

I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: One big open room, with a curtain dividing sections for men and women.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Stunning is too trite a word to describe the delight that will greet you at the Ballyeamon Barn! It's more like a magical place, close to civilization yet far enough away to give you the feeling of seclusion so you can enjoy the wonder of the area. The hostel itself has every accommodation possible, but the real treat is Liz Weir, the storytelling owner and her staff. Every weekend everyone from round about as well as the travelers are welcome to her storytelling evening. What a great way to meet up with the locals and to share a story from your part of the world. AWESOME gets closer to my feelings about the Barn!

Room Tip: Nature provides the pool and fitness center...it is a hostel so any bed is great...she also has a sp...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy O
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this hostel and it really is a great place. The kitchen has everything you need to cook. Both the dorm and private apartment rooms are great and fairly priced. The surroundings are stunning, really beautiful. If you’re there on a night when there is storytelling and music (Saturday I think), then there is a great atmosphere. Liz is very knowledgeable on the area. The town of Cushendall is also lovely. One of the best hostels I’ve ever stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Set in a fantastic location, this barn is owned by a professional story teller who tells the yarns of years gone by. A very friendly and welcoming person, liz will make you feel like a long lost relative who's come to visit. I would highly recommend this spot

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed October 12, 2011

The Ballyeamon Barn was probably the most serene and comfortable hostels we stayed in on our 2 week journey. The barn is located about 5 miles from town in the middle of the forest and is simply stunning!

The owner, Liz, and her barnminder were so incredibly welcoming and accommodating from the emails we sent back and forth before our trip to the hospitality we received during our stay. The kitchen, bathrooms, sleeping areas were clean and comfortable and although we were a ways from town we felt safe with the two German Shepards who watched over us :)

Great place, great owner. A must-see at a great price in Cushendall.

PS: There isn't much night life in town past 10 PM so get there early and enjoy the characters you meet :)

Room Tip: If you are in a small group of 3-5 people ask if you can stay in the apartment above the barn :)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Driving up to the barn, we were awestruck by the immense beauty that surrounded us. Liz was so accommodating and made us feel right at home. The highlight for sure was the storytelling and music night with many of the locals. It is a night that will always stay with me and will never be able to be recreated. Don't miss it!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank enchantedwitheurope
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I felt free at Liz's place. Again a place in Ireland I'd like to return to one day :)
I had the most wonderful view from out my bed in the bedroom! The night I stayed there, it was very quiet but I could imagine when there's 14 people staying over, it might get (too) crowded and busy in the house.

Woke up this morning and found the world on my doorstep
- Loesje [--]