“Cheap, No frills.”

Chimney Corner Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newtownabbey
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Don't expect anything from this place. It may be cheap but that means no frills.
On the edge of an industrial area used mainly by contractors and reps. I would not suggest this place for anything else other than a stop over and that's pushing it.
Plenty of free parking. Check in was ok. Room was dark, dated and needed a good clean.
Carpet had so much ground in dirt you could have grown plants in it.
I decided to have a shower but no hot water. Complained and was told that alot of people had checked in at 4pm that i would have to run the water for 30mins. It took 25. The curtain had to be pulled with both hands. No curtain on bathroom window which looked out into car park as I was at ground level.
The bar and restaurant was next door door to the hotel which meant you had to go outside. The bar was small. It must of had about 50 blokes in it, all contractors, so if you are female, I would suggest else where as this is the type of place, well! you know what I mean.
Did have some food though. Not great and service was as expected for a cheap establishment.
Woke at 05:45. Waited for 20 mins for shower to get hot water. No hot water and Did not have time so forgot about it.
20 mins from Int airport. just off M2 motorway and close to Mallusk Industrial area.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Gary P

Reviewed December 3, 2007

Was a bit reluctant to book here after seeing some over-the-top negative reviews on this site but because of it's proximity to Belfast International Airport decided to give it a whirl.

Found the staff very helpful, the room was a little basic (but no where near the worst I've stayed in Belfast) but very clean and actually better than what I expected. I travel quite a bit and think the hotel would be probably be a 3 star in a lot of the territories I've visted recently.

Overall had a very pleasant stay, found the facilities and the location very useful and would recommend to anyone who isn't always expecting the Ritz.

1  Thank maltesemick
Reviewed November 30, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for three nights and found it more than satisfactory in every way. I was visiting Belfast on business and its location was ideal being placed close to the Airport and the City.
The staff were particularly helpful providing useful advice on what to do and where to go to get a wider view and knowledge of Northern Ireland.
The Rafters Restaurant was very good and offered plenty of variety at very reasonable prices.
All in all a very good place to stay if you are visiting Belfast on business or pleasure

2  Thank brft
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying at the Chimney Corner Hotel on a recent business trip to Belfast. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend this delightful hotel to anyone traveling on a budget.
Barbara Ann Brady, New York City

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank financialgal
Reviewed November 29, 2007

stayed the the chimney corner hotel, thought it was great value for money, staff were helpful as we arrived at 4am the night porter was very helpful to assist me and my husband, rooms were basic but clean, the food was arverage, overall had a good stay.

• Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank pop305
Reviewed November 25, 2007

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY, PLEASE DO NOT EVEN CONTEMPLATE STAYING AT THE CHIMNEY CORNER. Nice helpful staff when enquiring on telephone- but arrive and this seems to be not relative to the phone experience. Thursday night we arrived, noise of banging doors and loud guests started at 10-30pm and continued after the nightclub finished, noise finally stopped at 3-30am and then started again at 5-30am, persistent banging of doors and loud people. Staff then blamed the night shift staff for all this noise!!!!!!!!!! Booked in for three nights, stayed one, when complained we was offered the bridal suite at no extra cost- BUT- said the Managaress (this is the only place where she would ever be employed in any managerial capacity) you do have the main road just outside!!! 100 yards across that is the Motorway!!!!!!! Checked out, then she decided to stay we would not get a cash refund, although they demanded cash and gave no receipt!!! She said we would have to accept a cheque- she then asked a customer who she knew well to watch her back as I complained and refused to accept a refund of anything less than raw cash. She then told her friend as we walked away "They are not getting cash back, I dont care", I then sprinted into the bar and challenged her to which the customer was behind the bar with her and made her excuses, intimating that I was hard of hearing. When we finally was given a cash refund the poor excuse given by her was- I had to take this from my own purse!!" What a load of tosh the whole experience there was. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME EVEN CONTEMPLATING STAYING AT THE CHIMNEY CORNER.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mr-G-1966
Reviewed November 25, 2007

I would like to warn potential guests about staying at this hotel. Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for what was supposed to be a romantic weekend, we lasted all but one night, then left. The rooms are very basic, but the worst about it was the noise, we did not sleep on our 1 night there because of doors banging and other guests making noise in adjacent rooms, we could even hear them using the loo in their bathrooms. We complained the following morning and were moved to a different room, this room was worse than the one we had previously (bed was horrendously uncomfortable) and the noise level was the same as previously. Once again we complained and asked for a full refund, we spoke to the manageress, whom contradicted herself on a few occassions and did not seem to know how to manage her supposedly managerial position. Having paid £120 upfront, this being the policy of the hotel, after quite a bit of hassle we were finally refunded £80. We left the hotel to stay elsewhere. We were both absolutely disgusted by this so called hotel and by the attitudes of their staff. Our weekend was ruined to say the least. I cannot state in words how horrendous this place is, I would most certainly advise against making a reservation here, the local zoo would show more home comforts and friendly attention towards their guests.

5  Thank Clare218
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtownabbey
Corrs Corner Hotel
Ten Square
#7 of 45 in Belfast
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally

Been to Chimney Corner Hotel? Share your experiences!