“Depressing Belfast Zoo”
Review of Belfast Zoo

Belfast Zoo
More attraction details
Owner description: Belfast Zoo is located in north Belfast. The zoo's 55 acre site is home to more than 1,000 animals and 150 species. The majority of our animals are in danger in their natural habitat. The zoo also carries out important conservation work and takes part in European and international breeding programmes which help to ensure the survival of many species under threat. Belfast Zoo is one of the top fee-paying visitor attraction in Northern Ireland, receiving more than 300,000 visitors a year.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This has got to be the most depressing zoo I have ever visited, even the animals were depressed looking. However if you fancy a decent hill walk belfast zoo is the place to get this.

5  Thank michelle2911
"animals seem"
"beautiful animals"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Spent three hours here in the poring rain before catching a flight home. Loved every minute of it. Great value entrance fee and also the café had reasonably priced food and drinks. Gift shop was great, had just enough items to meet everyone's needs and very good value.

The animals have good size areas and they all looked happy and healthy, Especially the sea lions who amused me during feeding time.

The zoo is on a steep hill so be wary of this before you go if you have movement issues.

I wish we could've stayed longer as there were some animals we had to leave until next time!!

The gentleman at the front desk was very helpful and friendly.

2  Thank VoucherVera
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My most recent visit to Belfast Zoo was by far the best! It is brilliantly laid out and could easily fill an entire day, the attractions are great and you can see all the animals. Well worth a visit, preferably on a good day though!

3  Thank Kirsty C
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I visited this zoo for the first time and did not know what to expect. I was approaching the zoo from the south and there were signs on the motorway directing me to the zoo but as I got onto the minor roads there were no signs which I found a small problem.
The admission price was very reasonable, £8 for adults and £4 for students! I was provided with a map which made it very easy to follow the various different trails in the zoo. There was a good amount of animal species to see. I was abit disappointed with the cheetah enclosure as the cheetahs often sit under a hedge and from the viewing area they were impossible to see. The red pandas were a potential highlight for me but when I got there I could only see one red panda and it was very high in a tree so it was difficult to view. Also there were very few reptiles to see as the reptile house was small and not easy to identify. I was impressed the two species of bears there were to view as alot of zoos I visited did not have any bears. I visited on a typical winter day so I would like to visit again on a more pleasant day.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were in Ireland for a wedding and we had a whole day to find something to do as our flight home wasn't till that evening. We decided to go to Belfast Zoo as I am crazy about animals! It was very quiet due to time of year and the wet weather! They had a vast mixture of animals. I have never seen such a large group of giraffes. Many elephants, monkeys etc.etc.
The views overlooking Belfast are amazing. WARNING! The Zoo should be renamed 'The mountain Zoo. It is quite hilly!! The only reason it didn't get a full score.