“New Years Eve.”
Review of Oregano - CLOSED

Oregano
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bangor, United Kingdom
“New Years Eve.”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My Wife and I celebrated New Year's Eve with my two brothers and their wives at Oregano. This was the second time that we went to this restaurant for New Year's Eve.

It worked out at about £70 a head which was pricey but for New Years Eve - probably very good value!

The Food and Drink were a set menu.
The food was all Excellent and presentation was first rate, This was Fine Dining

The Starter was - Goat, a rare offering and I actually liked it!
The next course was a Smoked Salmon offering - Yum yum
Then followed a Pina Colada Sorbet
The Main course was Fillet of Beef with Beef cheek with a Pea Pure etc. Very high quality and presentation was excellent.
The dessert was a rich chocolate slice - rich is probably an understatement here.

There were 2 excellent white wines , a good red wine and a fabulous dessert wine.

The only fault was that a few (more) Carbohydrates would have been welcome, but I couldn’t fault anything that was presented, every plate was cleared

We now plan to return to have a normal meal at Oregano

• Visited December 2013

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Our favourite restaurant”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

What we like best is the consistently high standard of excellent quality, taste and presentation of food here. Good service and selection of wine. We have been there 9 or 10 times this year and each time we know for certain we will not be disappointed.

Visited November 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good choice in Ballyclare area”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten in this restaurant a number of times. Food is usually good and inspired and pricing is reasonable. Staff are attentive and regularly check if anything is required.
The decor is perhaps a little minimalist and could benefit from a " livening up" but this is just a personal view. A draught beer tap would be welcome too in the small bar area with a locally brewed Real Ale.

Visited December 2013
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,223 helpful votes
“Very satisfying”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

If you’re driving there, be aware there are TWO entrances. The big purple sign is inbetween them. If you see the sign, while flying past one entrance, just take the next one.

I had the confit of duck linguini with panchetta, spinach and girolle mushrooms starter. A regular-joe translation might be “duck meat with thin stringy pasta and a brown sauce with the consistency of gravy”. It was excellent. My main course was the pan fried fillet of cod with crispy crab cake, romanesco and shellfish cream. Very good. Romanesco are a very pretty-looking spiral hybrid of cauliflower and broccoli. I chose a fish dish because I didn’t want a heavy meal. My dessert of choice was the chocolate fondant with vanilla ice cream and orange and nutmeg salsa. Guess what? It was great. Photos show my meal.

Other reviewers claim they left hungry. I find that hard to believe. My meal was so good I needed no meal at all that night. Two people in my party had steak – it looked close to an inch thick! All the four meals were extremely satisfying.

Their waiting area was very nice, comfortable armchairs, tables, spacious, a bar, newspapers. I liked the building, it’s obviously a converted country house, with some stained glass windows and a grand doorway.

• Visited November 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We had been told Oregano could be hit or miss - was a definite miss for us.”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Portions very small; service not attentive; the plus side was that after I'd sent my steak back twice asking for med/well done and it was still rare, they didn't charge me for not eating it.

• Visited November 2013