“Consistently great!”

The Khayber
Ranked #12 of 97 Restaurants in Newtownabbey
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Consistently great!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I've tried quite a few indian restaurants in Belfast and beyond but I still think this is the best. The naan breads are just amazing, staff always friendly and good with kids, prices pretty reasonable too. Can't ask for more. Portions pretty large I think so would not usually do a starter!

• Visited July 2012

“Friendly but average.”
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Food ok. Service needs to be improved, staff could do with more training. Good atmosphere and busy when we where there.

2 Thank Iwizard
Belfast
“Not as good as it used to be...”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I used to love this restaurant and ate there several times a year - it was also my favourite takeaway, and although the Indian Ocean opened just metres away, I always still preferred the Khayber. But in the last 8 months, I've been there twice for a takeaway and both times the food has been terrible. I don't know what's changed but I had a takeaway from there about 6 months ago and spent the entire night vomiting, most likely food poisoning but I couldn't be sure so after I had got over my 'fear' I went back for another takeaway about 3 months later. I ordered Chicken Tikka Masala with chips and rice. Both my partner and I got it home to find that they had given us Chicken Korma with a bit of red food colouring thrown in it to make us think that it was a Tikka. It was a vile pinky/orange colour with no veg in it - I order the Korma from there all the time so I know exactly what they'd given me. Also, the chips had been refried I don't know how many times because they were tough and had a putrid flavour. I know this because I've worked in the fast food industry for years. We ended up forcing it down anyway as we were both starving and too exhausted to go back, complain and wait for a new batch. Big mistake. Both myself and my partner instantly felt unwell and although we didn't vomit, we both had terrible headaches for the rest of the night and next day. We definitely will NOT be back. What a shame.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Vanessa M
Belfast
“Best Indian in Belfast”
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten in the best indian restaurants in the North but after my visit on Monday have to vote this the best in the country. It's cheap, staff are great and most importantly the food is excellent, never mind Bengal or Jahara get out to the Kyber

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Good Indian Food.”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

It has been a long time since I last had an Indian meal due to a bad experience so when hubby decided it was time to give it another go I was nervous. We went straight after work and so had the place to ourselves for most of the meal. The servers were attentive and friendly and I love the decor of The Khayber. Poppadoms and chutneys were set on the table while we perused the menu which includes every possible classic Indian meal. We shared a mixed vegetable starter which was just enough to whet the appetite. Onto the main. Hubby had Chicken Tikka Rogan Josh and I decided on Chicken Tikka Shashlik with a curry sauce. Portion sizes are generous and the flavours are accomplished. Couldn't find fault. A thoroughly satisfying meal!

• Visited April 2012