“Nice drive, but..”

and up
Private Tour: 'Game of Thrones' and Giant’s Causeway Full-Day Tour from Belfast
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Bushmills
More attraction details
Owner description: The Causeway Coastal Route is a designated scenic tourist drive around the coast of Northern Ireland between the cities of Belfast and Londonderry. The route follows the coast and takes you to several major tourist attractions along the way including The Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, Dunluce Castle, The Old Bushmills Whiskey Distillery and the Glens of Antrim. There are also nine scenic loop roads that run off the main Coastal Route. These are: Islandmagee, Slemish Mountain, Glenariff, Glendun, Torr Road, Glenshesk, Bann Valley, Binevenagh Mountain and the Roe Vally. One of these (Torr Scenic Road)is quite narrow so do be careful if your not used to our small roads, one tip is to pull in your wing mirrors on the Torr Road.
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We followed the recommended drive from the Black Arch to the Red Arch, while it was a nice drive in hindsight we should have taken the motorway from Carrickfergus to the Giant's Causeway, then had our coastal drive on the Dingle Pennisula.

1  Thank JBR3

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We travelled the Causeway Coastal Route in September, there is something amazing to see around every bend!!

1  Thank Dacks3112
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The drive from Belfast to Portrush was gorgeous despite the unrelenting rain. What a spectacular trip that would be in brilliant sunshine!

1  Thank MisterBuster
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you ignore just one or two little areas where prettiness gives way to commerce and industry (and it really is only very occasional), this has to be one of the most scenic drives anywhere. There are miles and miles where the road runs right along the waterfront, with rolling Irish hills on the one side and views across the crystal clear waters of the Irish Sea to the coast of Scotland on the other.

As you head further north, the landscape changes, and by the time you reach the Giant's Causeway, the coastline has that rugged feel of much of Cornwall. Except I've never seen cows grazing on the beach in Cornwall.

If you have the time to do so, I can't recommend this drive highly enough.

1  Thank CSBristol
Reviewed October 8, 2012

One of the highlights of my recent visit to Ireland. First drove along the coast road many years ago and knew it was special but have begun to appreciate it more over the intervening years. This year, it was one of my destinations and I chose to take my time and chose Ballymoney and Cushendun as places to stay overnight. Loved the whole trip. Last time it was Port Rush that really appealed to me but less so this time. It was the wonderful scenery this time. Called in to Dunluce Castle, Carrick-a-Rede, Giant's Causeway but it is the actual drive that I love. Made my way to Belfast and for a long time had been following the many signposts for the Coastal Route so laughed when the last one says Coastal Route and has a line through it to denote the end. I was also a little sad too. Definitely want to do this drive again and perhaps next time spend even more nights in B&Bs along the way. Have written reviews for the 2 B&Bs I used and would go back to each of them again. Something best done slowly and stopping whenever it is safe and just soaking up the surroundings. Sigh. Wish I was back there now.

1  Thank Margaret B