“Very well organised”

$103.36*
and up
Luxury Giant's Causeway and Northern Ireland Day Tour From Dublin
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

A very well run centre. We took a tour with a guide, which is part of the entry price and includes a map and a earpiece and radio so you could hear the guide clearly. He talked us down all the way giving us information and humour. At the bottom we were left to wander as we chose. When we were ready, after lots of photos, we caught the bus back up, this was definately worth the fare of £1 each. We then had a very nice cup of coffee in the cafe, which was not too overpriced and very welcome followed by a brouse in the gift shop. All in all a very plesent day. If you are a member of the national trust it is free that includes the bus ride but remember to bring your card.

1  Thank Jan T
There are newer reviews for Giant's Causeway Visitor Centre

Reviewed May 8, 2013

OK ... first and foremost, the Causeway itself is everything it is hyped to be and more.We visited again today (May, '13) for the 23rd time and it is still one of the most strikingly beautiful, interesting, picturesque, sites in all of Europe and is a definite 'must-see' if you are anywhere in the northern part of Ireland. So, we are not rookies here and have the following advice: Let it be known right from the beginning of this review that you can visit the Giant's Causeway, one of just three UNESCO World Heritage sites in Ireland, at NO CHARGE. To do so, you must find alternate parking from the seemingly only parking at the new visitor's center. You can park: in the Causeway Hotel lot near the visitor's center (have a cup of tea/lunch/etc in the hotel so you are a patron), or below the center at the railroad parking lot for six pounds or farther afield on roadsides or even in some area resident's places ... then walk up over the hill and if you wish, either 1. walk down to, then up from, the main causeway area at no charge ... or take the bus down to the causeway (one pound one way or two pounds return). There ARE free bathroom facilities in the outside area of the new visitor's center. If you are looking for food, the hotel or the Nook are alternatives to the visitor's center. Now, all of that said, the visitor's center (brand new, opening in July 2012) offers clean toilets, semi-decent gift shop (1/3 the space of the building), pretty good restaurant (1/3) and attractions explanations, diorama, video, etc. (1/3), decent audio guides, and excellent periodic guided tours, for eight pounds-50 .. or approx $13 ... adult (less for children, seniors, students or early on-line purchase; family rate available). The 8 pounds-50 does NOT include the bus fare to and from the Causeway, so if you can't do the walk, especially back up (a hike and challenge for physically impaired or stout folks), be aware that the fare is over and above the entrance fee. There are attentive, caring staff available for directions, assistance, information, tours, etc. .. especially if you are a paying customer. If not, then heed the suggestions above, because alternative parking, walk through to the Causeway directions, alternative eating info. etc is readily NOT available. I waited to post a review of the entire Causeway experience until having gone through the new facility three times, wanting to get an objective view. We run a tour business in Ireland, Wales, England, Scotland, Croatia and New Zealand ... and I can honestly recommend the natural Giant's Causeway experience with a 5-star-plus rating. Comparing other World Heritage and high profile sites, especially for pricing, I'd have to stretch to give give the visitor's center maybe three stars ... deducting mainly for what I would consider less than honest approach to access. Their response to negative reviews include: 'we have placed information signs' (I stood in the parking lot today and found only signs directing people to the front entrance of the visitor's center), 'staff has been directed to inform patrons of alternatives' (I was told when arriving that I could park in the open spots and that my ticket would be checked upon return -- that I had paid -- but no mention of alternatives), and 'no staff would turn away patrons from just walking down to the Causeway' (when we approached the tunnel to pass through to the bus, bypassing the visitor's center, we were directed, firmly, to the front door). To sum up: Giant's Causeway, yes, by all means ... the National Trust visitor's Center, ummm, not so much.

5  Thank Irishwriter1916
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have visited the Giants Causeway many, many times in the past as I am from the States but have lived in the Rep. of Ireland for 20 years. We have always brought our visitors from the States to the Antrim coast and especially enjoyed our walk down to the stones. However, it only cost us £5 for the parking and whatever we chose to buy or eat in the restaurant. This trip we had 4 visitors and 2 vehicles and instead of £10 for the parking, we were sent inside to pay £51. That is an outrageous increase especially when there is not even a senior discount offered. While I appreciate that money is needed for upkeep, you seem to have done a good enough job for the previous 50 years. While I will miss seeing the stones, I believe that will be our last trip to the Giants Causeway. Whatever happened to "if it's not broke, why try to fix it"? I wish I had read other reviews before we visited.

3  Thank Kathleen B
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is what quality architecture is about, stylish, detailed and functional, beautifully designed and built and it works both in its setting and as a building.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Must visit at least once.
Not so kid friendly.
Have to make sure the weather is nice for pictures.
Bring water lots of walking.
Gorgeous views.