“We love the Bushmills Inn”

The Bushmills Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bushmills
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 9, 2007

We always like the Bushmills Inn – particularly in winter – it’s so cosy and much better value. However this year we had to settle for a budget rooms in the Coaching Inn as the Mill House rooms were fully booked. We were warned by reception not to expect too much – small, bath or shower, overlooking the street but we took the risk, after all there are so many fires, and quiet nooks and crannies in which to hide that there is little point in spending much time in the room. We were actually quite surprised, the coaching inn rooms are clean and tidy with a tiny bathroom – could do with more light in the bathroom - and really much better than we were led to believe when we made the reservation.

The hotel was it’s usual self and the staff as nice as ever. After a long walk at the Causeway we warmed ourselves with a hot whiskey in front of a fire in what we believe was the kitchen of the original hotel. For dinner we were in the far end of the restaurant, normally we are in a snug. We probably prefer a snug but we were on the raised section over the wine cellar and it was actually quiet nice for a change watching all the comings and going.

We will be back, hopefully again and again. It is super for a quiet relaxing break but we will book a bit earlier next time and pay the extra for the bigger room.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VictoriaVillage
There are newer reviews for The Bushmills Inn Hotel

Reviewed January 14, 2007

We decided to extend a trip to see friends with a night on the coast and I found Bushmills Inn through random searching on the internet.
It is an unimpressive building on first approach, due to its location and the inevitably dire weather (it was raining, of course) but the main entrance at the back is in a quaint yard, and they light fires throughout and create subtle, atmospheric lighting. I thought the Bushmills was a wee haven of comfort and tranquility. It is kind of old-fashioned, and is certainly not in the 'boutique hotel' category in my opinion. It really is a nice little Irish inn. We stayed in a slightly newer part, where I thought the deccor was a bit tired, and I really think that it was a bit overpriced for the standard of room offered. I do travel a lot and have the experience of a lot of hotels, from big chains to small b&bs so I do have a specific level of expectation. I think you can forgive a place a lot if the staff and service is good and I thought the staff at Bushmills were great. The woman on front desk seemed a bit stressed when we arrived but didnt let it inhibit her polite welcome. The waiters in the restaurant were lovely, smiling, service-oriented. The food was really nice - not fantastic, as reviews had made me believe, but good all the same. The couple next to us were not happy with their steaks and the apologetic waiter instantly waived their bill. It took the wind right out of their sails and they left confirming they would come back to try it again soon.
A highlight of the Bushmills Inn is its lovely olde-world charm. The higgeldy piggeldy nature of the layout of the corridors, and the lovely old bar. It does not feel contrived, or manufactured exclusively for the indulgence of visiting American tourists! Most people, I think, would enjoy a visit here. I'd say, spend less time in your room and more time in the bar. After all, you are staying at an inn within stone's throw of one of the oldest distilleries in the world, so it would make sense. Northern Ireland has more than its fair share of 1960s horrors and too few properties that provide character, service and comfort. I'd recommend this place on character alone.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank S_G.UK
Reviewed January 11, 2007

When we travel we balance our budget by looking for inexpensive stays mixed with a few splurges. Bushmills was to be one of our splurges but when my wife and I rated 20 recent stays it finished dead last on both of our lists.

We checked in early before a distillery tour and were met with a very lukewarm welcome and shown to a very mediocre Millhouse room overlooking the parking lot. When we returned I walked to the bar for a bucket of ice which was no problem except for the charge of 3 GBP. There were two internet terminals available for guest use, both occupied by teenage gamers who we eventually had to intimidate so we could check our emails.

We heard the restaurant was a big deal and were surprised when we could get a same day reservation for 7:30. Our dinner was not exceptional but not bad, and less expensive than we were expecting. We popped into the bar afterwards to have a little bump by the peat fire. No one was working behind the bar and after about 10 minutes we had to go to the dining room to find a server to come and get us a drink. Even though there were other people in the bar we never saw another employee in the half hour we were there. We gave up and left.

At breakfast the next morning our server handed us our menus and asked what we would like. We each ordered coffee and said we would look at the menu. He said he would get our drink order with the food order and promptly left for 15 minutes. No coffee. And, finally at checkout I needed a few pounds for parking at Giants's Causeway and handed the clerk 10 euros, expecting to get 6 pounds back which would have been a very favorable exchange rate for the house. She gave me 4 pounds 50 explaining that there was a 1 pound 50 service charge.

After spending our lives in the hospitality business we know that a business this poorly run is not only a reflection on management but also shows clueless ownership. They need to get a professional GM in place now who has the authority get that place shaped up. Until then, don't go.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank John_Z_MN
Reviewed November 28, 2006

Stayed in the budget coach inn part of the hotel where the rooms were comfortabile and amble size, nothing too special but at reasonable price, the food however was outstanding - I'm disappointed that I ate every bit of my starter and maind
course that I had no room for the lovely sounding afters... expensive spot but well worth it, in a nice little town... took a drive and walked off our lovely breakfast at the giants causeway which is an impressive part of the Irish landscape. Would recommend a stay here - lovely and cosey in the winter...

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DeeObrien
Reviewed November 20, 2006

Stayed at Bushmills with French and New York friends in August 2006 for 2 days. Having spent several summers in Ireland and having great experiences this was our first trip to Northern Ireland. We had booked 2 rooms - one single and one twin. We were greeted by a very jaded hotel receptionist who showed us to our rooms with no welcome or enthusiasm.

The twin room was very old fashioned and seriously in need of up-dating. The single room was a disaster with torn curtains, TV which showed half colour, half black and white. Spiders in the bathtub and the outlook was ground floor - overlooking car park and rubbish dump. No other rooms were available, even though we booked several months in advance.

Well, we thought lets eat and forget about it. We had a drink at the bar - which was very cosy and nice - a great place, nice decor and very pub like typical " Irish style " bar. Staff not particularly nice, quite indifferent and not what one usually gets in Ireland.
The dinner was a disaster. The salmon was completely dry and the salad had no dressing, both my French and US friend sent their food back. We have never done this, but were told later by locals that the Hotel had changed ownership and that nobody locally eats there, as the food is terrible.

The Hotel has survived on its previous reputation which I'm sure was merited at a time when it was run properly. It has been created for the American tourist travelling to Ireland, particularly to play golf and I would say to you all .... there are fantastic places all over Ireland, but this is not one of them, so beware.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
9  Thank Anuchka
Reviewed August 27, 2006

we were exhausted after driving from dublin - but the cosy fire at 9:15 at night, the bustling restaurant, and later, the comfy beds made this Inn a wonderful, welcoming place. one of the highlights of our trip.

when i booked the hotel, i thought the price was euro's, not pounds - so it ended up being a bit more expensive than i had thought it would be. we still loved it and thought it a good value.

4  Thank MaryJoanS
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Staff were very polite and friendly, room was clean and comfortable but I would say a tad over priced, food of a good standard although again overpriced, good location for local attractions.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ff82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushmills
Bayview Hotel
#1 of 6 in Ballymena
Royal Court Hotel
Royal Court Hotel
#2 of 8 in Portrush

Been to The Bushmills Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!