“Nice hotel seriously let down by dinner”

The Bushmills Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bushmills
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed here one night in February with my wife as a base to explore the North Antrim Coast. Upon arrival everything was fine, check in was efficient and staff were friendly. We were offered an upgrade to the Mill House Deluxe for the reasonable sum of £10, which we accepted. The room was nice, comfortable and spacious and well equipped.

We wandered into the bar to order a snack/lunch and ordered from the menu entitled bar nibbles. Enjoying the fire and the Guinness, we were told that we had to move to the restaurant for the food. Slightly annoying as we were comfortable where we were and had ordered from the 'bar nibbles' menu. However we moved and ate our lunch, which was very tasty.

Upon returning from a tour of The Bushmills Distillery (short, but worth it), we walked around the hotel before settling in the bar for a few pre dinner drinks. We then went back to the room to freshen up for a dinner reservation at 7:30 that was booked the night before and confirmed upon arrival.

When we arrived down for dinner (circa 7:20), we were told that the table wasn't ready and we were showed to a seat beside reception. Menus were given to us and drinks orders taken. Forty minutes later at about 8:10 we were finally shown to our table. No apology for the wait or as much as a glass of water offered for the inconvenience.

Once seated we were presented with our starters immediately (as the order had been taken while we were sat outside), no bread was offered before the meal or settling in time. From the starter to the main course, the food was awful. It lacked imagination, but more importantly, it lacked any taste, either good or bad. My wife and I both tried each others food and it was the same, bland and insipid. I'm not one of these people who take pictures of food, it rather irritates me when people do that, however I had to on this occasion. The vegetables were swimming in grease (see attached pic), not sure if it was butter or oil, but either way, it did nothing to mask their awful taste. The meat while appearing to be cooked to the way I ordered it, was very salty, so much so, I couldn't taste the meat.

For desert we ordered a cheese plate. This has to be one of the easiest things to get right, any supermarket or corner shop sell a variety of cheeses that could pass for a decent cheese plate, unless your an aficionado. But again, we were let down. The waiter didn't tell us what cheeses were on the board, it was simply placed in front for us to decipher. This proved difficult, as again the food disappointed, we couldn't distinguish any discernible difference in taste between each of the cheese, even the blue cheese! It seemed that they were either not stored correctly or not stored at all. We had coffee and left for the bar.

We were very disappointed with our overall stay in the hotel. Despite the fact that everything else was fine and it should be, this place is not cheap to stay, the dinner was a big part of our stay and it left the bitterest of taste, which is more than can be said for the food.

10  Thank Gerry_Ryan
There are newer reviews for The Bushmills Inn Hotel

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just enjoyed a two night stay at this quaint old coaching inn. Character abounds, but mod cons make for a stress-free experience -wi-fi when you need it, staff who are there specifically to meet your needs, nothing too much trouble, delicious meals. Excellent location for accessing all the marvellous attractions of the beautiful North Antrim Coast. I have tried to find something negative to say about our stay, and I can't!! We will definitely return. The perfect North Coast Getaway. Thank you to ALL the staff who have made our stay enjoyable. A special mention for Brian, who came, saw and never wants to return to native Shrewsbury! Good choice Brian!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara I
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We recently stayed a couple of nights at the Bushmills Inn. Its rare when I write on TripAdvisor for me not to have found something that has bugged us, or we feel not right for the price.
However we found no faults with the Bushmills. We arrived and were met by charming reception staff who showed us to our room. And what a beautiful room. Large, with a four poster bed, and wonderful bathroom. The room was pristinely clean.
In the evening we had a drink in the bar then ate in the restaurant and had a nice meal.
Breakfast the next morning was superb.
There's not much else to say; all in all we had a marvellous visit to this hotel and we would thoroughly recommend it.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

OH MY WORD THIS IS GOOD! We stayed 2 nights. Beautiful character rooms, stunning lounge areas (the secret first floor corridor above the restaurant with open fires and libraries was so memorable) for residents, perfect food and drink in the restaurant (the pan fired steak was incredible), top service, great for couples and families alike, perfect location along the stunning Antrim coast and overall rather good value. Really could not fault it. . .

Room Tip: One with the red décor (the blue one our friends got looked less warm!)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank zigtravel
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We arrived on a cold rainy day to a warm welcome.. Lovely room, very comfortable.. The rain stopped and we walked 2 miles from the Inn to the Causeway.. Well worth doing if the weather is good.. We arrived back cold and hungry.. We showered and ate in the hotel restaurant.. Food was excellent. We both had the Ulster Sirloin.. Great place to stay for visiting the causeway and the distillery.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I booked a two night stay in the Bushmills Inn to coincide with my birthday. From the second we arrived we were impressed. The reception staff were extremely welcoming and showed us to our room. We stayed in Room 222 and it exceeded our expectations. The view from the floor length window was also great. We ventured down to the bar and had a couple of lovely drinks while watching Ireland win the rugby in the upstairs lounge. The thing that really struck me was the smell. It was a wonderful peaty open fire aroma, very Irish and so cosy.

We ate in the restaurant both nights and could not fault anything either of us had. We also had breakfast each morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. She service and staff were spot on with just the right amount of attention without being overbearing.

On the morning of my birthday I had booked a massage and facial with Paula, the Therapist. I have to say it was the best treatment I have ever had and she was so friendly that I came away with a big smile on my face.

We would absolutely recommend this hotel and will definitely return in the future.

1  Thank SJMYorkshire
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My partner and I stayed for one night in January 2014, the room was excellent, the staff were very friendly and attentive and the food was amazing. I would fully reccommend a stay here and a visit to the restaurant is a must!! I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushmills
Bayview Hotel
#1 of 6 in Ballymena
Royal Court Hotel
Royal Court Hotel
#2 of 8 in Portrush

Been to The Bushmills Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!