“Great historic site”

$27.58*
Giant's Causeway Day Tour from Belfast
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Bushmills
More attraction details
Owner description: Opened in 1608, this is the oldest licensed distillery in the world and exports its whiskey internationally.
Reviewed October 27, 2011

This is the oldest distillary in the world and well worth a visit

1  Thank greytravellerSydney
There are newer reviews for Bushmills Distillery

Reviewed October 19, 2011

We were disappointed not to be able to take the tour as it sounds very informative but requires walking quite a bit and many stairs. There is a good video to watch in the visitors center and the free hot toddy was much appreciated.

1  Thank nanamo39
Reviewed October 12, 2011

The distillery is VERY old and worth visiting but the tour is pretty much worthless. It cost about $15 and just wasn't good. We have had great distllery tours in Kentucky and Scotland. Stick to visiting the little museum and watching the video. Their Irish coffees were better than Jamison's in Dublin.

1  Thank evan7
Reviewed October 10, 2011

If you have a car, you must go to Northern Ireland to see the Giant's Causeway, Old Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, and Dunluce Castle. We were not sure about going to the Old Bushmills Distillery, but it made for a great lunch break. The tour was interesting, more interesting if you are into whiskey. You get a free tasting and they have a great cafeteria with cheap food. Whiskey with your lunch, who can complain. DO NOT MISS!

Reviewed October 7, 2011

As a tour coach driver on the Causeway Coastal Route I have been visiting these premises in Bushmills for about Twenty years and have been met with courtesy by the staff during the best part of those years. However, things have changed and that is no longer the case. Last year I started a facebook page for the company I work for and was taking various photographs along our route including some from outside and inside of the gift shop, whilst taking photographs I was accosted by a member of staff who confiscated my camera, when I objected he told me I should not be taking photographs. I pointed out that other people were taking photographs and none of them had been asked to hand over any of their cameras. I eventually (embarrassed) went to reception where when I complained to a female member of staff she went and retrieved my camera for me. When I returned home that evening I immediately went to the facebook site and deleted any images that had been taken in the area. I visited a few days later and was again approached by a member of supervisory staff who told me in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to take photographs to put on any facebook site. I have visited the premises many times since then and have seen many people taking photographs and none of them have ever been asked not to take pictures or what they intend to do with them let alone been asked to hand over any cameras. Had there been an issue with any of the pictures I posted on facebook it should have been taken up by the admin on their own site and if mine were abusive in any way facebook would have dealt with me on your behalf instead of one of the staff accosting me. Whilst I am sure their Facebook site is well maintained by a selected member of the staff it does not stop the use of any photographs used on the site being used by any member of the public It is after all a social networking site with no protection on the photographs posted there.
I visited the premises recently during strong winds and storms and as I led my passengers towards the gift shop I was followed by a member of staff yelling at the top of his voice at me to stop, I did so and walked towards him to find out what was wrong, he began yelling at me in front of my passengers that I should not have gone towards the shop as it was closed because of the strong winds (there were no barriers across the entrance and no member of staff in attendance to stop anyone going through).This was an embarrassing situation that could have been avoided by a small sign informing of the closure.
I returned the next day with another coach load of passengers but not being sure of what the situation was I sent my customers to the Gift Shop whilst I went to the visitor centre where I spoke to the lady at reception where I decided to hand in my loyalty card and inform Bushmills that I had no intention of returning to be treated the way I had been. The receptionist insisted on me explaining to the centre manageress which I did, I told her about the facebook thing and how those members of staff who may have appeared in any photos were on a Bushmills facebook site and that no others were asked to hand over equipment all she said was she was sorry I felt that way.
I know that tourism in Northern Ireland is on the up and many visitors want to see where the oldest licensed distillery is and it was always a pleasure on the part of the journey from the Giants Causeway to the distillery to tell of how Ireland earned this accolade, because of my treatment from staff I feel I can no longer tell this story with the enthusiasm it deserves or to promote the product to my customers, for those reasons I have handed in my loyalty card and will not be visiting or encouraging my customers to visit the distillery.
NB. I have noticed over the past few weeks a marked reduction in the amount of product being brought on to my bus which I have to admit pleases me as like all Good Customers, I vote with my feet.

I have spoken with other Tour Coach drivers to enquire if they had suffered anything similar and whilst none had their cameras confiscated each one said that they found the staff to be dry and officious and if there were any part of their companys tour that would be omitted it would be Bushmills Distillery.

10  Thank Fattam