“very interesting”

and up
Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge Day Trip from Dublin
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Bushmills
More attraction details
Owner description: Opened in 1608, this is the oldest licensed distillery in the world and exports its whiskey internationally.
Nevada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“very interesting”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We were disappointed not to be able to take the tour as it sounds very informative but requires walking quite a bit and many stairs. There is a good video to watch in the visitors center and the free hot toddy was much appreciated.

Visited October 2011

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Skip the tour”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

The distillery is VERY old and worth visiting but the tour is pretty much worthless. It cost about $15 and just wasn't good. We have had great distllery tours in Kentucky and Scotland. Stick to visiting the little museum and watching the video. Their Irish coffees were better than Jamison's in Dublin.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank evan7
Texas
205 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 219 helpful votes
“Interesting if you are into whiskey, who isn't!”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

If you have a car, you must go to Northern Ireland to see the Giant's Causeway, Old Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, and Dunluce Castle. We were not sure about going to the Old Bushmills Distillery, but it made for a great lunch break. The tour was interesting, more interesting if you are into whiskey. You get a free tasting and they have a great cafeteria with cheap food. Whiskey with your lunch, who can complain. DO NOT MISS!

Visited November 2010
Northern Ireland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Warning to tour coach drivers”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

As a tour coach driver on the Causeway Coastal Route I have been visiting these premises in Bushmills for about Twenty years and have been met with courtesy by the staff during the best part of those years. However, things have changed and that is no longer the case. Last year I started a facebook page for the company I work for and was taking various photographs along our route including some from outside and inside of the gift shop, whilst taking photographs I was accosted by a member of staff who confiscated my camera, when I objected he told me I should not be taking photographs. I pointed out that other people were taking photographs and none of them had been asked to hand over any of their cameras. I eventually (embarrassed) went to reception where when I complained to a female member of staff she went and retrieved my camera for me. When I returned home that evening I immediately went to the facebook site and deleted any images that had been taken in the area. I visited a few days later and was again approached by a member of supervisory staff who told me in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to take photographs to put on any facebook site. I have visited the premises many times since then and have seen many people taking photographs and none of them have ever been asked not to take pictures or what they intend to do with them let alone been asked to hand over any cameras. Had there been an issue with any of the pictures I posted on facebook it should have been taken up by the admin on their own site and if mine were abusive in any way facebook would have dealt with me on your behalf instead of one of the staff accosting me. Whilst I am sure their Facebook site is well maintained by a selected member of the staff it does not stop the use of any photographs used on the site being used by any member of the public It is after all a social networking site with no protection on the photographs posted there.
I visited the premises recently during strong winds and storms and as I led my passengers towards the gift shop I was followed by a member of staff yelling at the top of his voice at me to stop, I did so and walked towards him to find out what was wrong, he began yelling at me in front of my passengers that I should not have gone towards the shop as it was closed because of the strong winds (there were no barriers across the entrance and no member of staff in attendance to stop anyone going through).This was an embarrassing situation that could have been avoided by a small sign informing of the closure.
I returned the next day with another coach load of passengers but not being sure of what the situation was I sent my customers to the Gift Shop whilst I went to the visitor centre where I spoke to the lady at reception where I decided to hand in my loyalty card and inform Bushmills that I had no intention of returning to be treated the way I had been. The receptionist insisted on me explaining to the centre manageress which I did, I told her about the facebook thing and how those members of staff who may have appeared in any photos were on a Bushmills facebook site and that no others were asked to hand over equipment all she said was she was sorry I felt that way.
I know that tourism in Northern Ireland is on the up and many visitors want to see where the oldest licensed distillery is and it was always a pleasure on the part of the journey from the Giants Causeway to the distillery to tell of how Ireland earned this accolade, because of my treatment from staff I feel I can no longer tell this story with the enthusiasm it deserves or to promote the product to my customers, for those reasons I have handed in my loyalty card and will not be visiting or encouraging my customers to visit the distillery.
NB. I have noticed over the past few weeks a marked reduction in the amount of product being brought on to my bus which I have to admit pleases me as like all Good Customers, I vote with my feet.

I have spoken with other Tour Coach drivers to enquire if they had suffered anything similar and whilst none had their cameras confiscated each one said that they found the staff to be dry and officious and if there were any part of their companys tour that would be omitted it would be Bushmills Distillery.

Visited September 2011
10 Thank Fattam
Ireland
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A must visit tour when your on the North Coast.”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Visited the distillery with my father (a teetotaller) & 2 Canadian relatives, I havn't been here since I was a child 30 years ago.
This place is steeped in history, the tour is exceptional & very informative with so much information on the process of producing Bushmills Whiskey & the aromas from the Whiskey being produced was very pleasing.
Our tour guide was very good at her job & I would have no hesitation in recommending anyone to visit the distillery.

Visited September 2011