“Beware advance booking”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bushmills
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Beware advance booking”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We didn't actually stay here, as less than 24 hours before our check in the hotel rang and cancelled our booking and gave us the phone number of another local establishment.
Turned out to be a good move but that doesn't make up for the poor unapologetic customer service.

6 Thank Abi_Graz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Have always stood up for the Causeway Hotel and we have visited it many times over the years.
My Sister and family have always made a point of staying over when they are back home on holidays from Canada. There has always been a certain amount of competition with here and two other well known establishments in the area. We have stayed in all the properties and had a short overnight stay recently at the Causeway. I don't like the change to the bar area. It was always a cheery spot with locals dropping in for a half or two and generally the conversation was good. This half of the bar is now a bit like a second hand furniture store or auction room and I feel it has lost a lot of it's character. I maybe am going back to when Walter the barman was working there but he was very welcoming. I have read the rest of the reviews and they are fairly correct. The staff are excellent and very friendly. We previously ate all our meals in the main dining room which we liked. Tables were set out well with crisp covers and sparkling glasses and cutlery. The lighting was bright and everyone had plenty of room and privacy. For some reason we had to eat in what used to be part of the bar before. It was a small room again full of furniture and our small table was jammed in the corner. The seats were not suitable (as regards height) for eating off the table. I actually joked with my wife that the seats were like wheelchairs with the wheels removed. Not good at all. I assume there was something wrong that we were not able to use the main dining area. We were in it for breakfast - all good - nice staff again and good hot food and plates. Well done.!! If that dining area that we had to go to for dinner was "the norm" I'm afraid I could not give the hotel a great report. Hopefully this was a one off - not a good idea.

Room Tip: After climbing the stairs and beating through a number of fire doors and up and down small sets of s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mythosBangorUK
co down, northern ireland
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

So, I booked this through a living social wvoucher. Myself, my husband and teenage son. Son was an additional £15 B and B per night. Great value by any standard. Using the voucher with the hotel was uncomplicated. Jordan the receptionist was friendly, and extremely efficient; a rare combination I find in the so called service industry.

My only concern when booking the hotel was that there was a double bed rather than a king or queen sized bed. This in reality did take away from our enjoyment of the stay but I know this is due to be upgraded soon; the only other thing I could quibble about was that the wifi did not work, so for those with no 3G this was inconvenient. This was also being addressed by the hotel. That's the negatives out of the way now :-)

The hotel itself is in a great location right at the door of the giants causeway adjacent to the coastal path. Entry to visitors centre included in the deal. Our room was large (no 25), spacious, spotless, tasteful but simple with a door out to a little patio. Great for our dog. There was plenty of storage space, plenty of tea, coffee, biscuits etc. The bathroom was modern and clean. Whilst there was no separate shower there was a glass door in the bath and a powerful shower wch was very adequate. There was abundant hot water, towels, toiletries. The room was quiet with little noise from either inside or outside. I had requested a patio room as we had a dog with us and he could lie outside the door and be nearby. There was a goodsized tv on the wall. There are quite a few stairs to negotiate.

I found the decor of the newly refurbished hotel to be lovely. Very traditional and classic yet not dull in any way. It was warm and very cosy. There was a lovely bar area with easy chairs and a lovely informal eating area. Whilst the menu wasn't extensive it was more than adequate for a few nights at a very good price and the food quality was good. The bar was verrrry busy with diners. The service was slowish but I was in no rush anyhow (unlike the waiting staff who were very busy).

Breakfast was served in the larger more formal dining room. There was a good choice of cereal, fruit, pastries, muffins, ham, cheese etc and then an extensive hot choice menu to order from where we always did a bit of mixing and matching wch was never a problem. Food was all cooked fresh to order and arrived on a piping hot plate. There were a lot of fruit juices to choose from and a decent cup of coffee.

If uve read this review and ur now thinking this sounds like a grand place to stay, u would be right, but I've yet to mention the hotel's best and probably most important asset. Their staff. A friendly efficient happy bunch who all but bend over backwards to ensure ur every need is tended to. Chatty and smiling even when they probably don't have the time!

Would I return? Absolutely, once they replace the beds with a king size one and perhaps consider going down the dog friendly path and I would happily recommend the hotel to anyone looking a bright and breezy welcome to the north coast.

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank dianearmstrong
London
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I've just returned from a short walking break on the Causeway coast, where we stayed at this hotel. It was, simply, excellent. Comfortable, friendly, good food, the lot. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly without being overpoweringly in your face. There was even free wifi, a first for this sort of hotel in my experience.

And the final touch was that the breakfast was made to order, rather than from a buffet.

Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I have wrote reviews on many restaurants around this area. If u have seen my reviews u will know I'm fussy about good local produce and food. This hotel has to have some of the best homemade real Irish food. Went to sunday carvery in November needless to say we have been going every week since. Not just an ordinary carvery but by far the most creative appetising food about. So much care and presentation results in some delicious food. Main course consists of wide range of top quality meats. What I really love is all the little extras I don't get at normal carvers eg roasted candy apples, parsnip crisps, etc. veg to die for etc. desserts are also a big hit. Service is top notch. So many great staff here. Don't take my word for it. Try it. It's simply the best. Evening food ism also amazing. U must go here.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank brandyandginger1
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We have visited the Causeway Hotel several times before but never for the Sunday Lunchtime Carvery - we'll be back! The staff were friendly and helpful and we chose the 2-course option, as distinct from the main course only or the 3-course options. Our starters were very good but it was the carvery itself which was truly excellent. One is offered a choice of 3 meats from the selection of at least five and the portions served were very generous. Still from the chef's counter there were several 'extras' on offer such as parsnip crisps, caramelized apples, pineapple slices and mini-cocktail sausages. Moving along the servery we were offered a wide selection of vegetables, yorkshire puddings (delicious!), stuffing and gravy. There's a certain feeling of guilt seeing one's plate so piled high with food but we coped! We arrived at around 12.30 pm without having booked and were seated immediately, in fact there were only 2 other tables taken at this stage. Within 20 minutes, however, the place was full so we would advise early arrival although at no stage was there a big queue for the carvery. It was lovely to see so many families with young children enjoying their meal. We thanked the chef before we left and he told us that he hopes to be able to provide the carvery on a daily basis during the summer months - we hope so too!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don I
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Popped in for a quick bite and was amazed with the quality of service and standard of food for the price. We didn't book and walked in to a beautiful setting and had a nice glass of wine each.I had mussels and my fiancé had steak sandwich and fries and we would recommend to anyone, hope to return and stay the night.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushmills
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballycastle
Lodge Hotel
Lodge Hotel
#2 of 5 in Coleraine

Been to Causeway Hotel? Share your experiences!