“Week end break”
Review of Causeway Hotel

Causeway Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bushmills
Reviewed October 29, 2013

While staying in Bushmills for a weekend break we decided to revisit the Causeway Hotel for an evening meal. We were met by a very enthusaistic member of staff and as we had not pre-booked she quickly checked and proceeded to take us to a very nice table ,all very efficiently carried out.Our orders were again very efficiently dealt with and very soon we were enjoying a very appetising meal and nice wine. The meal was excellent and the staff carried out their duties most efficiently and were most pleasant and attentive. We will certainly be returning the next time we visit the North Coast area. We revied the Hotel over a year ago and are pleased to say that the management and staff are doing a great job and have turned things around since our last visit . Well done.

Room Tip: Booking for restaurant at weekend advisable
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas M

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

We ran out of time visiting the Giants Causeway, so decided to stay right there. Due to time of
year, we asked for and received a slight reduction in room rate, which pleased us. Room was a little chilly, but large with a good bed & big bathroom. The free breakfast in a huge dining room,reminiscent of a more golden age, was absolutely fantastic, even included whiskey clotted cream for the scones. And the waitress was soooo sweet
with a beautiful Irish accent. Our room was a later addition, but main part of the hotel was built in the 1800s. We will remember this stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Scooper1962
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice stay here too, I stayed on a windy but warm and sunny day and is a 2 minute walk from the Giants Causeway. The food is good and the rooms are tidy, clean and comfortable. Had a good nights sleep here and well worth and stay if your visiting the Causeway. The visitor centre is right outside and a bus runs every half hour up and down for €1.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LeeD901
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I look at some of these reviews and I'm shocked we actually all stayed at the same place.

We had a wonderful stay! We were on a 10-day road trip around Ireland and arrived at the Causeway Hotel on a Friday afternoon with no reservation. We walked in and were given a seaview room by reception- Room 28- which had stunning views outside of the farm and sea beyond the cliff. It also helped that we had brilliantly sunny days the 2 nights we stayed there.

I knew about this hotel because I had stopped there for lunch 2 years ago while on a daytrip bus tour to the Antrim Coast from Dublin. I'm so glad I returned.

The room was spotless, the bed was comfortable, and the side patio out of the room allowed you to get a morning view or a starry gaze at the night sky. You can not find a better location to visit the Causeway stones. We decided to turn a 1-night stay into 2 and just moved into the next room, which still had great views. I couldn't have been more happy with our stay here. We visited Bushmills and the Carrick-A-Rede bridge while there.

We ate dinner 1 night in the restaurant and the mussels I had were delicious and a large portion.

The breakfast setup was ample and the servers were very friendly. Pancakes and eggs were great. I can't say enough good things about the Causeway Hotel. Would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Room 28 is perfect!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeepGirl19
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went to the Causeway recently for a family Sunday lunch. This was my first visit since all the renovations and the National Trust had taken it over. The overall experience was average except for the starter.
Having settled on the game tureen I was horrified to find a piece of lead shot in the meal. I handed the offending shot to the waitress who assured me that she would have a word with the kitchen.
No reply from the kitchen.
NOT IMPRESSED.
Very unfortunate start to an otherwise standard Sunday carvery.
Think it will be a while before I return and I will pass on anything containing game.
I don't want lead poisoning or a broken tooth.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hector3003
rateisgreat, General Manager at Causeway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Hector,

Many thanks for your review, Can I firstly apologise for what happened during your meal, I have spoken with both the supplier and the chef around your issues and have assurances from both that greater lengths will be done to ensure that future occurrences can not and will not happen, As we use wild produce for the dish this is something that can happen from time to time that if using a farmed bird would not, however more care needs to be placed in ensuring from both the supply and preparation that this will never happen again.

Sean McLaughlin

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My sister, mother and myself stopped for a late lunch but were very disappointed with both the food and service. On numerous previous visits nothing could have been faulted sadly this was not the case on saturday 31st August. . We went to the bar but there was no one serving as the staff were in the back area having a conversation, eventually we were spotted and given menus--these were greatly reduced from previous visits with only a few options. It took 20 mins to place our order from arriving. when half an hour later there was still no food i went for a smoke, when i came in my sister said the waiter had come over and said it would be about 20 mins as something was wrong with the computer and the kitchen had not got any orders---you would think good staff would notice they were placing orders but no one was eating. The food arrived an hour after we had arrived the soup my mum and i ordered was cold --i dont mean not scalding hot --i mean no trace of heat. It took another 10/15 mins to get this replaced. They did take 20%of the bill but that was not the point. The Causeway was the one place i always felt able to recommend to friends and visitors, however i will no longer be doing this.

Room Tip: high floors have better views
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank elaine r
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a great 'Home base'. I would recommend to stay two night here and use your car to go left and right out of the hotel to see the rest of what this area has to offer. The rooms are clean, staff is fantastic and there is plenty of parking. And don't forget, the Giant Causeway is next door... A god way to wake up and start of a new day.

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushmills
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
#2 of 2 in Ballycastle
Inn on the Coast
Inn on the Coast
#3 of 8 in Portrush

Been to Causeway Hotel? Share your experiences!