“Awe inspiring”

Titanic Belfast Visitor Experience and Giant’s Causeway Day Trip from Dublin
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Bushmills
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Northern Ireland's most popular tourist destination: this large stretch of staircase-shaped rocks is the result of cooled lava from volcanic eruptions that took place over 65 million years ago.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Giants Causeway is a geological wonder and a fantastic place to just sit down and enjoy. However,normally I am a big fan of National Trust and the new visitors centre is an attractive building with a shop and restaurant,plus a section on the causeway,but to expect people to pay £8 . 50 entrance is a nonsense,and in fact if you do not wish to go into the visitors centre, you can walk staight past it and go to the causeway for nothing.The walk down is very easy and if needed, you can pay £1 bus fare for the return.But however you do it, it is an unmissable sight and strongly recommended.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My stars for the causeway are 5, for the visitor center 0, so I averaged to 2.5. The Giant's Causeway is my favorite natural site in Ireland. I hadn't been back in quite a few years, and after hearing complaints about the commercialism at the Cliffs of Moher (which I didn't like, but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be), I was worried about the building at the Causeway. My first thought when the bus pulled into the car park was, " It looks like a maximum security prison!" (and two people who saw my pictures said the same thing). What you see is enormous black granite walls with fencing along the top. When you go in, the noise level is very high, and there is a huge screen-10 feet tall?-playing an animated film.
As a money maker, it was a good decision; the place was packed(It was school vacation week.) and everyone seemed to be having a good time.
The causeway was as beautiful as it always is, although it was a lot more crowded than I had ever seen it, and I had always gone in July or August, and this trip was in late October- but again, it was school vacation, and a beautiful day.
I think forcing people to pay this amount, when all they may need to do is use the toilet, or park their car, is excessive. I think there are places you can park nearby, and a bus that goes by, so that you can get to the walking trail and then down to the causeway without paying. I'm going to look into this for my next trip, or stay at the Causeway Hotel. It looked like they had a trail that led down without going through the new building. All in all, a disappointing day at a beautiful place.

2  Thank RMH827
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Must see attraction in Northern Ireland. The area is beautiful, you can take a nice walk in good weather or just pay 1 pound to get down to the stones with a bus. Easy to spend a few hours here.

Now the visitor center... Personally I did not pay 8.50 to use their facilities, but according to the reviews here it is not worth it so I am glad we did not buy the ticket. There is a nice an cozy little pub next to the car park if you wish to use the bathroom, a pint is always cheaper than the visitor center entry fee.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Windy Gap certainly was the most wind I had experienced. It was all just magic at the causeway. Wonderful commentary on the headset thing. Very easy to operate. Walked down and took the bus (£1) back! The walkers in our party walked up the 164 "Sheperds' Steps" and walked back around the cliffs! Amazing scenery and stories to fit the scenery. Takes a little over an hour to do it if you bus down and bus back (depending on how able you are to clamber up on the rocks and revel in the awesomeness that surrounds that space.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

If you don't see anything else in northern Ireland don't miss this! No picture can do it justice. It is so big and so beautiful my mind had a hard time taking in that it was REAL. Get the free shuttle bus down to the causeway or it will be a long, hard wind walk. It was a sunny (just after a shower) day when I was there. Be sure to have rain gear and prepare for VERY STRONG wind.