Lismar B&B
Causeway B&B(Bushmills)
$84
$81
Travelocity
All reviewsbreakfast was deliciousour room was spotlessly cleanone nightgiants causewayperfect hostslovely homethe location is perfecta great staylocal areamargarethughhousebedroomcoast
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My nephew, wife and I did a swing through Ireland/Northern Ireland just over a year ago. My wife opted out of the trip planning (she is a librarian and very good at organizing things) so I had to take on the task myself. Our preference is out of the way places so the attempt was B&Bs as much as possible. I found the Lismar B&B through a couple of the on-line review sites and contacted the proprietor Mr Hugh Graham. We exchanged a couple of emails then I called to book our stay. Mr. Graham was particularly polite, pleasant and professional to deal with. My memory is foggy but I was prepared to pay the full stay in advance (as an American B&B would ask) but Mr Graham asked for a nominal sum and only asked that we keep him apprised of our travel plans should things change. He asked a couple of questions about our plans and suggested that we rent a car out of Belfast rather than relying on public transport. Second best suggestion of our vacation.

We had rented a mid size (VW Jetta), but when we arrived at Belfast International Airport to pick it up, Hertz handed over a Land Rover LR4 (strongly not suggested - do you know how narrow those roads are?). Anyway, we started the drive up the coast that Mr Graham had recommended. We would drive around a corner and say "wow! what an amazing view! let's stop and take some pictures." Then the next corner and the next. Mr. Graham's guidance made the drive along the coast a highlight of our vacation. The 90 mile drive took us 6 hours.

Mr Graham's Lismar B&B was very easy to find on the main street of Bushmills just south of the distillery. Lismar has lots of parking and the B&B is immaculate outside and in. You are greeted by a spray of garden flowers and Mr Graham's warm hospitality. The home is purpose built as a B&B and has all of the amenities one would expect. A comfortable living room with large (not American large) reasonable flat screen TV. We were too busy to watch it though. A large dining room, sleeping areas back from the main portion of the house - there was another couple with two children staying at the same time and I have no idea where they were stashed - did not hear or see them except at breakfast. The woodwork throughout the Lismar B&B is warm and welcoming. Everything in the house was immaculately clean and showed the loving care that Mr Graham put into his home.

Showed to our rooms we were very pleased with the light, size and amenities. There were lots of readily available plugs for our electronicalia. The bathroom was small (as most European bathrooms are) but was still easy enough for wife and I to share while brushing my teeth and her blow drying her hair. The bathroom was tile and SPOTLESS. I believe Mr Graham steam cleaned it daily.

My nephew had the upstairs room under the eaves. His bathroom was in the hall but also spotless. Best part was I had to wake him up our second morning there and he sat up so fast he had a bruise on his forehead. Being a bit of a doofus my nephew managed to dump a set of clothes into the shower completely soaking them. When we came back at the end of the day the clothes were washed, dried and neatly folded at the end of the bed.

Mr Graham serves the traditional, full up, Irish breakfast. He was not offended when the delicate Americans (well I'm Canadian too) gently pushed the pudding to one side. He then was happy to suggest that he leave it off the next morning. A very courteous host. Also, be very careful if he offers a cup of tea in the morning. I knew to let the tea cool for a second (I don't know how the British get tea hotter than boiling water) but his was the strongest cup of tea that I have ever had in my life. The strongest ever. Ever.

Mr Graham asked what our plans for the day were and when we responded Giant's Causeway Coast and Dunluce Castle he looked at his watch said "You have to go now" and directed us to the GCC first. Best suggestion of the trip. We arrived at GCC and pulled into the last parking spot of the lot closest to the trailhead. Mr Graham had indicated that we needed to walk the trail first and not dally at the museum/store. Heeding his advice again we meandered at a nice pace down the trail. At the bottom there were about 10 of us, no more than 15, that had the whole place to ourselves. We had amazing photo opportunities, got to clamber over the rocks without interference, and generally had the awe of that amazing place uninterrupted - in peace. After about 45 minutes of the quiet waves breaking in from the sea we noticed that more and more people were arriving until *they* showed up. Bus after diesel bus after diesel bus disgorging 50 to 60 tourists at a time. Looking at each other, we climbed aboard one of the empty buses going up hill and left the noise behind us.

We followed Mr Graham's suggestions to the letter after that. Restaurants, Bushmills distillery, stores for Irish woolens, what time for this, what time for that, dinner reservations, pubs, fish and chips ....

And it was a perfect three days - thanks to the warm hospitality of Mr Graham. My wife and I would choose to stay with Mr Graham as often as we could make it back to Eire - which unfortunately cannot be often enough.

Room Tip: They are all good. All back from the street.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MCM92101
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Wonderful location for touring the coastal road. Within an easy drive of Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge and Giant's Causeway. Walking distance to the Bushmills Distillery.

Warm and friendly service.

Amazing food at Tartine a short walk away.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have just returned from a flying visit to the area were we visit a few times a year, we had a very warm welcome from Margaret & Hugh . The family room was spotless and comfortable with plenty of storage, we had a great nights sleep very peaceful. the breakfast was fantastic with a plentiful supply of tea and coffee. We have stayed in many b&bs and the one thing that makes places like this stand out is how freindlly the owners are and we couldn't have met two nicer people. Thankyou again we would definately recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

So far the best B&B we have stayed in. The location is very good - close to Bushmills distillery and exploring the Northern coast (Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge, Dunluce castle). Our room was new, modern with tea/coffee facilities, bottle of water, toiletries, WIFI. The breakfast area was really nice and the breakfast was absolutely fantastic. We had scrambled eggs on toast and the portion was huge. You could also help yourselves to some yoghurts, cereals or fresh fruit. It really is a 5 star accommodation and I cannot fault it in any way. Both hosts were very nice and helpful. Just small thing - the breakfast are being served from 8.30 which we would appreciate a bit earlier as we had a long way to go that day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The location of the b & b is perfect just a few minutes walk to the town centre and very next to the distillery. You can also reach Derry in one hour drive and It's perfect to visit the Giant's causway and the coastal route! Rooms are beautiful and clean. Breakfast was definitely delicious... Hosts very friendly and give you plenty of information and advice! Just a very good place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2012