“Recommended - but”

Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Bushmills
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: one of Ireland's and the UK's most loved hotels which fuses traditional charm and bags of boutique luxury to deliver the best in hospitality in an area of outstanding natural beauty in Northern Ireland. Roaring peat fires, nooks and crannies and a secret library set the tone. In the bar, still lit by gas light, try a glass of malt from the hotel's private cask and make sure to sample some of the finest North Antrim produce in the AA Rosette restaurant.
Carlow, Ireland
“Recommended - but”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I had a good recommendation to eat here from a friend and local -- the food was good, but not for the price. I heard that it had a Michelin recommendation, but it is not in that league. the food is good, but not as good as expected. the restaurant and bar have a lot of character -- I did enjoy my pre-dinner drink by the peat fire

• Visited May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
UK
“Excellent quality maintained”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Have eaten here many times, and have again not been disappointed. Main course a Bushmills taster, includes Pork Belly (slightly over cooked), Venison and Medallion of Beef, both excellent, complimented with a Black Pudding wrapped in Spinach. On the menu this stood out as the dish to try. Including wine around £40 per head for two course. Not cheap, but merited on quality. Other reviews have found staff aloof, have always found them pleasant and willing to engage in conversation. Lovely ambience, remains my favourite restaurant in Ireland.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A first time, despite being regular visitors to the area”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

It is a serious destination hotel and restaurant, catering to international visitors whom , I suspect, demand the best. It's not unlike many of the finer quality inns that we seek when visiting the U.S, I guess they have done their market research homework.
The hotels situation is pleasant and whilst having access to the town, it has a quiet aspect to the rear with good car parking. The style of the hotel varies from area to area but it all very well kept.
The menus were quick to arrive and and whilst seated in the lounge we were asked if pre-dinner drinks were required. Here is their first problem......no bar menu was offered and to be fair most people stick to the same old, same old.....I usually drink Guinness , G&T's, Manhattans or Martinis, however I very often order one of these only later finding out I could have had a different cocktail.
I was able to elicit a a list of very varied cocktail offerings.....and they took ages to arrive.
Meanwhile We chose from the menu, only to find that one of us was selecting from a 'duff' menu and she had chosen something that wasn't on offer from an out of date 'Carte'. I had chosen from the correct menu very rapidly....unusual for me but soft shell crab was on there and I adore soft shell crab, However that was sold out....and this was an irritant to have chosen without hesitation and then finding it's sold out or off.
I now had to reselect and rethink the wine, because one of my companions was also having to reselect because she had been given the wrong menu.
Most of us were quite happy with our choices, although my quail starter was a bit minimal and 'soon eaten'. My fillet steak was absolutely impeccably prepared and it was of a fabulous quality.
Puddings were good but on the small size.
We shall certainly return, but the cost of eating here is really for special occasions.

Dublin, Ireland
“Fabulous location for anniversary dinner...”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have already reviewed the hotel but would just like to add that both dinner and breakfast were fabulous. The food is locally sourced, beautifully cooked and presented and the entire experience is a treat...

• Visited October 2013
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
“Old World Charm”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Easter Monday decided to go for a leisurely drive along the north antrim coast,stopped at The Bushmills Inn for a late lunch.The restaurant was very busy and as it was a beautiful day many people were eating at tables outside.We were given a table in what might be called a sunroom.The staff were efficient and polite took our drinks order and told us of" specials"gave us menu to look at.The menu was a treat with a good variety from sandwiches ,scones teas coffees to full meals.We didn't have a starter but they did sound very appetising,but settled for main courses.Fish chips and minted mushy peas,venison sausages and chips and beef strips with peppered sauce and champ all were beautifully presented and tasted lovely.Wasnt going to have desert desert until I seen it arriving at next table and we had some also.The hotel is very olde worlde and had an open fire with rocking chairs in the entrance perfect to sip a hot toddy in winter I would think. enjoyed our afternoon and would visit again