“Meal was outstanding”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carrickfergus
Carrick
“Meal was outstanding”
Reviewed March 23, 2010

On Friday night the 19th March 2010, we attended a dinner dance held by East Antrim Old Vehicle Club in the Clarion Hotet Carrickfergus, the meal was outstanding and the table service was first class.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Reviewed December 3, 2009

The hotel reception area is quite impressive, the room we had was not. The room looked tired and in need of a revamp which I think must be on the cards as there is a lot of work going on around the hotel and new building plans in the foyer area. To the side and behind the hotel is a large industrial area which is being demolished and rebuilt. The lorries started arriving and going at 3 AM in the morning. The windows did not seal properly and it was very noisy. Just outside the room is a flood light for the staff in the portacabin for the building site. Needless to say I did not sleep well. The grout and sealant in the bathroom needs redoing although the shower was powerful and the water very hot. The rooms are clean and the bed was comfortable. Restaurant - evening meal - ordered garlic bread with cheese, 12" veggie pizza and 12" pineapple and ham pizza - we got garlic bread (no cheese), 14" veggie pizza and 12" pepperoni and mushroom. There was only 1 other couple in the restaurant. Breakfast was not very good - scrambled egg (the only choice) tasted like it was made with the powdered stuff and beans looked like they had been there for hours. The restaurant also looks like it needs a make over - curtains hanging off, menus stuck together with food and stained and chairs that need cleaning. Having just come from a Premier Inn at £29 per room per night this was a bit of a disappointment at £65 per night. On the plus side the staff were very nice.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed August 20, 2009

American style hotel. Rooms large and uniform. Lots of hot water! A comfortable stay but not a choice if you want character and charm. Price reasonable. Restaurant adequate but nothing outastanding.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed July 2, 2009

We have been travellinig for over three weeks with two to go, so we have seen and reviewed the places where we stayed. I booked into Clarion, which is a chain in the US as well, on the advice of other reviewers. They were so right on.

We were upgraded to a suite on the fourth floor with a view over the Bay. The suite was huge! Two TV's;, twin basins in the bathroom, jacuzzi tub, shower, king size bed. In other words, the works. I think the bill was about 100 pounds! Next I will share the worst experience of our trip (Lochgreen House in Troon Scotland).

My wife talked me into having my first ever manicure. I'm more of a manly-man, so had not even contemplated this before. Sweet little Kat, spent 1/2 hour doing my nails, and they look good. I'm now a convert. It didn't hurt that she spoke a lilting brogue.

The food was OK, but that really didn't matter. the experience was great!

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grapdad
USA/Europe
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We are staying 2 nights at the Clarion while on an extended road trip, and have been very pleased with the hotel. The rooms are big, comfortable, clean, and have some nice extras (pants press, heated towel rack, in-room Wi-Fi, large desk area). Our room has a lovely view (through french doors) of the mountains, the coastline, and the water, and the noise from the street is not a problem at all; we barely notice it.

There was a special event in the restaurant last night, so we had to eat in the bar, which turned out to be fine. The food was good, and prices are more than reasonable. The Irish breakfast (included) was excellent, although the waitress was unfriendly. We ate lunch today at their Sunday carvery, and that was outstanding. A huge selection of foods in a lovely, spacious dining room flooded with sunlight and plenty of room to move around freely.

The Salon Paradise on the premises is top notch, and the real reason I was prompted to write this review - I want to see them succeed! I desperately wanted/needed a massage this morning to help get rid of a 2-day tension headache, but the salon is closed on Sundays. I rang the desk, and they called to see if we could get an appointment for my husband and me, which they arranged. The massage therapist, "Cat", and the owners, Kenny and Leeann (brother/sister) all came in to open up shop, and Leeann even gave me a complimentary manicure after the massage as part of the package. Cat did an excellent job of ridding me of that cursed headache; God bless her and her skills! Kenny and Leeann are delightful, gracious people. The salon is full service, with massages, facials, hair, nails, and makeup services.

Because we travel so often, we are quite fussy about hotels, but even I had nothing to complain about at this facility. The only thing that could be improved upon is the friendliness of some of the staff; although the majority of the staff has been quite friendly (including the housekeepers), there are several (mostly food service people) that are patently unfriendly and could use a pep talk on how to treat guests.

The location of the hotel is perfect for travel along the Antrim Coast, a visit to Carrickfergus Castle (highly recommended), a stroll into town, and is a lovely alternative to staying in Belfast (which we did 2 nights prior - this is much nicer).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Eglinton, Northern Ireland
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I stayed at the Clarion hotel for 2 nights on a weekend deal. There were three of us with me in one room and the other two in another room. The reservation staff were very helpful in booking and accomodated all our needs.

Check-in was a breeze and the rooms were lovely, plenty of space. The views are not good and this isnt the place to stay for the the beauty of the location - it is on a busy road. However, the hotel is very comfortable and there was no noise in the room. I read other reviews talking about noise from the nightclub - I was there on a Friday and Saturday night and it was as quiet as a mouse, although the hotel was busy. The hotel is located on the edge of Carrickfergus - you can walk to the centre easily, or walk along the shore, which is lovely. You are also a very short drive into Belfast. The free parking is a bonus at the hotel too.

The room has a bathroom with bath, over-bath shower, heated towel rail etc, and the room had a TV, good selection of channels, and all the other nexessaries, including tea and coffee making facilities. There was no fridge/mini-bar which was a shame. There was a drinks machine in the corridor though. There is wi-fi in the room, but it costs £10 for 24 hours. This is not very competitive and a lot of business people use the hotel.

There is a Salon attached to the hotel (private) who provide all the usual and some treatments (massage, indian head massage etc). The rates are competitive and the service was just fantastic. Very personal and accomodated everyone's needs. I would highly recommend it.

We had a meal in the hotel on one of the nights and it was very good. The restaurant was really busy and all the food was cooked fresh to order, which meant a bit of a wait. However, I dont mind waiting for food if it is good. Breakfast was lovely, and very relaxed, as it should be. On the other night we walked 2 minutes up the road to the Indian Restaurant which was just fantastic and very reasonably priced. There are plenty of nice restaurants closeby.

This was my second time at the Clarion, the first time being there for business. I would certainly return and really enjoyed my stay. Apart from a fridge in the room and free wifi, I cant think of anything else they need to have to make the hotel better.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
North West Ireland
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I Flew into Belfast City Airport and simply followed the signs for the North then Carrickfergus, This place is slightly outside Belfast City Centre so its easy to get too and park. Seems to be popular for Business Conferences.

Went for a walk into Carrickfergus and had a few pints. Would probbaly think about coming back for a Belfast City break.

A friend somehow managed to get a suite, very nice with Jacuzzi and 42 inch screen TV, probably worht the upgrade (room 401 i think).

Breakfast was good and all the staff, particularly at reception were good.

Cant really think of any downsides, apart from the fact that it isnt in the City Centre

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrickfergus
Premier Inn Carrickfergus Hotel
#1 of 6 in Ballymena
Ballygally Castle
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally

Been to Loughshore Hotel? Share your experiences!